It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:39

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Slipstream (1989) [ID6764VV] vs. [SF047-1653]
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 03:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

In this review, I am comparing the US release Slipstream (1989) [ID6764VV] and the Japanese release Slipstream (1989) [SF047-1653]

It is a rather unknown film, so a few words on it first. For the good part, the films stars Mark Hamill(Luke Skywalker y'all), Bill Paxton, Ben Kingsley and F. Murray Abraham. Got interested? I know....but why didn't you hear about this film before? Well.., now the bad part, it is a bad film! It's a cheesy sci-fi from late the 80s but we love that, don't we?

Let's talk some technical stuff. The US version is listed P&S whereas the JPN version is LBX for a 1.78:1 frame. I have a reason to believe they are both framed and masked differently from the original 35mm print. The US version has a little more information on top and bottom but still cropped from sides. I gave up watching the Japanese version after 10 minutes, more on that later. Per imdb, the intended ratio is 1.75:1 so the JPN version is the correct one for the purist but the US version is so well framed, it is my choice.

Now let's evaluate the video. Neither version can be considered good. They are different masters for sure. The Japanese version is orange tinted and the US version is blue tinted. The JPN version has heavy chroma noise. Orange is made up of secondaries which is even weaker on the NTSC signal on LD than other colors. This might be a good reason the JPN version is chroma noisy. Teal/blue is among primaries, although well saturated colors isn't LD's main strength, it suffers far less on primaries. The US version is reasonably well in noise levels for both chroma and luma. You can even see some film grain and texture. This is not a superNTSC master so most colors are dull as usual. To sum it all, if you want the original aspect ratio and orange tint, you will have to put up with heavy chroma noise. If you ask my opinion, I prefer the clean US version, in fact, the blue tint isn't as pronounced as the orange tint on the JPN version. For the record, the JPN disc has Japanese subtitles within partially in picture.

The audio is good, not magnificent but good. The score is well Star Wars'ic, the composer must have been carried away with Mark Hamill's presence. Remember, this film was made only 5 years after the Jedi and Hamill is still fit. It is a Dolby Surround encoded sountrack and rear surrounds are active the entire film. A lot of ambient and orchestral scores filling the room. I think the soundtrack of this film is very enthusiastic and well above average. Both JPN and USA discs have the same soundtrack for the record. They are both consistent with each other.

Neither jacket is interesting. They are both single disc with CLV encode. The JPN disc comes with obi. The US disc has the theatrical poster on the front.

Notes: This film appeared to have been shot in Capadoccia in Turkey. It is a several millennia old natural valley with some of the oldest human settlements traces such as an underground city with many caves. It is said that the local people today speaks Aramaic natively (which Jesus spoke two millennia ago)

Post subject: Re: Slipstream (1989) [ID6764VV] vs. [SF047-1653]
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 16:02 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

As soon as you mentioned Mark Hamill's name I knew it was going to be a bad movie.
His name has become synonymous with terrible movies.
I can't think of a single movie he starred in after Star Wars that was any good. Can anyone?
He seemed to drift from one turkey to another.
By the end of the 80's he was all but forgotten about, never mind the 90's and beyond.

Compared with Harrison Ford who's career was in overdrive at the same stage it is quite striking how it all turned out for both actors.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 23:15 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
As soon as you mentioned Mark Hamill's name I knew it was going to be a bad movie.
His name has become synonymous with terrible movies.
I can't think of a single movie he starred in after Star Wars that was any good. Can anyone?
He seemed to drift from one turkey to another.
By the end of the 80's he was all but forgotten about, never mind the 90's and beyond.

Compared with Harrison Ford who's career was in overdrive at the same stage it is quite striking how it all turned out for both actors.

Fair point as when Harrison Ford was billed in features he was in them as Harrison Ford, his name was draw enough but Mark Hamill was usually billed in publicity material as Mark Star Wars Hamill & he really was not a very good actor (only my opinion).

It was pretty poor & the original publicity material really pushed the Star Wars (rather overused) connection with Gary Kurtz as producer & Mark Hamill in an acting role, even that could not get the bums on seats for it - the ticket returns were truly abysmal.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 03:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Slipstream was shot at a 2.25 to 1 aspect ratio. The Japan LBX LD is closer to that, but yes, it doesn't look all that great. It's pretty rare.

Hamill was brilliant in The Big Red One.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2015, 14:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

He was in kingsman, briefly, thought he did ok. Other than that hes great in the cartoon regular show as the character skips. Of course skips doesn't look or sound like Mark Hamill but still the character is good.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 16:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Love this movie and have the JP disc and the 35mm trailer that has been scanned

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2016, 16:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

glen_m wrote:
He was in kingsman, briefly, thought he did ok. Other than that hes great in the cartoon regular show as the character skips. Of course skips doesn't look or sound like Mark Hamill but still the character is good.

Yeah, his true calling is voice acting, which he is very good at.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 13:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Slipstream is a great film, and Hamill gives a terrific performance here.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 05:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Update: SGL entertainment recently released this film on Blu-ray in the Killer Sci Fi 3 Pack among with Creature(another great B-flick) and Incident at the Raven's Gate.

Slipstream is in Full Screen like in the US laserdisc. The other two films are in OAR. They are put in a BD25 with the total file size of 17.9GB. As you can guess, they are compressed AF. Average bitrates are about 7mbps and the encoder is mpeg-2 only. They are clearly upscales from SD masters. They all suffer heavy DNR.

Lately there has been a lot of talk about Laserdiscs vs Blu-rays. OK this is one example. I will still say the Bluray has a tad more detail. The quality is on par with Moontrap BD which I think has a bit better picture than LD and DVD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]