It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Contact (1997) [PILF-2548]
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 20:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Contact (1997) [PILF-2548]

After I reviewed Contact (1997) [15041], I decided to visit the Japanese release Contact (1997) [PILF-2548] and also compare both of them to the US release Blu-ray. The Japanese release is free of rot.

The video is exact copy of the US release except the encoding is at 0IRE for Blacks whereas the US release is at 7.5IRE. You will need to set your display/processor to PC black levels to view this LD properly. All of the minor issues of the stellar US release is also present on this release. Since the Japanese release is free of rot and the US release is a known rotter, you know which one to hunt for. The Japanese subtitles are entirely outside of the 2.35:1 framed image. The chapter marks are on different spots than the US release btw. For more detail on the picture quality, please visit the US version review with the link above.

The audio is also exact replica of the US release. I have nothing but good things to say about it. More detailed review is on the US version review. I didn't listen to them but according to lddb.com member anita-yun, the commentary track is Japanese. This release has LD-G in English whereas the US version has CC in English.

Now when it comes to the Blu-ray version, it smokes both LDs out of the water. It's like removing a veil from the picture. Its obvious it comes from the same print and the color timing isn't molested. There isn't any sign of DNR or EE and the slight banding effect I've witnessed on the LD isn't present here. The audio is in Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and the exact replica of the LD. The US version Blu-ray is the definitive version for this film period. If you are buying this film to watch, don't waste your money with the LD. The Blu-ray is cheap and leaps better. If you want the LD for collecting sake, seek the Japanese version for a rot free copy.

The picture below has the US version on the left and the Japanese version on the right. The Blu-ray in the middle looks like missing its vitamins but believe me its on steroids.

Equipment:
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD - 60" Plasma Monitor
McIntosh Mx-121 AV Preamp/Processor
McIntosh Mc207 7ch Power Amp
Pass Labs XVR1 Active Crossover
Meridian 519 RF Demodulator
Martin Logan Theos L/R Speakers
Martin Logan Stage X Center
Martin Logan Descent I - two subwoofers
Martin Logan Motion 4 Side and Rears
Lumagen Radiance 2144 Video Processor
Pioneer HLD-X0 Reference Laserdisc Player

Attachments:
Contact.JPG
Contact.JPG [ 85.54 KiB | Viewed 3429 times ]

Post subject: Re: Contact (1997) [PILF-2548]
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2016, 06:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning Substance,

Thanks for the review of all versions....... Not the DVD.

I have two US Versions / One Japanese version and US DVD.

The Laserdisc versions richer warmth especially as its more spacial and lower end effect sound is preferred for myself personally.

Not doubt I shall purchase the Blu-Ray version is on the cards........

I hope you are well, thank you for your viewpoints in your posts...... always welcome.

Take good care,

Sincere Regards

:wave: :wave:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 03:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

One of the few times where the Japanese covert art on the LD is worse than the U.S release. The Japanese cover looks like a photoshop job gone wrong.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 05:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
One of the few times where the Japanese covert art on the LD is worse than the U.S release. The Japanese cover looks like a photoshop job gone wrong.

Have to agree with alien on that score, wtf where they thinking......
Inner gatefold is ok though .....

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]