It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Goldfinger box set, 7 hours long???
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 05:08 
True fan
True fan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGM-James-Bond-007-Goldfinger-cav-7hrs-long-Laser-Disk-set-/162573771114?hash=item25da26e16a:g:zlEAAOSw8d5ZV8tT

I don't know where this guy gets his LD info from, I don't have this set, but there's maybe what, 1 and a half hrs supplement material? maybe a little more?

It seems more and more I see people make ridiculous claims on LD tech so they can jack prices..
Looks like it's missing on insert as well....

Post subject: Re: Goldfinger box set, 7 hours long???
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 16:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

a more reasonably priced example; http://www.ebay.com/itm/LASERDISC-1962- ... 1114&rt=nc

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 19:33 
True fan
True fan

Yes that is a good example, I've had it on my watch list, it has been relisted several times, I just don't know how this seller(first one) expects to sell this when much affordable options have not sold, but I suppose seller can name the price.

I did message him, asking why he claims the box is 7 Hours, he replied "not sure, that's what I was told"

Also seller updated the listing to disclaim he "has not tested any of the laserdiscs"

It just puzzles how in the age of google people can't take 5 minutes to search up on something, yet take the time to list on ebay.
All in the name of making a quick buck I guess..

Then again this seller seems to not deal too much in LDs so that's an explanation, and I know there are more extreme cases then this,
It just caught a nerve with me for some reason...

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 20:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

This is just another good reason to buy from some dealers or resellers more than others.
You are truly taking a risk when buying from these fly by night LD sellers who have no idea as to playback quality or any other info.

Even if that box set of goldfinger had the maximum hour on each side it would be 6 hrs, never any more.

Since this is a CAV/CLV set that's another story.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 16:06 
True fan
True fan

It's true that it would be impossible to fit 7 hrs into that set, I know the first 2 discs are CAV both sides containing the film, then all the extra content is on disc 3, which I believe is CLV on one side only, but someone who has the set would need to verify that.

Seller also posts running time on each disc side says approx 3 hours 4 min, by that logic either that would mean the set was 18 hours long! (impossible) or the logical explanation is the total time for set including content is 3 hours 4 min. again someone would have to verify but thats my guess.

I have no idea where 7 hours come from.

Just lazy people not reading up on LD

Recently I saw a listing for an early 90s CLD model (501 I believe)
listing stated it "played dvds great!"

Also the guy I bought my 704 from was absolutely convinced that it could play dvds....

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 18:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The retro gaming market especially the retro computer hardware market is just as bad. There's always people with ridiculous prices compared to others; these types are always the uninformed and too lazy to research or acknowledge but are just flat out greedy then wonder why it never sells only to end up tossing it instead of ever lowering the price.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 22:37 
Honest fan
Honest fan

@chaniyth

You're absolutly right. Idiot sellers with prices far away from reality are spreading like the plague.
Even after months of relisting the item(s), they never ever lower their dreamed price(s), and they reject every offer.
Maybe they don't want to sell something ... only to attract people to their shops ... or to boast /show off what they have in their farawayfromreality-shop :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 00:34 
True fan
True fan

It's an old claim many studios make. They count the commentaries along with the bonus features.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]