It is currently 04 May 2024, 03:50

Page 4 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: who owns the most laserdiscs here?
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 22:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

disclord wrote:
Does it matter who owns the most? A more important criterion is, does the collection represent films and programs the owner really cares about or did they just buy discs to have a large collection? I've known many LaserDisc collectors who fit that description. They want to own the most to feel superior.

No it doesn't. It is quality not quantity that is important. From my own perspective I'm very pleased I've managed to assemble most of the titles I ever wanted and so quickly when most people gave up on the format decades ago. My collection may shrink a little as I sell off the unwanted titles I acquired from buying lots of used laserdisc players but I'll never sell the titles I personally selected myself.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 22:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I haven't counted but my collection is small. (maybe 200-300 discs) But alot of the discs I have I've only ever seen 1 copy of that I got, and replacing them would be imposible. So not always how big your collection is, as to how rare are the discs are that you have.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 22:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

disclord wrote:
does the collection represent films and programs the owner really cares about or did they just buy discs to have a large collection?

i feel for my collection there are about 85-90% are discs that i want to own, the rest are discs
that i picked up in lots or really cheap to watch but see that they only sell for a buck or two and
i don't want to toss them since they won't end up selling, and i could watch them again or enjoy
the film again at one point in my and my LD life :thumbup:

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 09:01 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
My collection rose from 4586 laserdiscs to 6039 in less than a year so it is still growing very rapidly.

I've also lots of uncatalogued stock in a pile not yet added.

I'm way behind that. As of 1/11/2013:

DVDs: Over 2,000.
LDs: 1,173
16mm Film Prints: Over 200
CEDs: 33
VHDs: 21
UMDs: Over 20

STAY AWESOME! :)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 18:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

At one point, I had over 100 35mm film prints. Now, I have only 11.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 23:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

vinylcollector wrote:
I haven't counted but my collection is small. (maybe 200-300 discs) But alot of the discs I have I've only ever seen 1 copy of that I got, and replacing them would be imposible. So not always how big your collection is, as to how rare are the discs are that you have.

Hi vinylcollector,

I echo everything you said, as well as what was said by disclord and laserdisc_fan. I may very well have the largest collection here, but I never set out to have the biggest collection, just the very best! I realize that there will always be someone out there who has a bigger collection than mine. I take much greater pride in the fact that everything in it was something I personally selected. There are probably numerous discs in my collection that may mean nothing to anyone in the world but me. More than the overall size, I am prouder of how widely varied my collection is, and of how many truly rare discs are included. My collection contains such variety that there are discs in it which don't belong on the same planet, much less on the same shelf! I have numerous discs which no one else has registered a copy of on this site. I like knowing that I may be the only person on the planet with a copy of a particular disc, even if no one else cares to have a copy of it! I am also very proud of the achievement of having preserved all of these rare discs and documented them here for everyone to enjoy!

David :)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 23:59 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I feel just as enthusiastic about collecting laserdiscs as when I first started.
There just seem to be so many great music titles still to discover - found a few tonight actually I've always wanted!
I've also been broadening my collection to include some more movies as I love those as well.

I'll be collecting music til the day I die. I've no idea what size of collection that will finally result in, nor do I care.

Page 4 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4