It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best of Sleeves, the Worst of Sleeves
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 15:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have been slowly replacing all my crummy, round bottom, inner sleeves and bagging with fresh outer sleeves. It is turning into an expensive project. I am checking to see what inner and outer sleeves other collectors are using, and compare orientation methods.

For inner sleeves, I have settled on the 3-ply, rice paper sleeves. I prefer the stiffness of the poly-lined paper sleeves, but I find the lip of the middle circle snags when I put it back in the jacket. I haven't found any real distinction between brands, so I'm looking for the best price.

I store LDs vertically on the bookshelf. If I use outer sleeves with no flap, and I align the opening of the sleeve with the opening of the jacket, the outer sleeve bunches up when I put the LD on the shelf. With resealable flaps, and again I align the opening of the flap with the opening of the jacket, the flaps snag on the adjacent disc. So I have to put the LD in the sleeve flap end up. That being said, I haven't found an outer sleeve I love yet. Here are the ones I have tries and their drawbacks:

BCW 33 RPM Record Sleeves-- Enormous. Double disc gatefolds swim in these. I easily put two Star Trek TOS LDs in each sleeve. They were so cheap I bought 200 of these and I hate them.

Bags Unlimited 12" Record Jacket SLEEVE with RESEALABLE flap, 12-3/4 x 12-3/4" x 1.5 mil Polypropylene.-- They were satisfactory, but since I live west of the Mississippi and had to pay for shipping, found them a tad too expensive for what I was getting (almost $30/100).

Record Rescue. 12" Record Outer Sleeves - Outer Resealable Sleeves - Extreme HD Poly 3 Mil 12 3/4" x 12 1/2"-- The quality on these are the worst. First of all, the tape is on the flap so it sticks to your jacket. About 20% of the sleeves were missing their glue strip. Size was inconsistent and seams split easily.

Collector Protector Premium Record Sleeves-- Decent. I found them a little sloppy for single discs, and too small for gatefolds. Plus the flaps are too long.

What inner and outer sleeves do you find the best? Where do you buy them? And how do you align everything on your shelf?

Post subject: Re: Best of Sleeves, the Worst of Sleeves
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 16:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Man...another one of you sleeve guys. Do you like Star Wars?

There are several posts here about why the “round bottom” sleeves are the best. All the noobs have to learn for themselves. I made the same mistakes myself decades ago. Keep all those elephant condoms until you figure out why you want to reinstall them all.

As to the other question, no flap, opening on top (openings should be alternately stacked so that nothing can ever roll out). Sliding the disc out with the sleeve still on is ghetto and used discs I’ve bought often show wear on the sleeve opening from how the previous owner bumbled the discs back in every time. Everything comes out every time and then goes back in perfectly flat every time.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 18:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I can't agree more.
I also can't understand how common sense doesn't come into play with stuff like this.

I too am one of those that replaced all the elephant condom inner sleeves with super high end LP sleeves, well the only good out of that was that I was able
to sell them off and buy the EC sleeves with the money.

So in other words, I wasted a lot of time but lucked out and didn't waste any money to learn that I didn't need to do what I did to begin with.

Now I just buy the EC's straight from Japan and replace any worn out ones IF and only IF they are torn or really dirty, which is very rare.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 19:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
There are several posts here about why the “round bottom” sleeves are the best.

I guess it's worth repeating why.

Or pointing to one of those posts. I'd like to know myself.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 20:45 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I can understand not replacing ECs if they're still in excellent condition. If they're fine, I leave them alone; I'm not replacing them just for the sake of spending money. However, I get most of my LDs at thrift stores, used record stores, etc, and nearly 100% of the time the EC is torn or crumpled and shoved down in the bottom of the jacket. If I have to get something in there to replace the damaged ones anyway, why get the same thing that fell apart last time? Many of the used vinyl LPs I buy come with rough, static-prone paper sleeves, so I like to get something I can use for records and LDs.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 22:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Search on ebay or an LP store for the Japanese sleeves, I believe they call them ricepaper even though they are all plastic.
You can pretty much find them under Vinyl listings and they are sometimes in America but mostly from Japan.
Anti Static.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 03:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think I’ll make a video about how to handle an LD. I don’t appear on camera normally and I’ve shot this idea down more than once but I think I’ll finally try it. I’ll let everyone know if I actually do it.

And yeah, I do mean litterally how to take a disc out of a package in the player and back. Something that banal.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 15:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While you're at it, you should make a video on how to remove a CD from the CD case, or even how to put a cassette back into a case :eh:

Do you put side 1 or side 2 facing out before you close the case :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 17:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I don’t appear on camera normally

Then don't! You don't have to point the camera at yourself, just your hands.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]