It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alien Resurrection (1997) [0032584] DTS NTSC *video only*
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 23:44 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Alien Resurrection (1997) [0032584]

Don't know if it's allowed to post a review of just the video part of a laserdisc... if so, you can continue to read this review! :D

Few days ago I captured this DTS LD (just video) to make a comparison between its colors and BD ones; today I wached the raw capture (just the black levels were lowered a bit) so I thought to report my impressions; I watched it along with BD audio, so of course I'm writing just about the video, even if I'm pretty sure DTS audio will rock!

Let's start from the color grading: it is really different from the BD, and *maybe* the master used for this release used a silver retention processed print. Colors are punchy, alive, in comparison to dull ones found on the BD; skin tones are almost every correct, not natural, as it's expected from a movie set inside a starship full of artificial lights.

Some colors "pop up" from the usually brownish, or other dark tones, background, like for example the green water and the yellow clone tanks. And they seem to never bleed, maybe a SuperNTSC encoder was used.

Resolution is good, on par with the better titles on LD; watched it on a 42 inches PDP, and, apart few shots with a lot of diagonal lines, which were rendered with jagges, as expected, the rest of the movie was very sharp; I noted it in particular when Ripley watch the girl when is taken by the alien, and a lot of small bubbles are emitted by that girl... well, even the smallest bubble is well rendered!

There were very few occasional dropouts - I counted maybe three or four whites one - maybe there are black ones, but they passed unnoticed. There are evident traces of rainbows in tiny colored details; I think that using a very good 3D comb filter probably it will be possible to avoid this problem. Also analog noise is present, but noticeable only in few scenes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: even with low levels not adjusted, the contrast (luminance dynamic range) is higher than BD in many, many shots...

So, thinking that it is a movie shot mostly in the dark, and with an higher saturation than the usual ones found on laserdisc, the quality of this title is very good; often I completely forgot that I was watching a raw laserdisc capture...

EDIT2: THX AC3 is basically the same; when levels are changed (lower black level, higher white level) and the saturation increased, they are identical. Again, no audio, sorry...

Post subject: Re: Alien Resurrection (1997) [0032584] DTS NTSC *video only
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 20:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Aliens (jap LD) and Alíen resurrectión i can confirm they have the correct director intended color grading

In fact cheap VHS releases could be used
to see how white and whiter skin tones were originally.....the wider the gamut is in some HD formats the more difficult the white point to balance it seems to be in some releases...

Some amazing BD releases for me.....Exorcist, Conan the Barbarian

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]