It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:36

Page 2 of 2 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I finally got em' all! (US "Urusei Yatsura" LD's)
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2014, 20:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rather fetching fanart from PIXIV, just saying;

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... d=34459512

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 05:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

tasuke wrote:

No offense intended to the artist but that is feckin' awful! I detest modern character designs, they all look like awful hentai doujin designs. Hate, hate, hate! 90's stuff was bad enough, Dirty Pair Flash and Gal Force redesigns for instance. Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 was another horrible update of gorgeous 80's anime. It seems that the anime industry is following in hollywood's footsteps. They can't make anything decent anymore so all they do is remake old movies and ruin them. The amount of anime "remakes" in the last few years is disturbing to me.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 09:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

No offense, but your taste is freckin' awful.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014, 19:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

segasonic91 wrote:
No offense intended to the artist but that is feckin' awful! I detest modern character designs, they all look like awful hentai doujin designs. Hate, hate, hate! 90's stuff was bad enough, Dirty Pair Flash and Gal Force redesigns for instance. Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 was another horrible update of gorgeous 80's anime. It seems that the anime industry is following in hollywood's footsteps. They can't make anything decent anymore so all they do is remake old movies and ruin them. The amount of anime "remakes" in the last few years is disturbing to me.

I think the picture is horrible as well. I think quite a few 90's series are pretty good, but I do think the quality decline in anime started in the 90's. Dirty Pair is one of my favorite anime series, and I could only stand to watch a few minutes of Dirty Pair Flash.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 12:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lons_vex wrote:

The word is "feckin'". Either you have started watching anime in the past 5 years or you missed the fact that my hatred of the thing is not a reflection on the talent of the artist. It is the f***ing, horrible, "makes me want to throw up" modern style of it. It is an insult to both the original anime designs and of course, Takahashi's own designs. I hate modern anime designs, I hate modern game designs. Every time I see some pathetic little girly POS "male" design that the talentless hack that destroyed the Final Fantasy series made so popular, I want to punch something.

alls_wills wrote:

I think the picture is horrible as well. I think quite a few 90's series are pretty good, but I do think the quality decline in anime started in the 90's. Dirty Pair is one of my favorite anime series, and I could only stand to watch a few minutes of Dirty Pair Flash.

Agreed! I do like Flash but the designs, yuck! It is not a patch on the original series though be it TV, VAP OVA series, or movie and BANDAI VISUAL OVAs. It annoys the HELL out of me every time I see some child make a comment like "the animation is good, considering how old it is". 80's and some 90's animation is probably as good as it get's. AKIRA was made in the late 80's for crying out loud!

The digital crap is horrible. It's as if no one knows how to draw anymore. A perfect example of how awful digital crap is in comparison to the glory of hand drawn 80's anime is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The re-animated parts are horrible. It goes from beautifully drawn, highly detailed characters with gorgeous colouring to characters with no detail at all, and badly drawn to boot, with washed out, pale digital colouring. I own all the DVDs but I am going to start buying the LD boxes when I can so I can see the original versions. The static grain on the DVDs is also bloody horrible!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 13:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Wow. Talk about "conviction"...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 18:41 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

segasonic91 wrote:
Agreed! I do like Flash but the designs, yuck! It is not a patch on the original series though be it TV, VAP OVA series, or movie and BANDAI VISUAL OVAs. It annoys the HELL out of me every time I see some child make a comment like "the animation is good, considering how old it is". 80's and some 90's animation is probably as good as it get's. AKIRA was made in the late 80's for crying out loud!

The digital crap is horrible. It's as if no one knows how to draw anymore. A perfect example of how awful digital crap is in comparison to the glory of hand drawn 80's anime is Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The re-animated parts are horrible. It goes from beautifully drawn, highly detailed characters with gorgeous colouring to characters with no detail at all, and badly drawn to boot, with washed out, pale digital colouring. I own all the DVDs but I am going to start buying the LD boxes when I can so I can see the original versions. The static grain on the DVDs is also bloody horrible!

I agree with you on most of your points. Not just in animation, but in games/movies it really bugs me when someone says "It was good when it came out, but now..."; I was trying to explain to someone recently about how their perspective when watching a movie(The Birds in this case) may have changed, but the movie is still just as good as when it was released.

I felt almost exactly the same way about digital animation a few years ago, but now I think that digital can look good if proper effort is put into it(unfortunately almost no one does); they need to do a lot of drawings by hand before going to the digital portion. The movie that made me start thinking this, and what I consider to the best looking example of digital animation, is Redline.

On the subject of Urusei Yatsura and digital animation, a new OVA was released a few years ago, and it looks absolutely horrendous! By the time Urusei Yatsura ended it had some very nice animation, and seeing this new OVA is heartbreaking; the earliest Urusei Yatsura episodes looks miles better than the new OVA...

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014, 07:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

segasonic91 wrote:
lons_vex wrote:

The word is "feckin'". Either you have started watching anime in the past 5 years or you missed the fact that my hatred of the thing is not a reflection on the talent of the artist. It is the f***ing, horrible, "makes me want to throw up" modern style of it. It is an insult to both the original anime designs and of course, Takahashi's own designs. I hate modern anime designs, I hate modern game designs. Every time I see some pathetic little girly POS "male" design that the talentless hack that destroyed the Final Fantasy series made so popular, I want to punch something.

I like new stlye and old stlye anime. You don't? Then throw up some more.
Doh, sorry I made a typo there... "feckin" I'll try to remember that word.
And I've been watching anime for almost 5 weeks now (this is a joke in case you don't get it).
So let me post a new style drawing so you can throw up again. Is that an aussie sport btw?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2014, 22:39 
True fan
True fan

tasuke wrote:

Eh, it looks okay I suppose, but it's way too different of a style.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 22:38 
True fan
True fan

Okay, I realize this topic hasn't been replied to in a while, but I think I have found the worst UY fan art ever created by mankind. Don't reveal the spoiler if you don't want to be blinded.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 23:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
The binder is really awful. I put the discs from my copy into individual blank white sleeves, with a sticker I made on each spine showing 1-10 in binary notation of orange & black stripes. One of these days I plan to put a sticker on each one with episode lists & summaries (from the liner notes) plus artwork.

When I got the Twilight Zone box-sets, I did something similar. Now I never have to open those box-sets and they'll stay on my self, in their plastic, safe, never to be opened again..

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 23:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:

It annoys the HELL out of me every time I see some child make a comment like "the animation is good, considering how old it is". 80's and some 90's animation is probably as good as it get's. AKIRA was made in the late 80's for crying out loud!

!

Yep, I know adults that constantly say this about everything. They don't realise that almost everything has already peaked and the last 20 years have been a race to the bottom in just about every category of consumer products (do it cheaper, more predictably and more safely)

This is as opposed to the 1980s where an enormous surplus of cash in Japan combined with a passion from hobbyists and otaku created a perfect storm of new ideas, creativity and at times lavishly animated masterpieces. Kids these days... :crazy:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2017, 23:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

aaaah, that's better.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 02:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

SWEET ! ! !

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 15:17 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

forper wrote:

aaaah, that's better.

That's a lot better.

Page 2 of 2 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2