It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:33

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dire Straits: The Videos (1992) [085 544-1] PAL version
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 08:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Dire Straits: The Videos (1992) [085 544-1]

Dire Straits: The Videos (1992) [085 544-1] is one of the many laserdisc releases by Dire Straits who was well covered on the laserdisc format and had releases in all three disc sizes (5", 8" and 12"). This 12" gold-colored disc is very attractive and my copy shows no rotting whatsoever and is absolutely pristine. The jacket artwork is interesting but not really its best feature from a group of this stature since it borders on the plain side. The video collection feautres 20 of their videos arranged in 10 per side. None of the videos are individualy presented as a single seperate selection, but rather are set against a background or animation that leads into each video using various generated wipes or dissolves at both the beginning and end of each one, thereby eliminating saving each video independantly. This treatment does make for an interesting showing since it is not just a simple start and stop for each video. If one needs the seperated videos those are available on the Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms (1985) [080 166-9] PAL release for the four songs from that album or the 5" CDV releases that were done. "Sultans of swing" and "Twisting by the pool" also had a 5" CDV release as well. Exactly one half of the videos on this release are unreleased material that was included for this edition, each being marked with an asterrisk next to its title on the jacket.

The video quality of this release is basically top-notch all the way through, but some videos look better than others obviously since they were all done at different times and this is to be expected on any title that contains various videos. The opening video "sultans of swing" looks fantastic and you can even see fingerprints on Mark Knopfler's guitar since the video is so sharp. Now on the other hand, "money for nothing" is not as sharp as what was used on the 8" Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms (1985) [080 166-9] PAL release from what I have noticed.

The sound of this laserdisc is a dream come true and consistant across both sides and for all videos. The sound is big and full on this release....no weak sounding videos anywhere on this release. Although it could be just be my imagination but I did notice that "walk of life" seems a bit louder than the other songs, and the same holds true for the 8" release too. BTW, that video is the American sports-themed version on this version.

This is a must-have release for any Dire Straits fan!

Post subject: Re: Dire Straits: The Videos (1992) [085 544-1] PAL version
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 20:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I've got the Pal 8". It is nice that it contains all their videos i like.
I would like to get the 5" Brothers in Arms one day.

I remembered when CD really took off that there was a vertical glass showcase in the middle of our local record store with only the Brothers in Arms CD exposed (I guess it was the first, or one of the first cd's released).

Lateron there was also a cdv version of it, containing only a few songs and one video none of us, nor someone in our vicinity could ever play.
I would have liked to have bought the cd and cdv back then, but at the time i went living on my own and got the money, the cdv's were not in stock anymore.

But i am lucky with the 8" ld, though if i come across an ntsc version, i'd buy that one as well as most of my 'golden' discs are starting to go, unfortunately :( .

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 17:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I have a NTSC pressing by DADC USA. Fortunately, it doesn't show any signs of rot.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 13:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

discoman wrote:
I have a NTSC pressing by DADC USA. Fortunately, it doesn't show any signs of rot.

It does not show any rot because it is one of the earlier "releases" by DADC USA. Anything below 2000, in this case it is no 1602, in the
mint marks should be OK.

That Dire Straits: The Videos PAL Version, was it manufactured by PDO UK ? That would be an important piece of information to have and
maybe you could submit it to the database, too.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 17:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Were these videos shot in PAL video or NTSC? Most European artists shot their videos in NTSC for the bigger American market and MTV. I wish there was a definitive way to get technical information on videos. I am not a big fan of NTSC to PAL (or vice versa) conversions, there isn't a none destructive method.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 02:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just fired up my NTSC version. (1992) [38350-6]

No,rot here, and pretty awesome still 25 years later.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 03:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

substance wrote:
Were these videos shot in PAL video or NTSC? Most European artists shot their videos in NTSC for the bigger American market and MTV. I wish there was a definitive way to get technical information on videos. I am not a big fan of NTSC to PAL (or vice versa) conversions, there isn't a none destructive method.

That's why it is often times the best to get the NTSC discs of the titles if available.
I think most of those NTSC musicvideos were transcoded to PAL for the European market in those 'golden' cdv discs with on top of that the bad pressings of PDO. Lately i tried to watch Family of Five - Level 42 and it was completely unwatchable now, totally rosted since last year when it played fine. I can sort of throw i away now. It is totally mottled and bronze instead of golden.

I don't know of videos being transcoded the other way around PAL->NTSC.

Only discs you are sure were shot in PAL exclusively (or upped from 24fps film to 25fps) come to mind for example J M Jarre Concert for Tolerance and the discs of Mylène Farmer and early test and demo discs of for example Philips etc..
These PAL discs that were also shot in PAL are the only discs that really shine pq wise because of PAL reproducing colours in a better way than ntsc (never twice the same color) plus having a higher resolution. The only downside is that there are no highest end PAL players like with ntsc players.

I also wished there was more insight how cine scanning and/or videographing was done and to what format per title or per batch.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]