It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:18

Page 4 of 5 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Very First LD
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 05:11 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

The Full Monty, it was the first one I ever spun up. Now I can't get rid of it. I think my collection is respectable coming from that low point.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 17:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

What's wrong with The Full Monty? It's a pretty great comedy, IMHO.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 19:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, i got the initial base elements of my LD collection back around 2004 or so,
from a privately-owned home video specialty shop that had a large new and used LD selection, all at 75% off.

i spent $60/70 that day, forming a solid basis for my brand new budding collection.
IIRC, among the first discs i immediately picked up with full intention to purchase
were the the original cover art STEREO editions of the original crew STAR TREK films, 1~6,
so, if backed to the wall, i guess i'd have to claim those as my "Very First" Laserdiscs.

my very first LDP, however, was a 1990 CLD-1080. it lasted a whole two weeks
before it got wasted in an accidental fall down my grandma's staircase,
and my second LDP ended up being a 1986 LD-838D that lasted me until i acquired my dream player,
the 1988 CLD-3030 i still use to this day in a completely rebuilt/refitted/refurbished form, all done by my own hand...

CLD-1080 (1990)

LD-838D (1987)

CLD-3030 (MODIFIED) (1988)

Last edited by tasuke on 09 Feb 2016, 20:05, edited 1 time in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 19:17 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

muzer wrote:
What's wrong with The Full Monty? It's a pretty great comedy, IMHO.

I didn't care for it. Not my cup of tea so to speak.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 19:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Fair enough; we all have our tastes. I just found it surprising that you didn't consider it a good place to start!

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2016, 23:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

muzer wrote:
Fair enough; we all have our tastes. I just found it surprising that you didn't consider it a good place to start!

Do you have it on Disc?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 00:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I do! This PAL version http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/18853/EE- ... -Monty-The

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 03:42 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Do you want the NTSC version?

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/08141/048 ... -Monty-The

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2016, 04:54 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I'm OK, thanks — I've been spending too much on LaserDiscs recently to buy multiple versions of things for no real reason...

Post subject: What was your first LD?
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 00:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Like most people my first LD was also at the same time as my first LD Player. I was at Montgomery Wards, and bought a Sony MDP-500 for $75 USD, which was their last demo model, so was cheap. At the time DVD was also out, so it was near the end of their run. They threw in the disc that they had been using as a demo, which was Jurassic Park (1993) 43336. The funny part was that they had the sleeve, but only the first disc so I was very confused when the movie abruptly ended 2/3 of the way through. I eventually replaced it with another copy but still have the original disc at my parent’s house.

I don’t recall the year, but Montgomery Wards went bankrupt in 2000, and my local stores closed. It was probably somewhere in the late 90’s when I picked them up. I know LDs were still being manufactured as I recall frequently purchasing new releases.

Post subject: Re: What was your first LD?
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017, 19:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

But technically, the first LD I ever encountered rather than bought would probably have to be the Dragon's Lair video game back in the 80s. Although, of course, I didn't know it was a Laserdisc at the time. Just that my tiny 6-7 year old mind was dumbfounded at how amazing the game looked.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 01:28 
True fan
True fan

Speed, The Abyss, Licence to Kill, way back in 2010.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017, 02:20 
I just purchased my first LD's today. A lot of 40 movies and a pioneer LD / DVD player. I've wanted a player since I was a teenager but it took me till I was almost 40 to actually get one. There are some good movies in the lot and a few that were later releases I think. Nothing crazy like I've seen posted on here when I started researching when I decided I was gonna actually purchase one. Movies like Forrest Gump, Jurassic Park 1 and 2, Heat, Ronin, Blade, Titanic, Replacement Killers, Braveheart, Apollo 13, etc. a few Disney movies and The Haunting 1999. Everything appears to be in great condition.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 00:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Macross: Do You Remember Love Perfect Edition CAV box set. Some wear on the edges, discs perfect, from a bargain bin outside a video store in Ikebukuro (somewhere around Animate) in summer 2001. Y2000. I was a poor exchange student at a university in Tokyo who was supposed to be studying Japanese. Instead I would skip class, work as much as I could and buy stuff. I got a gen 1 Valkyrie by Yamato at Volks that year too. I would also line up in Harajuku for expensive streetwear. That's always been my problem, too many interests, not enough money.

