It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:24

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ferrari of the Art [COLE-50004] Hi-Vision LD Review
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 20:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Ferrari of the Art [COLE-50004]

I recently purchased this Hi-Vision LD. It was perhaps my all time most wanted. I love cars, more importantly, I love Ferrari cars. I viewed and reviewed here.

The disc starts with back then the newest, a yellow Ferrari F50. Only 349 were built for select Ferrari customers for Ferrari's 50the anniversary. You had to own multiple Ferrari's prior to be eligible to file an application to purchase one of these. After the short introduction by some guy in the F50, we see many slow pans and static shots over some Ferrari heritage cars in the Ferrari Club museum in Japan. Cars from 50s to mid 90s, ranging from street cars to race cars. After the tour, we watch some closed circuit race under rain then back to the same guy with F50, this time we get to see more of the legendary F50.

The video is absolutely the best I ve seen from any Hi-Vision LD. Most Ferrari cars in the video are in red and the muse encoding replicates it excellently. This video is on par with Sony Test Disc in terms of detail and sharpness but surpasses it in colors. You can easily fool someone for a Blu-ray disc. The resolution loss on slow pans and fast motion shots are very minimal, you really have to look carefully to notice. Colors, especially reds pop like it would on a Blu-ray disc. I didn't see a single issue to report on this video. Excellent contrast, a lot of detail in blacks, no chroma noise in inky blacks. No noise whatsoever on the disc actually. This disc will be my absolute Hi-Vision demo from now on.

The audio is Dance encoded B-mode 2.0. It's an excellent soundtrack. I didn't use Dolby Surround on this viewing since the soundtrack is entirely classical music, I opted for the stereo mode. Excellent stereo seperation, very high fidelity and very full bass from the string instruments. Those not into classical might find it boring but after the first a few minutes it was enjoyable listen.

Now the bad part, the jacket is crappie. It's a gatefold but I wish it was a digipack like other Hi-Vision LDs. The single disc is protected inside a clear sleeve. It's easier to get the disc out for playback, for that its more practical but it doesn't give you the super high quality feel on those digipacks like the Alaska disc.

It's somewhere between rare and not so rare as far as Hi-Vision LDs. If you can find it, don't hesitate to buy it, you won't regret it.

Equipment:
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD - 60" Plasma Monitor
McIntosh Mx-121 AV Preamp/Processor
McIntosh Mc207 7ch Power Amp
Pass Labs XVR1 Active Crossover
Meridian 519 RF Demodulator
Martin Logan Theos L/R Speakers
Martin Logan Stage X Center
Martin Logan Descent I - two subwoofers
Martin Logan Motion 4 Side and Rears
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4449 Ultra HD Video Processor
Lumagen Radiance 2144 Video Processor
Pioneer HLD-X0 Reference Laserdisc Player
Sony MSC-4000 Muse Decoder

Last edited by substance on 17 Nov 2015, 18:38, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Coming Soon
Derman Labs
Anything Of Substance

Post subject: Re: Ferrari of the Art [COLE-50004] Hi-Vision LD Review
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 23:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have never seen the original disc myself however I did see a very good digital copy of the MUSE disc and it looked very impressive.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2015, 12:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thanks for posting that, a MUSE issue I would love to own but it would become rather involved & expensive.

In a round-about way it was the Japanese F1 discs that got me into the LD format.

Got quite a few of the F1 & motorsport box sets & discs issued in Japan & the Ferrari of the Art MUSE release was not issued on the "standard" LD format so it is one I could not play (if I had a copy) without buying a MUSE player, decoder etcetera & I really could not justify that kind of outlay for the luxury of being able to play one disc. The F1 IT'S REAL MUSE release got an (earlier) issue on IT'S REAL & IT'S REAL II & they are rather nice so if I had the MUSE gear that would perhaps be another one I would go for - could be interesting to compare the LD issues against the MUSE one.

Would you know if Ferrari of the Art ever got issued on any other format (perhaps under a different title?) or is this a MUSE only release?

