It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Was just watching US Phantom Quest Corp Vol.1.... Laser rot?
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 13:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello!
I am new to the forum so I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. After not buying an LD since 2002, I have been going mad buying discs from Japan for the past month (sadly for my bank balance I do not see it stopping anytime soon either!). When I started watching discs again back in August, one of the titles I most wanted to watch again was You-Gen-Kai-Sya/Phantom Quest Corp as I never bought the DVD. They were carefully packed away with some other discs and I finally dug them out over the weekend and finally watched Vol.1 tonight.

It was all going fine, it looked as great as I remember and even the analogue Japanese track sounded fantastic (I don't need subs anymore :D ). around the 340000 frame mark which is when Ayaka is just getting to Tokyo Tower to start the final fight with Dracula, there was a weird line about 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of the screen. By the time she was inside the observation deck, the line was much worse. I thought the disc may have done into the player wrong so I took it out, checked for marks (there were some circular lines on the disc on side two, side one does not have a mark) and carefully placed it back into the player and searched for frame 340000.

The same thing happened so I forwarded the picture a bit and the line was EXTREMELY bad and the sound was playing at double speed! I forwarded through the credits but the player died when it got right near the end of the disc.

I tried side two and skipped straight to frame 34000 and sure enough, there was the line but it was on top of the picture this time. Once again closer to the end of the disc the sound played at double speed and the player eventually lost tracking and I quickly stopped the player and ejected the disc. I have not had a chance to try on my second player yet but I watched Hi-Speed Jecy Vol.2 just before PQC and it was fine. Although there is no rot reported for this disc in the database, have I come across my first case of laser rot? I was so looking forward to watching those discs, I am not happy. I guess I will have to try Vol.2 and see if it is similar...

Thank You

Post subject: Re: Was just watching US Phantom Quest Corp Vol.1.... Laser
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 13:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I think rot shows up as colorful dots all over the screen. Luckily I haven't encountered that issue personally. I have a somewhat similar issue with a few of my CAV discs and people on here suggested it was the player out of alignment since it got worse the closer it got to the end of the side. Several of my tenchi discs and oh my goddess skip and play fast at the end and they were 11 gets fuzzy and the digital track skips on my player even though it's CLV. Since you have a 2nd player I'd give it a try on there. I haven't been able to do that wit the ones I'm having trouble with because I'm still trying to find a ld-v8000.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2012, 14:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Thank you for the reply! I forgot all about the laser alignment issue with CAV discs, I did read that a few weeks ago. I was confused by the issue because I thought rot was as you said, as well as black lines going up and down the screen. There were a few little lines here and there but I remember them being there when I bought the discs in 1998/99. It's weird that it is an issue with this title yet Hi-Speed Jecy, Dragon Slayer:Legend Of Heroes Vol.1 and some other CAV titles I have bought recently have no issues.

Sadly, I have no clue if I could even find anywhere that still services LD players in this country to get the laser fixed.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 06:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It varies from disc to disc, something to do with pressing tolerances as I imagine.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2012, 11:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That's not rot, thank goodness. When I read the title of this thread I thought that maybe the "PAnime" stuff was staring to go off. That would be a bit of a tragedy, IMO.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 04:10 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well I did try the disc in my other player and I was able to watch it to the end of both sides but it was still not prefect. The weird line at the bottom of the screen on side 1 did appear but it was very light and not really until the credits. The picture during the credits looked really bad though. When it got to the end of the next ep preview to the still frame extras, it could not play them. Same with side 2. So something must have gone wrong with it when it was in storage but at least it not the dreaded laser rot. Still have not watched Vol.2 yet but I have watched more CAV discs such as Vilgust 1&2, Hi=Speed Jecy Vol.3 and Maryuu Senki with no problems. That main player (CLD-D590, I wish I could fine something decent :( ) does make horrible grinding noises when skipping chapters though. I am sure it needs a service but I doubt I can fine anywhere here to get it done.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 06:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

If the disc is somewhat warped, this kind of effect may occur. I would attribute the "horizontal line" phenomenon to a scratch if it did not appear on both sides.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2012, 07:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah, it really sounds like a scratch or crud on the disc. If not, I'd say its a random manufacturing defect.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 02:18 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The disc is mint with not a mark but I have thought about the warp issue as the cover became slightly squashed as if something had been pressing on it whilst it was stored away. Strangely, Vol.2 is still perfect. I think I will try the anti-warp trick and see if that helps at all.

I do know for a fact that the original problem on my CLD-D590 is without a doubt a laser issue. It was playing CAV discs with no problem after the Phantom Quest Corp incident, but now, the same thing happens to every CAV disc I put in the stupid thing. Always around the 38000th frame. I highly doubt there would be any Pioneer service centres anywhere near I live or maybe anywhere in this country full stop, so I decided to replace it.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 03:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

segasonic91 wrote:
The disc is mint with not a mark but I have thought about the warp issue as the cover became slightly squashed as if something had been pressing on it whilst it was stored away. Strangely, Vol.2 is still perfect. I think I will try the anti-warp trick and see if that helps at all.

Don't mess with the disc until you've tried it on another player. You could end up damaging it.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 03:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan

publius wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:

Don't mess with the disc until you've tried it on another player. You could end up damaging it.

Good advice, I will do that, thank you.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2012, 03:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

publius wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:

agree :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]