It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: KamaSutra: A Tale of Love (1996) (Uncut) [LDVM6609-WS]
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 16:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

KamaSutra: A Tale of Love (1996) (Uncut) [LDVM6609-WS]

-Specs-

Negative: 35mm (Spherical) in Color (Technicolor)
Encoding: NTSC (480i59.94)
Original Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
LD Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 (Letterboxed into 1.33:1)
Original Sound mix: Dolby Digital 5.1
LD Soundtrack: Dolby Surround 2.0
Runtime: 117 min (Uncut)
LD Runtime: 114 min (US Cut)

-Film-

I have first seen this film in 1996 in the movies. I didn't know Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding, Salaam Bombay) back then. To be honest, I didn't know cinema well either. I thought it was some sort of a soft-core adult movie. Well after watching it a second time, two decades later, I disagree with my early statement. Yes, there is some adult content but the main focus is the love story in the film. The story is easily predicted and no big surprises or twists anywhere. It can even be boring to some. I like seeing and learning about different cultures, this movie helped me in that. This movie has every sort of colors, spices, music, dance and interesting locations. Some scenes are demo grade. If you have a short attention span, this movie could be difficult to watch for you. If you like colorful films with amazing cinematography then it is definitely worth a watch.

V-Video-

This LD is from 1997, this is the DNR, EE era but I didn't see any distracting artifacts throughout the film. Colors are very strong, contrast is very natural. I didn't see any excessive amount of DNR but a touch of EE exist (to only very trained eyes). It was very well edited and telecined, there wasn't a single aliasing or bad edit issue. I watched this film on my HLD-X9. It was very clean overall. I could detect some of the film grain looked digitized in some scenes. On my HLD-X0, I anticipate this effect would be much less. Nevertheless it wasn't distracting. I could only tell it came from an 8bit digital transfer. Slight banding in very few scenes exist but again, only if you look for it. This film is very suitable for LD. A lot of primary colors, a lot of close up shots, slowish camera movements. I give it 4.5/5 for now. I will later watch it on my HLD-X0 to see if the digitized grain is due to the player or the mastering itself.

-Audio-

Audio is superb, very dynamic. Stereo separation exist in every scene. The dialog is very clear. I watched this film on my 2ch setup. I used the internal DACs (PCM1702K 20bit) of the HLD-X9. It was very warm and wide in soundstage. The original sound mix is Dolby Digital 5.1. Even if this LD had AC-3, I would still view it in the lossless PCM soundtracks. The depth is that good. Audio is 5/5.

Supplements

There simply is none. This is a movie only release.

Equipment used to view

Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD
Lumagen Radiance 2144
Pioneer HLD-X9
Yamaha RX-A3000
Martin Logan Theos L/R Speakers

KamaSutra: A Tale of Love (1996) (Uncut) [LDVM6609-WS]

Post subject: Re: KamaSutra: A Tale of Love (1996) (Uncut) [LDVM6609-WS]
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 02:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Great review substance.......