It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:29

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: GLORY (1989) 1st & 2nd pressings
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 22:11 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Glory (1989) [70286]

A brilliant piece of historical cinema from director Edward Zwick. Starring (Matthew Broderick) as Col. Robert Gould Shaw, a good reseibliance to the man, who leads coloured, 54th Massachusetts regiment,
against one the countries bloodiest civil wars and the attack on Fort Wanger that cost him, and most of his, regiment their lives for their fight to freedom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/54th_Massachusetts_Infantry_Regiment

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0097441/

First pressing release (that arrived today in the late afternoon delivery).

No chapter stop marks for this pressing so going to have to use the time control or jog shuttle for searching though the film.

The side breaks are better than the second pressing that I brought last month.

Side break coming up which cuts better than second pressing release.

Start of disc 2, side 3. A little minor traces of laser-rot flickers but I'm sure the LD will last many more years for this 1990 pressing.

Picture Oscar winning cinematography (Freddie Francis), the picture can be added with some extra contrast boast and back-lighting from most LCD panels or CRT if some still using them or from the video projector. The dark shadows are clearly visible and contrast level isn't over-boasted with distracting artifact colours that I typical see on some film to video transfers.

Sound Oscar winning Dolby Stereo mix from Soundelux, (now no longer sadly) is great from the start, starting with the late, James Horner wonderful score that plays for most few minutes while the opening story is narrated by (Matthew Broderick) Robert Gould Shaw, that leads into the first bloodiest battles at Antietam Creek, Maryland, 17th Sep 1862, which thunders with cannon fire and muskets over a large wide stage with men yelling/screaming and musket ball whizzing around the surrounds.

Ideally best played with matching LCR at the front of the room to exploit the fullness of the soundtrack at its best.

Bass/sub bass extension is amble just a small touch below 30Hz.

Film
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sound

Picture

With now 5 pressings of the film I own on Laserdisc DVD bluray and HD broadcast saved on the digital tv box and other past pressings owned but no longer VHS rental, letterbox VHS, PAL Encore LD, I have to say its a favorite film, that I like that I find rather moving with its story.

Last edited by laserbite34 on 04 Dec 2015, 22:23, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: GLORY (1989) 1st & 2nd pressings
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 22:14 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Second pressing release that I brought several weeks ago.
Glory/The True Story of Glory Continues (1989) [79256]

This pressing has a documentary added to disc 2 side 3 that was poorly placed in the transfer side breaks as it ruins the ending of the film that fades to black in side 2 and end credits starts on side 3 is a sloppy way of doing it. The documentary could have been put on side 4.

There are reasonable amount of chapter mark stops on this pressing which lacks on the DVD and bluray pressings.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2015, 10:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have the Japanese rental disc, which is cropped down to 4:3, and of course provided with Japanese subtitles down the right-hand side of the frame.

I can also report that I have walked up Boston Common to the Statehouse, & looked upon the monument erected to Shaw & the 54th Mass, with its inscription drawn from the Aeneid because the authorities wouldn't allow the sculptor, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, to put what Shaw's family said he would have wanted for an epitaph.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 00:13 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

publius wrote:
I have the Japanese rental disc, which is cropped down to 4:3, and of course provided with Japanese subtitles down the right-hand side of the frame.

I can also report that I have walked up Boston Common to the Statehouse, & looked upon the monument erected to Shaw & the 54th Mass, with its inscription drawn from the Aeneid because the authorities wouldn't allow the sculptor, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, to put what Shaw's family said he would have wanted for an epitaph.

Tv screen capture of it lets have a look.

The sculptor looks nice, nicely detailed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]