Thanks again for posting the details on that one, appreciated :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 02:59 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I honestly don't know if a dvd was issued. When I turned muse capable, this was the first disc I noticed and really wanted. I have the it's real II on ntsc disc, most times it looks really good. It's real hi-vision disc is in my radar. I actually made a muse to bluray conversion thread a year ago, I bought some equipment but the lack of interest and I was busy, I didn't proceed. If I ever go back to the project, this disc will be the first one. It's only 25 minutes, no side changes, 2ch audio, it all makes it much less complicated to convert to digital.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 11:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
I honestly don't know if a dvd was issued. When I turned muse capable, this was the first disc I noticed and really wanted. I have the it's real II on ntsc disc, most times it looks really good. It's real hi-vision disc is in my radar. I actually made a muse to bluray conversion thread a year ago, I bought some equipment but the lack of interest and I was busy, I didn't proceed. If I ever go back to the project, this disc will be the first one. It's only 25 minutes, no side changes, 2ch audio, it all makes it much less complicated to convert to digital.

Thanks for that.

Perhaps produced with the help of the FERRARI CLUB OF JAPAN as they did issue books, videos etcetera (mostly VHS video back in the day & later DVDs) for members so they are all rather scarce & usually very pricey when issued, the FERRARI CLUB items very rarely turn up for sale & when they do the prices asked are a bit silly in my opinion. As a MUSE issue by DENON does it have any producer details (the Japanese RACING CLUB INTERNATIONAL issued some pretty quirky things but cannot find anything from them on this) anywhere on it as it may be findable on another format - will never have the equipment to play the disc but would like to view the contents.

The IT'S REAL NTSC discs are rather nice & I would assume the quality to be quite something on the MUSE release as the NTSC ones are pretty good for what they are. Good luck with the hunt for the MUSE issue & hope you find a good one at a fair price or trade.

Thanks again for the helpful info :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 20:11 
True fan
True fan

It's really a great MUSE Disc, at least the Museum Tour, where the camara doesn't make any sudden move, it's almost like a slideshow with minimal movement.
Therefore high Quality MUSE Disc.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015, 20:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I watched it twice already. I paid extra attention to motion, the picture is slightly softer but not odd artifacts. I don't know if it just happened to be that way or they purposely picked a rainy day race to shoot this content, it really worked out better for Muse. Any artifact if ever there is blend in with the rain, It's a magnificent disc, even motion scenes are excellent.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 01:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well I have looked in the usual (& some unusual) places for this title on another format without success, if anyone can supply any info on this please post.

Someone had posted a few still shots from the title here on the forum & the images look truly superb, really impressed at the clarity - much better than I expected.

I want it, the disc..... & a MUSE Hi-Vision player..... & a MUSE decoder, but sadly that is not going to happen.

Thanks for the info on this & the input, appreciated.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 04:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Hi-Vision LD to Blu-ray disc

check out the above link. I started that a year or so ago. I have the equipment but don't know sh!t about capturing/mastering/authoring a Blu-ray disc. I asked about contribution(with knowledge) but there wasn't anything substantial. I don't want to waste my time for half a** youtube quality work, I would invest my time if we can present prime quality work. If you or know anyone who is great at mastering a Blu-ray disc, I can revisit the project after thanksgiving.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 00:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have obtained a copy of "It's Real" Hi-Vision & will be reviewing soon.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 01:48 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

publius wrote:
I have obtained a copy of "It's Real" Hi-Vision & will be reviewing soon.

I for one will look out for (& forward to) your posting on that one - thanks in advance :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 13:51 
True fan
True fan

Some pictures quickly made today
It gives a good feeling of the quality of this Hi-Vision disc.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 20:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i love those colores,great

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 22:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takou wrote:
Some pictures quickly made today
It gives a good feeling of the quality of this Hi-Vision disc.

Appear to have missed these when you posted them - a genuine thanks from me for them.

The only thing is that I now really want to see the FERRARI & the IT'S REAL MUSE discs in action but doubt that will happen unless I have a win on the lottery (would have to start buying a ticket!!!) so thanks again for the pictures, very helpful & genuinely appreciated :thumbup: .

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]