It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:40

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sealed Song of the South LD on ebay
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 23:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I remember seeing it on the Disney Channel as a kid in the early '80s when I lived in the US. It didn't make me hate or disrespect black people in any way. Uncle Remus was just a character. How many other stereotypes did we see growing up?

I liked it but not as much as the Davey Crocket stuff.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2019, 03:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Sold for about 85 dollars, which sounds about average for this release.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 23:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
I’ve been meaning to start a thread about old shops like Dave’s Laser, Ken Crane, Laser Perceptions, Mikado Laser Japan, or whatever else.

Fascinating stuff indeed. The Laser Perceptions listings are interesting, this one is from a 1992 ad. I posted a bit of digital archeology on the old UCI "alt ant" shop after some of it's NOS LD stock surfaced at an Irvine comic shop in this thread https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4242 (note my name there is "guest" as my old account got messed up after I didn't log in often enough).

Nikaku Animart seems the sole survivor from that era, complete with lasers still in stock at 1990s prices http://www.nikaku.com/catalog/video/video1.html Nikaku seems like an interesting little time warp that would be neat to check out if I was on the West Coast. The Bunka-do closing was really something too, a shop with bins full of new anime LD as late at 2013 in California (wrong coast again, ugh): https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3199

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 00:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Future War 198X for 134.40

Thanks for the post of those pages.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 20:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
why preserve it? If everyone hates it. from what I remembered I liked it but then I was young and impressionable.

Also I somehow stumbled across it while looking for something else.

For the same reason there’s a holocuast museum. It’s on LD because Birth of a Nation is on LD. When you erase horrible things from the past people forget that the progress was ever made. Progress is also invisible when you’re standing still. Because Song of the South exists it’s a little harder to believe the rose tinted view of America’s mid century period that some people have. When someone wants to say “There is no racism. There never was any racism.” you have proof not only of past injustice but also of progress made since then...and it makes people want more, not less. It keeps them aware and unwilling to settle for anything that looks like it heads backwards again.

I’m pretty sure Disney is holding onto it for release at some point in the future. I believe there were plans for a DVD as an Internet only adult collectors item but Disney being what they are and America being what it is right now particularly they haven’t found the opening they need. Now even if they release it in Asia again a lot of people will jump on them for it. No place is off the radar for Disney anymore. They are too big so they’ll have to release something wholesome and life-affirming like Deadpool 3.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 20:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
I remember seeing it on the Disney Channel as a kid in the early '80s when I lived in the US. It didn't make me hate or disrespect black people in any way. Uncle Remus was just a character. How many other stereotypes did we see growing up?

I liked it but not as much as the Davey Crocket stuff.

What you probably saw was animated segements from Song of the South which were used in many comps, TV shows, etc. I don’t think it was ever on TV in whole but some of the songs have their own music videos and sing along VHS releases. The actual movie is half live action and very boring for little kids usually.

These days it’s not like it’s going “make you racist” or or whatever. It’s more about it just being impossible to enjoy...both for anyone who has the historical context to see the darker stuff and for complete airheads. Neither sees what they like. I’d think it’s just downright weird looking to today’s eyes. Like “Why the hell do they talk like that?” kinda stuff. It grates on the ears and eyes.

When they put out Bing Crosby CDs today it’s easy to just leave the black face off of it and people will forget about that but some stuff is tainted from stem to stern and isn’t so easily reused ages later.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 00:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I haven't seen Deadpool 2 yet but Deadpool didn't offend anybody................

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 04:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Somehow there is a Deadpool Blu-ray at my house. I want to secretly destroy it somehow.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 05:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Gross. Who bought it?

Edit: RE Deadpool Bluray

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 05:32 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
xtempo wrote:
why preserve it? If everyone hates it. from what I remembered I liked it but then I was young and impressionable.

Also I somehow stumbled across it while looking for something else.

For the same reason there’s a holocuast museum. It’s on LD because Birth of a Nation is on LD. When you erase horrible things from the past people forget that the progress was ever made. Progress is also invisible when you’re standing still. Because Song of the South exists it’s a little harder to believe the rose tinted view of America’s mid century period that some people have. When someone wants to say “There is no racism. There never was any racism.” you have proof not only of past injustice but also of progress made since then...and it makes people want more, not less. It keeps them aware and unwilling to settle for anything that looks like it heads backwards again.

I’m pretty sure Disney is holding onto it for release at some point in the future. I believe there were plans for a DVD as an Internet only adult collectors item but Disney being what they are and America being what it is right now particularly they haven’t found the opening they need. Now even if they release it in Asia again a lot of people will jump on them for it. No place is off the radar for Disney anymore. They are too big so they’ll have to release something wholesome and life-affirming like Deadpool 3.

Well they seem to give mixed messages like women I've know. But anyway Disney was and is [I think} want to stay an entity that is wholesome and uncorrupted like what Song of the South has and goes against the values they currently have.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2