It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:05

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986) [6795-80]
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2023, 05:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Clan of the Cave Bear, The (1986) [6795-80]

I thought I'd rewatch The Clan of the Cave Bear today because it's Daryl Hannah's 63rd birthday.

I saw this movie for the first time at the age of 12 and it really stood out to me then because I wasn't allowed to watch gory or sexual stuff when I was a kid. Plus I always thought the ice age was an interesting time period, and compared to most other time periods, doesn't get too much representation in film.

This movie was emotional at times, it had great acting performances, I loved how the characters communicate with a combination of sign language and verbal sounds. And I love the facial expressions the characters make to convey their emotions. Plus Ayla is my favorite female lead. I love how she overcomes difficult situations by continuing to be herself and not submit to her tribe's ideas of what women can and can't do.

I found a video on YouTube of an interview with Hannah and she said that the filming location was so far away from any cities that the cast and crew had to be taken there via helicopter, and the weather was so chaotic that the helicopter pilot almost crashed into a mountain! Plus everyone was living in tents while they were working on the movie. According to the back of the LaserDisc package, the actors would even dive into freezing water before doing each scene to accustom themselves to the cold temperatures of the filming location. Man, the cast and crew did some WILD stuff; they practically risked their lives to get this movie made! That is serious dedication and effort. It's a shame so few people have seen this movie. It's very underappreciated.

This is one of my favorite movies and I highly recommend it!

Last edited by nekron3043 on 04 Dec 2023, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986) [6795-80]
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2023, 06:34 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I posted this in the movies forum but somehow it transferred to the LaserDisc reviews part of the forum! How did this happen? I'm kind of a noob for this site. Any help or advice appreciated.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2023, 06:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nekron3043 wrote:
I posted this in the movies forum but somehow it transferred to the LaserDisc reviews part of the forum! How did this happen? I'm kind of a noob for this site. Any help or advice appreciated.

Sounds like a review to me, and it gets added automatically to the LD entry as well!

Julien

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2023, 10:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Reading the novel currently.
Cannot reccomend the rest of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel, however love the first half of her first novel.
Really enjoyed the LD. Only viewed once a few years ago. Definitely will review again after reading the book and plan to do so directly.

Cheers to the membership.....

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 22:49 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

firehorse_44 wrote:
Reading the novel currently.
Cannot reccomend the rest of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel, however love the first half of her first novel.
Really enjoyed the LD. Only viewed once a few years ago. Definitely will review again after reading the book and plan to do so directly.

Cheers to the membership.....

Yeah I think the CBS Fox LaserDiscs from the 1980s in general look and sound great! I've also got the CBS Fox LaserDisc of Predator and even the Japanese release of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. I used to have the US Wizards LaserDisc but it got stuttery around the end of the end credits. I love how the CBS Fox LaserDisc packages have a paragraph on the back about the film's production. Their paragraph on The Clan of the Cave Bear's production especially fascinated me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]