It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:34

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Getting into Laserdisc
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 21:30 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I second the hook it up to a CRT comment. Laserdiscs look pretty bad on flat panel LCD's, especially since the newer TV's tend to have s****y composite picture regardless what's plugged into it.
My Sony HD CRT TV does some amazing stuff to composite video to make it look really good, I assume that to be an ideal setup.

Both side players are fairly common, as it became a pretty standard feature before the 90's hit. I had good luck with a Panasonic player, good picture and all that. It sucked for Fast Forward and rewind, and couldn't get CAV features to really work, but for just watching the movie the picture was quite nice. Otherwise, most seek out Pioneer players. See what's around you, shipping will likely be expensive if you buy online.

Last edited by speedyink on 04 Feb 2019, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 22:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I picked up a 22 inch 2010 Sony Bravia LED set for free.

PQ was junk until I went into the settings and adjusted hard, I mean really hard.

Took about 5 minutes, turned all NR OFF nothing, turned sharpness down to around I think 8 on the scale, so it would be around 1/4 up from nothing.
And I get a decent picture for LD, not as good as my newer Panasonic LED set from 2014 or 15 but nice.

You can get a decent pic from newer sets you just need to adjust hard and not 1 selection at a time, turn it HARD...

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 22:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
Even that 504 I have which is karaoke has both side play. It's the player Ive been watching everything on lately.

Yeah, I have one of those too, come to think of it. Looking at the history of the things again they are mostly Both Side.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 06:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
forper wrote:

There is absolutely no better way to view a movie made pre 2000 than on the best pre 2000 equipment.

Pretty sure this means you can't use your HD CRT anymore. ;)

I don't claim to have the ideal display equipment, mine is close though and I'm very happy with it.

Wide CRTs debuted pre 2000 so I consider my '03 set to be of the same era, experience and class.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 16:44 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi guys!

I am so sorry it took me so long to reply. I had registered and posted from work on Friday and afterwards I tried responding on my tablet, then computer, then phone and it kept taking me to another page and saying it needed to synchronize and the page would just keep refreshing.

Anyway I appreciate all the advice. I can promise I'm not someone who is looking to do fan edits, etc. of Star Wars or anything like that. I just like the idea of old tech and years after getting the 2006 Special Edition DVD set where they included bonus discs with the original unaltered versions I was always curious to watch the actual laserdiscs that were used for those DVDs.

I guess mainly what I was hoping to get from you guys were maybe specific model numbers/brands of players that would play both sides, were reliable and maybe more common in the market.

I'd still love some opinions if you have them.

I also have a rear projections 65" DLP HDTV from around 2007. Would a laserdisc movie look good on that?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 16:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Get a working one.
At this day and age any player is going to be just as reliable.

I wonder how many different TVs they made over the years??? No real way to say if its going to look good or great on your set.
Good luck and enjoy LD, its fun and I'm just happy that I can watch my setup again even if its too small of a TV right now :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 17:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

thunderdome wrote:
I just like the idea of old tech and years after getting the 2006 Special Edition DVD set where they included bonus discs with the original unaltered versions I was always curious to watch the actual laserdiscs that were used for those DVDs.

Why not go for something different? That's what I did.

The DVD honestly looks a lot better than the LD struck from the same master, with better black levels and a bit more detail (although the DVD only has 2.0 dolby digital so the LD at least has the DVD beat on the sound department), and since you most likely already have a blu-ray player or something with it's own video processor, you can get quite a decent looking image out of those things by just subjecting them to a good upscaler. It seemed kind of pointless to buy what was essentially just a worse version of something I already had, but after reading about the various issues introduced by the digital restoration done in 1993, I decided to go with the pre-THX transfers. I was originally gunning for the US "Widescreen Collection" releases since I figured they'd be more affordable and easier to find, but I got a great deal on the Japanese Special Collection releases so I got those instead.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 17:15 
Third post and above
Third post and above

takeshi666 wrote:
thunderdome wrote:
I just like the idea of old tech and years after getting the 2006 Special Edition DVD set where they included bonus discs with the original unaltered versions I was always curious to watch the actual laserdiscs that were used for those DVDs.

Why not go for something different? That's what I did.

The DVD honestly looks a lot better than the LD struck from the same master, with better black levels and a bit more detail (although the DVD only has 2.0 dolby digital so the LD at least has the DVD beat on the sound department), and since you most likely already have a blu-ray player or something with it's own video processor, you can get quite a decent looking image out of those things by just subjecting them to a good upscaler. It seemed kind of pointless to buy what was essentially just a worse version of something I already had, but after reading about the various issues introduced by the digital restoration done in 1993, I decided to go with the pre-THX transfers. I was originally gunning for the US "Widescreen Collection" releases since I figured they'd be more affordable and easier to find, but I got a great deal on the Japanese Special Collection releases so I got those instead.

Yeah I've definitely watched the bonus discs using my blu-ray player many times and just zoomed in once since it's windowboxed. I honestly thought it look great for what it was. After looking online for laserdisc players the last few days I may just have to maybe find one someday locally. Like other posters said, shipping is expensive and it can still arrive damaged if rattled around during the shipping process.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 20:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
thunderdome wrote:

(although the DVD only has 2.0 dolby digital so the LD at least has the DVD beat on the sound department),

This is it. Sound is SO important to Star Wars. When that THX hum comes over the speakers I get a real rush. I prefer LD picture to DVD picture anyday too, no chance of macro blocking or any digital strangeness like that..

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2