It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:15

Page 16 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 17 May 2018, 21:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The BD is effing great. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

PostPosted: 23 May 2018, 10:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

After Part 1 last year where I knew almost all of these series :-)

Attachment:
top1.jpg
top1.jpg [ 284.99 KiB | Viewed 4231 times ]

I'm just back from Part 2 where it was just about 50%.

Attachment:
top2.jpg
top2.jpg [ 216.02 KiB | Viewed 4231 times ]

Now Part 3 will be coming later this year but I have to admit that except One Piece and Naruto, I'm not very familiar with the new ones.

Attachment:
top3.jpg
top3.jpg [ 337.8 KiB | Viewed 4231 times ]

I'm getting old!

Julien

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 00:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Was able to take advantage of the holiday and watch some Zeta Gundam. :D

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 03:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Voltron Castle of Lions and Planet Doom ....
Brought me back to the days of yore .....

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 07:14 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just started watching Iczer-3 via Iczer-3: Hyper Blowing-up Box (1990) [POLH-2016~21]. It's a nice box set. great book included with tons of pictures. Seems like it will be a fun show.
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 10:19 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I haven't been watching a lot of anime on laser disc, although it might change now that I've got a (very) basic knowledge of Japanese that allows me to search for stuff online there.

However, I've recently finished Made in Abyss (absolutely great, but not for the faint of heart ; don't let the cutesy artstyle fool you) and Re:Creators (another gem, but that can only be enjoyed if you've watched several anime titles of different styles). Right now, I've began catching up with Steins;Gate 0 as well (and I highly recommend this to all sci fi and time travel story lovers, watch first the original series if you haven't then the Zero series)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 13:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finished Lupin Part IV a little while back. Last couple episodes were crazy.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 15:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
Was able to take advantage of the holiday and watch some Zeta Gundam. :D

dammit, i'm going to have to get around to some of that one of these days...

anyway, been curious about this show for a very long time now. recently found a complete set at a decent price, and finally decided to give it a shot;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Heart

well... it wasn't bad, per se, but it wasn't great, either.

mainly, a waste of singularly adorable-looking characters that i've had a pretty strong liking for
for well over a decade now. Sad, but hardly surprising.

still, as i had already largely predicted, "Multi" here was easily the best character in the show by far...

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 08:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

On my quest to relearn Japanese and watch all my unsubbed anime LDs I rewatched the Animeigo DVD box sets of Macross TV with subs over the last few weeks.

The idea has been to study Japanese JLPT 4 vocab flashcards before work, watch Macross after work and try to pick up sci fi and military vocab during the episodes, as well as the vocab I've been learning. This is supposed to prepare me to watch Gundam on LD (of which I have all the Universal Century stuff except the original TV series and the 0083 episodes.)

I just finished the last episode of Macross last night and I think by the end of the show I was just enjoying it so damn much I wasn't paying too much attention to vocab. It truly is a classic, classic show. The pacing is just perfect, even the tacked on extra arc is gold to me. Enjoyed it so much. Sure the animation is inconsistent but there is so much gorgeous animation mixed in, and I'd forgotten how much in the last arc, that it does not need reanimating in a "Macross the First" project or whatever imo. Actually the animation style that would show up in Do You Remember Love? begins to present itself in the last few episodes in the way the characters are rendered. Minmay looks more gorgeous than ever in a number of scenes. It's cool too because the characers are supposed to be a couple of years older so it makes sense they look a bit different. I'd forgotten about the quality of some of the animation in later episodes and glad I now fully appreciate it.

The recolorisation by Animeigo is irritating to me, I prefer the Japanese LD Memorial Box's original more washed out presentation, the Animeigo seems artificial, well, because it is..however my Japanese isn't at the level yet to just watch and enjoy the LDs so my trusty Animeigo set I've had since the early 'oughts is worthy..

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 17:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

SDF MACROSS was my Gateway Anime, like many/most others, via it's ROBOTECH "localization"

technically, it started when one of my nephews gave me his very poorly finished IMAI/REVELL ROBOTECH DEFENDERS "VEXAR"
somewhere around 1989/1990. he gave it to me in a plain cardboard box, and i had absolutely no idea what it was, only that it was a cool transformer;

some years on, in 1994/'95, my dad took me to a hobby shop, where they had a good shelf of Mecha kits, and this leapt right out at me, i had to have it;

not long after, i followed my folks into a SUNCOAST VIDEO, proceeded to stumble onto the Anime section,
came across the ubiquitous FHE dual-episode ROBOTECH VHS vols. of the time, and finally made the connection.

we were limited of means, back then, and, and $15.00 per dual-episode tape, i was only ever able
to afford to compile the first several vols. of "THE MACROSS SAGA" still and all, it cemented me down the road
i continue down today, picking up the MANGA VIDEO MACROSS II and PLUS "MOVIE" compilations along the way, among others.

today, i've enjoyed the occasion to see the original raw SDF MACROSS, but only via this HONG KONG BOOTLEG DVD set,
with OK video quality, and an "English" subtitling job that is nothing short of hilarious.

