It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:06

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Player Upgrade Question
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 14:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've been thinking about upgrading my 2 existing Laserdisc Players ( a CLD-925 and a CLD-59) with a CLD-HF9G which is the Japanese version of the CLD-99. How much better would the picture quality be? and are there any other improvements?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Player Upgrade Question
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 18:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Going by what those players are based on, I can say that going from a DVL-919 (which is about the equivalent of a CLD-59, since they're both based off or have the PQ equivalent of the CLD-D60x) way back when to a CLD-79 (based off of the CLD-D703/4 like how the CLD-99/HF9G) the jump in quality was quite noticeable with less video noise and a sharper picture.

Just depends on how much you plan on spending for that upgrade. I wouldn't say it's worth $250 more.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 19:45 
True fan
True fan

It really depends on the condition of the player and what you want to see.

The 2 players I run most are my 704 and DVL-90.

The DVL is based off the 504 chassis like the last poster said which personally I think is a bit inferior to the 503/704/99 family, which IMO the design and build quailty is better, the noise level should be a little lower.

That said when I compare these players I can't say one is noticeably better then the other, the 704 may have slight edge, but it also has noticeable issues with smearing, which is something the DVL doesn't seem to have a problem with.

Also I would take into consideration if you use a lot processing on your signal, the difference might not be so great.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 21:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s about the biggest upgrade you’ll ever be able to afford to make. Beyond the 99/97/R7G/704 the price climbs very quickly into players than cost thousands instead of hundreds. I’d say go for it. I’ve had a 99 for about 7 years now and I love it to death. It’s the best player I’ve ever had except *maybe* the LD-W1 which it destroys in outright video quality. I would honestly describe the video as flawless, as flawless as it’s going to get on a format from the late 70s. Fair disclosure my display is a XBR960 which is also very good and it makes LD look very good.

I’m speaking of the US “woody” CLD-99, btw.

If I could have a 97 instead would I? Or an X1/S1 Yeah, probably. This is really nice too and the picture quality doesn’t get that much better after the 99. I think you’re %99 of the way there, with the 99, I guess. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 22:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My first Japanese player was an S9 which is also based on the 503/704/99 line. The PQ was great but as sjoerg mentioned these are prone to smearing if that's something you're sensitive to. Ended up being a deal-breaker for me and I moved onto other players.

Have you considered something like the CLD-959 which is the Japanese equivalent of the CLD-97 (or I think the CLD-939 is based on that design too)? These probably don't cost much different on YJP; though shipping will due to the extra weight.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2018, 00:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It’s about the biggest upgrade you’ll ever be able to afford to make. Beyond the 99/97/R7G/704 the price climbs very quickly into players than cost thousands instead of hundreds. I’d say go for it. I’ve had a 99 for about 7 years now and I love it to death. It’s the best player I’ve ever had except *maybe* the LD-W1 which it destroys in outright video quality. I would honestly describe the video as flawless, as flawless as it’s going to get on a format from the late 70s. Fair disclosure my display is a XBR960 which is also very good and it makes LD look very good.

I’m speaking of the US “woody” CLD-99, btw.

If I could have a 97 instead would I? Or an X1/S1 Yeah, probably. This is really nice too and the picture quality doesn’t get that much better after the 99. I think you’re %99 of the way there, with the 99, I guess. :)

LD and VHS both look great hooked up to those HD Sony CRTs.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 14:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

alien wrote:
I've been thinking about upgrading my 2 existing Laserdisc Players ( a CLD-925 and a CLD-59) with a CLD-HF9G which is the Japanese version of the CLD-99. How much better would the picture quality be? and are there any other improvements?

Thanks

I had a CLD-HF9G 2 years ago.
You can see my test here :
https://retro-visual.jimdo.com/laserdisc/ld-players/
It is the third test of the page (roll down)

In my point of view, it will not be a good "upgrade". This player's image is not bad, but very poor quality of material.
CLD-97 / 959 or LD-X1 / S2 are far better in term of image and quality of material.
and yes, CLD-HF9G smearing is really hurting eyes...
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]