It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rare edited LD
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 05:59 
True fan
True fan

Bought the last US release of Crocodile Dundee . I was surprised to see the scene when the pimp says to Dundee, "do you want to talk or fu*k one of them" edited over. He says "screw" instead but you can see his mouth say otherwise. Plus I saw the film in the movies and know the dialogue.

I've never seen an edited LD as far as profanity ,or even removing an explicit sex or violence scene.
I'm a little disappointed. Not that I'm looking for profanity but I always believed LDs were immune to editing.

Post subject: Re: Rare edited LD
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 09:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This one appear to be heavily edited: Day of the Dead (1985) [58JL-21]. There are also many LDs that have cut movies that remove violence or other deemed inappropriate things. The format were not immune to censorship.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 14:47 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

This one has a line cut out that was in the original airing: Gargoyles: The Heroes Awaken

When Xanatos was speaking to Owen about moving the castle to NY, Owen says to him something to the effect that the locals will be resistant to work on the project because they believe the castle to be cursed. Xanatos responds "You know what I always say, 'pay a man enough and he'll walk barefoot into hell.'"

That exchange was cut from the LD.

Another one I can think of (also animation) was in this set (even though it says COMPLETE AND UNCUT): Golden Age of Looney Tunes, The: vol.1 1933-1948

The short "Have You Got Any Castles" isn't the complete version. The complete version includes an intro and outro by a town crier type character. According to the Looney Tunes Wiki:
Quote:
Lost Ending
- After this film's initial release, Alexander Woollcott, the voice of the town crier, requested that his caricature in this cartoon be cut for reissue after his death.
- The cuts are as follows:
---- After the cuckoo clock sounds and the camera pans over the library, the shadow of the Town Crier appears, which then fades out to the books being presented.
---- The cartoon ends after Rip Van Winkle blows away the fighting cowboys and Indians by opening a book called "Hurricane", and then the then-recent book Gone with the Wind pops up before fading out.
- The 1995 USA Turner print restores these cut scenes.[4]
Since the box set was released in 1991, it didn't benefit from that restoration.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 15:37 
True fan
True fan

samaron wrote:
This one appear to be heavily edited: Day of the Dead (1985) [58JL-21]. There are also many LDs that have cut movies that remove violence or other deemed inappropriate things. The format were not immune to censorship.

With Day of the Dead it seems the makers used a cut for tv version. That's a Japaense LD. In all my years collecting I just never ran into it. I believed the format was presenting the purest form of a film. I stand corrected. I wonder how common it really was?

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 12:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

remington wrote:
Bought the last US release of Crocodile Dundee . I was surprised to see the scene when the pimp says to Dundee, "do you want to talk or fu*k one of them" edited over. He says "screw" instead but you can see his mouth say otherwise. Plus I saw the film in the movies and know the dialogue.

I've never seen an edited LD as far as profanity ,or even removing an explicit sex or violence scene.
I'm a little disappointed. Not that I'm looking for profanity but I always believed LDs were immune to editing.

That reminds me, I played knifey spooney with a real wowzer tonight, strewth.!

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 13:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Here is only a guess.
They got the same print for cable TV and used it for the LD to release faster???
Then they would have re-released it widescreen etc. and that would have been uncut.

From what I remember, LD at the time was the full version of the film only when it was remastered or taken care of or the directors cut.
All other releases were random, but for the most they were not altered with language like the crocmeister.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]