Someday, i really ought to acquire a proper, legitimate SDFM set, but damn of they aren't overpriced, at least to me.

in the meantime, this textual Hyuk-Fest serves me well enough;

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 17:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s interesting that those same models are what got me into Macross but way earlier, from somewhere between the original Japan airing and Robotech. One my my photo copier created catalogs back then had “Macross coming to a station near you as Robotech! Check local listings.” or something like that. When I eventually did see it I had to go to the dentist so I missed part of Boobytrap Pt:1. By then Robotech models from Revell already had their own DC comic and made up story so the whole thing was sort of coming at you from multiple directions. By the time HG’s version of Robotech came out they had given up on models. That was probably just another one of many many dumb HG mistakes, now that I think of it. Models were a massive massive chunk of Macross fandom in 80s Japan since the toys were massively more expensive. Instead plastic modeling basically just continued to die off in the US until Bandai made Gundam started to bring it back recently.

One of the only good things about Facebook is that it allowed me to find the guy who sold me that stuff back in the day. He’s quite a bit older than me obviously but we get along really well. I guess Yamato/Gundam/Macross sticks with you and ultimately gives you common ground with people all over the place and decades later.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2018, 21:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
just another one of many many dumb HG mistakes

Harmony Gold is a mistake.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 05:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

takeshi666 wrote:

Agree with you wholeheartedly. :clap:

After realizing that Robotech was a butchering of three completely different series, I just could not stand watching something that disrespected artistic integrity.

Anyway, moving on, I have been watching Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. Took me something like 3/4 of the first season to finally understand the plot better but now I’m hooked. :)

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i picked up this old BANDAI reissue of that far older IMAI/REVELL kit a couple years back, for the pure nostalgia of it.

though it is and old-fashioned Paint&Glue model kit, i do possess some plastic modelling skill,
so i was able to finish it reasonably well;

more to the moment, this new large, 1/48 scale BANDAI finished model-like transformable toy is due out in DEC.
and i've one locked in on preorder. Expensive, -at around $180 shipped- but worth every penny to hardcore fans such as myself;

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2018, 16:54 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ldfan wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

After realizing that Robotech was a butchering of three completely different series, I just could not stand watching something that disrespected artistic integrity.

Anyway, moving on, I have been watching Knights of Sidonia on Netflix. Took me something like 3/4 of the first season to finally understand the plot better but now I’m hooked. :)

Putting three shows into one was the only way they could have sold those shows in the US at that time. I don’t hold the original concept in contemp. What HG has done in the subsequent decades is unforgivable though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 05:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That's pretty cool, tasuke. :)

Macross is a favorite of mine and it's a shame we won't see more US releases.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 21:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
ldfan wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

Putting three shows into one was the only way they could have sold those shows in the US at that time. I don’t hold the original concept in contemp.

Yeah the "Macross saga" was remarkably faithful to the original. As I was rewatching Macross I often wondered if they REALLY left some parts in Robotech and low and behold about the only thing edited out is Minmay's a**.

I mean in ep 35 a rogue Zentraudi sticks his rifle into an office block and straight up blows away a bunch of office workers, including women. Yep, it was all left in Robotech 8-)

Macross really was an incredible show, imperfect and inconsistent in animation quality but superlative at times. Better than anything before or anything after. Great story, pacing and characters. Didn't talk down to the viewer but was still fun. I hope it doesn't get reanimated.

Tasuke, your HK bootleg set might do you well if you don't like Animeigo's recolouring as I tend not to.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 21:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I finally got rid of my Animeigo dvds, kept the ADV dvds I have of it. Just didn't need to have two sets.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 21:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Insane Sentai Sale Actual good stuff for 85-90% off retail... I went a bit nuts myself.

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collec ... -sale-2018

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 19:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
What HG has done in the subsequent decades is unforgivable though.

Exactly. Their legal strongarming over anybody that even remotely breaches their supposed "copyright" is what earns them all the hate they get.

Although to be honest, another reason we're not getting a licensed version of Macross 7 has to do with equal amounts of greed on the behalf of the Japanese licensors, if the stories I've heard are true.

Page 16 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 64  Next