It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:31

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: collectibles inside, generally cards
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 14:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also had lengthy discussions back in the days with Nicolas Santini to figure out if these came with bonus booklets or if the booklets were added by the owners later:

Infinite Escher/The Works of M.C. Escher (1990) [CSLW 1219]
X2 (Double X): Image Clip in X (1993) [SRLW-1577]

Some Japanese DTS releases would also sometimes come with a sheet of shiny DTS stickers.
A lot of the POLV-xxxx Hard Rock re-issues also came with a sheet of bonus stickers.

Julien

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 16:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

A few horror movies released in Japan have some odd "collectibles" inside like pieces of 35mm film of the movie:

Gates of Hell: Collector's Special (1980) (Uncut) [00LS 34~5]
Zombi 2 (Zombie): Collector's Special (1979) [00LS 15~16]

And postcards:

Suspiria/ Deep Red: Spectral Collection (Uncut) [SHLY-113]

While others had posters (only 1st title below is Japan released):

Sanguelia (Zombi 2) (1979) [00LS 32]
Cat in the Brain, A (1990) (Uncut) [BOS-001]
Zombie Holocaust (1980) [DFE 985012LD]

And others had photos:

Phenomena (1985) (Uncut) [SHLY-90]

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 21:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

admin wrote:
Also had lengthy discussions back in the days with Nicolas Santini to figure out if these came with bonus booklets or if the booklets were added by the owners later:

Infinite Escher/The Works of M.C. Escher (1990) [CSLW 1219]
X2 (Double X): Image Clip in X (1993) [SRLW-1577]

Some Japanese DTS releases would also sometimes come with a sheet of shiny DTS stickers.
A lot of the POLV-xxxx Hard Rock re-issues also came with a sheet of bonus stickers.

Julien

I’ve have some discs I got second hand from Japan where when there was pre-order stuff they’d store it with the disc. My assumption is that those little Star Wars books were distributed at the shops in this way because it’s really uncommon to print a booklet that small for a 12x12 sleeve. It’s very improper from a design perspective since it’s basically a lump in the jacket. That’s putting uneven pressure on the disc and the jacket.

I’d check the magazine ads announcing the release date. They probably mention a “present” (プレゼント) and that’s probably what that is in the case of Star Wars. Bandai was giving out some really nice booklets with Locke the Superman and Gundam 0080, almost worth paying for on their own with metallic ink and lots of line art or manga. They were about 11”x11” but too thick to put inside. In some cases the preorder bonus would be a disc. When The Wizard of Speed and Time was released in Japan on LD the bonus was an 8” LD of the original short.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 03:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
je280 wrote:
Have had a few sealed (& opened also) over the years copies of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace PILF-2830 & a few of the sealed ones came with a small poly bag with some rather nice cards enclosed. Not sure of the exact numbers but apparently the first 5000 copies had the cards enclosed though another number I was given was the first 2500 only came with them, can anyone else help with the possible number that came with the cards?

I had several copies going through my hands (both sealed and opened) over the past 20 years and I never got any cards with them.

However if you look at this auction, I do see them on this copy:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l430431786
Attachment:
takuonbin.jpg

Julien

The new copies I had in total was 3, plus over a few years 3 or perhaps 4 opened. Of the 3 or 4 opened copies only 1 of them had the cards included.

Bought the sealed ones in perhaps 2006-ish give or take a year or so & the opened ones came in collections bought over a few years - did not pay much for any of them & the sealed ones cost me no more than around $8 to $10 each back then plus the postage.

All except one of the opened copies included a large THX / Dolby sheet with text in Japanese which looked like a standard insert in all.

Of the 3 sealed copies 2 came with the cards included. They were in a small reusable poly bag inside the gatefold cover, not on view through the cover bag outer. All the sealed ones were bought from the same seller. I thought they may have been perhaps promo or sample gave-aways with the cards included as extras but he thought they were a limited number insert with 2500 or 5000 the figures given but he was not sure & I could not get any further info or confirmation on that.

None of the sealed ones & I am pretty sure none of the opened ones that still included the poly bag outer on the covers had any stickers on the outer bags, again not sure if they had any originally applied to them. The disc is LD-G enabled & LD-G discs often had a sticker on the outer to highlight that & it is also a THX disc & Dolby Digital as well but no highlight stickers on any copies I have seen, perhaps not applied to the latter issued discs. Were any stickers on the outer cover bags of this title when new as I have not seen any that have?

Can't confirm if it was a limited number (whatever that number may have been) insert or not but 2 I have opened had the cards inside.

This title was the last really "big" release in Japan & I was told that at least 10,000 copies, perhaps more, were pressed & though that is quite a few copies issued not that big apparently compared to major releases from a few years earlier but don't know accurate numbers - anyone have Japanese release number figures? Exact numbers pressed may be hard to come by but LD sales/chart figures would be a good guide to sales at least, anyone know where to find them?

Any info would be helpful as given the LD babble that can happen it would be good to clarify the card thing on this title.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 05:05 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:
I’ve have some discs I got second hand from Japan where when there was pre-order stuff they’d store it with the disc. My assumption is that those little Star Wars books were distributed at the shops in this way because it’s really uncommon to print a booklet that small for a 12x12 sleeve.

Oh yes you're right, Japan CD/LD/Book shops used to do that a lot in the 90's!

There would be some new release (新発売/shinhatsubai) campaign and if you'd buy this or that between the release date and X days/weeks later they would throw a telephone card/keitai (mobile phone) strap/poster/pamphlet/etc.

I still have a X Japan mediator I got when buying the CD of "DAHLIA" in Kyoto at release, or the LUNA SEA keitai strap for "SHINE".

That was probably how it was done: buy The Phantom Menace brand new in the shop and get a set of bonus cards either in the original first copies or as a side present.

I did buy brand new original LD back in the time (Laputa cost me a fortune!) and even right after the release: Princess Mononoke (1997) [TKLA-50300], Hana-Bi (1997) [BELL-1236] or the last City Hunter TV Special on LD City Hunter Special: Death of Ryo Saeba (1999) [VPLY-70729] I had seen live on TV in January of the same year. But I missed TPM because I left Japan mid-1999 and only moved back mid-2000. TPM was released April 2000.

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 07:37 
True fan
True fan

店舗特典(テンポトクテン/tempotocten)
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E5%BA%97%E8%88%97%E7%89%B9%E5%85%B8
https://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdic.nicovideo.jp%2Fa%2F%25E5%25BA%2597%25E8%2588%2597%25E7%2589%25B9%25E5%2585%25B8&edit-text=&act=url

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 15:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

cold_sleeper wrote:
店舗特典(テンポトクテン/tempotocten)

Didn't know there was a word for that. Thank you!

Julien

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2