It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aladdin (1992) [1662 CS]
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2014, 20:55 
True fan
True fan

Aladdin (1992) [1662 CS]

disclord wrote:
Just got the Disney THX CAV Aladdin LaserDisc - I already own the CLV version which isn't THX or WS and the audio differences are striking. The CLV used the 9db headroom limited Dolby Stereo SR soundtrack while the THX WS CAV used the 20db headroom SR master that was created for the Dolby Digital release prints. The CAV discs sound has a power and clarity that the CLV cant match with its more limited headroom. The CAV has brighter, more saturated colors tha the CLV, but a bit more chroma noise although the Runco and MSB LS-1 eliminate it almost entirely. The CLV appears to be just a full frame open matte transfer but the WS framing on the CAV THX works much better.

Both versions Dolby Stereo soundtracks were surround decoded with the Shure HTS-5300 Acra-Vector Logic decoder which produces superior results to Dolby PL-II or plain Pro Logic.

This CAV disc is a great one, despite the chroma noise that occasionally rears its head. The 1.66:1 framing is perfect, and the print used is in perfect condition with very rich saturated color. The transfer has a lot of detail in it for LD, but the audio is the real stunner. Great dynamics when the action arrives, and also in the quieter moments. Sounds awesome decoded through Dolby PL with a very natural soundfield.
I'm not a real Disney fan and hadn't seen this film since childhood. It was fun revisting, but overall Aladdin falls short of really excelling as a fantasy adventure. The cover art is gorgeous and printed on glossy stock in a nice gatefold.

For usually under $5, this is the steal of Disney LDs.

PQ: 4.5/5
AQ: 5/5, the 5.1 remixes are unnecessary. The only way to improve this track would be to release it as untouched lossless discrete DD 4.0.

Post subject: Re: Aladdin (1992) [1662 CS]
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 02:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Aladdin did have some Dolby Digital prints, so there is a genuine theatrical 5.1 mix for it.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 03:58 
True fan
True fan

Oh, I didn't know that. I guess there were a lot of '92 films that had multichannel mixes originally that went largely unnoticed.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 07:07 
I bought this not long after it first came out its always been a personal favourite laserdisc. I give it a spin quite often the gatefold jacket is lovely looking and Robin Williams is perfect as the Genie.I also have the region 1 DVD giftset. Now just waiting for a Bluray diamond edition.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2014, 09:10 
Thanks for the review, this is one that I will be picking up someday soon. My little sister used to watch it frequently.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2014, 18:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

disclord wrote:
Aladdin did have some Dolby Digital prints, so there is a genuine theatrical 5.1 mix for it.

could this mix be created artifically using dolby pro logic II and low passed lfe to 80-120hz?

never knew about this mix.
thanks

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 19:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I thought the Platinum Edition DVD included both the 5.1 remix and original theatrical mix, which was presented in 5.0. I don't own the DVD, but I recall people saying the songs on the remix sounded awful compared to the original.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]