I had wanted an LD player for years, but in Australia they were only for the wealthy or at least people with full time jobs. In Japan players were still too much for me so I watched DYRL with headphones on players they had in my university's library. I was dissapointed by the PQ and didn't realise these were low-end players. I still loved my boxset and when I came back to Australia in 2002 I bought the only LD player I could afford in a pawn store. Before I bought I asked specifically if it could "do NTSC discs", the staff just nodded. I got it home and put in my only title..it didn't play. The player was PAL only! I took it back and argued for 2 hours until I got my money back. Then I forgot about LD while I worked in a supermarket, struggled to pay rent in share houses and finish my studies. If I had any spare cash it would go on clothes or sneakers. I always knew I would return to LD when I could.

About 10 years ago players finally got really cheap on ebay and I picked up a Pioneer and Star Wars Definitive. Since then have been actively collecting and actively getting frustrated with my lack of maintenance skills and dwindling availability of players. Still, I'll never give up. It's been my "final format" from before I got that first title. That hasn't changed. Have collected about 300 titles and Macross DYRL is still there, I put on the final battle from time to time to remember when animation was still great. It's also my connection to the time just before 9-11 when the world was a simpler place.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 14:10 
True fan
True fan

We got our first player in 1983 (an LD-660 -talk about a behemoth!) and we got 2 discs at that time - one was "Picture Music" - but most of all I remember "The Road Warrior". (Sorry - but I couldn't resist working in that line! :crazy: )

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017, 15:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My first LD came with a CLD-980 that my mother bought for me off Fingerhut in the early 1990's. She knew that I wanted a player and bought the player as a gift. She paid for it monthly out of her social security. I was very pleased none the less.

Along with the player was an LD: Laser Optics II, The Future of Home Entertainment. The LD was a demo disc divided into 7 chapters on side ! and 4 chapters on side 2. Side 1's chapters were named: The Best Show in Town, The Sharpest Picture, The Purest Sound, The Hottest Entertainment, Total Control, The Best Screen in Town and The Video Home Theatre. Side 2 had chapters named: Breaking the Ice, The Best Show in Town, Surround Sound Demos and The Video Home Theatre. Each chapter was designed to demonstrate one aspect of how the LD player performed. The LD is copyrighted 1989. I still have the disc.

On the jacket, there are 2 chapters telling the sources. To quote the jacket:

"The audio portion of the disc features CD quality digital audio. The disc was digitally assembled, mixed and mastered using digital source material whenever possible."

"Most video on this disc came from 1" or component Betacam sources."

I find the last above sentence interesting in that they used a Betacam tape as a video source and Pioneer admitted it.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020, 22:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I bought my first Laserdisc in 2015, it was Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition (1991) (Uncut) [82997-2WS].
At first I was only interested in the covers and the technology. Over the years I've bought more and more films and finally several players to watch the films.
The Laserdisc format is still magical for me and always will be.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 18:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I got my first two at almost the same time. They were a P&S copy of Scarface and Genesis: In Concert 1976.

My main reason for getting into LD was getting rare music titles that weren't available on any better format. I was tired of getting low-quality bootleg tapes of stuff. That Genesis disc still hasn't been released on DVD! Or even VHS for that matter...

This was in 2004. I ordered my first player at the same time, an LD-V2200. I still have that player, and it still works fine! I've never done a bit of maintenance to it. It's an absolute tank.

I love the format, so I started expanding my movie collection as well over the years and now have just under 300 discs total. And seven players! Ranging from that lowly LD-V2200 up to the pretty decent DVL-919.

I also write software.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 19:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. I have a V2200 that a friend gave me when the company he worked for no longer needed LD. This was like maybe 2000. It’s the oldest player I have and for sure not the best picture but has never developed any problems. It’s also the quietest player I’ve ever owned, including the LD-W1, despite it not being particularly heavy for an LD player.

I think it has a long metal screw for moving the laser...but I’m not sure because I only opened it once 20 years ago...I feel like I could put in in a kiosk and it would run on repeat for the next 10 years at least.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 03:01 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Double impact and a Pioneer CLD-D501 in 1992.

Page 4 of 5 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next