It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for Mr. Goodbar [LV8874-2]
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 12:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Does anyone have any information on this LD?

If it were possible I'd like to rent this movie, but since it never was released on region 1 DVD or Blu-ray, and doesn't seem to be available on any streaming network I use, it looks like the Laserdisc is my only choice. If someone here does own it, is the picture quality decent? I assume, since it was released in the '80s, that it's transferred from a release print so I'm not expecting any miracles. At the same time I would hope it wasn't one of those LDs given what would be considered a shoddy release even in its day. (I read that the Discovision version looks too dark and murky.) Any info on this is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Looking for Mr. Goodbar [LV8874-2]
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 18:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

For early 80's Paramount releases in general you want a copy with ISBN+UPC, which denotes a usually rot-free late 80's Pioneer US repressing.

Given this was a 1983 original release, the earlier copies are more likely to be good than their 1980/81 issues - anything from that point is risky.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 23:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm amazed that this hasn't been released on DVD or Bluray. Is there a reason for this??? Seems like something Criterion needs to do rather than some of the stuff
they've been putting out in past years.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 07:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
I'm amazed that this hasn't been released on DVD or Bluray. Is there a reason for this??? Seems like something Criterion needs to do rather than some of the stuff
they've been putting out in past years.

I have no idea. I couldn't find any information regarding the reasons for it. It's not like the movie was a box office flop that's been forgotten about. It was a commercial hit that was nominated for 2 Academy Awards. I can only assume it's some sort of rights issue, possibly due to licensing of songs used in on the soundtrack?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 14:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I saw that on IMDB it says there was a DVD release but I couldn't find anything other than bootlegs on ebay.

Very strange, I thought I remember there were a few different versions of the film, or it could have been a TV cut rather than the theatrical version??

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 12:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
I saw that on IMDB it says there was a DVD release but I couldn't find anything other than bootlegs on ebay.

Very strange, I thought I remember there were a few different versions of the film, or it could have been a TV cut rather than the theatrical version??

I've only seen bootleg DVDs of this movie for sale online, too. I also looked for different region codes in case it had a foreign release on DVD, but no such luck.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 20:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

G and J Rarities has handled a half-dozen or so copies of this LD over the years. I always check all three sides at both ends for rot before I will list it for sale. The edition is prone to rot afflictions, especially "helicoptering audio" distortion. The transfer is vintage Paramount and can get grainy and smeary in very dark scenes. The brighter scenes are better than VHS. I don't think it would project well at all but big screens are fine. Audio is only okay.
It's a very hard-hitting drama that leaves one devastated. Great performances by Diane Keaton, Levar Burton, Richard Kiley, Richard Gere and Tuesday Weld.
Slpcase jackets are flimsy and oftenfound with edge tears and shelf-wear.
Hope that helps.

John

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 07:35 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gandjrarities wrote:
G and J Rarities has handled a half-dozen or so copies of this LD over the years. I always check all three sides at both ends for rot before I will list it for sale. The edition is prone to rot afflictions, especially "helicoptering audio" distortion. The transfer is vintage Paramount and can get grainy and smeary in very dark scenes. The brighter scenes are better than VHS. I don't think it would project well at all but big screens are fine. Audio is only okay.
It's a very hard-hitting drama that leaves one devastated. Great performances by Diane Keaton, Levar Burton, Richard Kiley, Richard Gere and Tuesday Weld.
Slpcase jackets are flimsy and oftenfound with edge tears and shelf-wear.
Hope that helps.

John

Yes it did. Thanks!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 02:09 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I used to own this disc. The transfer is good but slightly soft like many of the early 80s Paramount discs (American Gigolo, Star Trek etc).

The film itself is less than mediocre. It made me think of that SNL perfume commercial parody where Gilda Radner needs the right scent for a one night stand.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]