It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Some thoughts on ebay anime LD pickings
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 03:53 
Things have been pretty dry lately, as far as anime LDs go, on eBay. I have noticed that the nice stuff, like big Japanese import box sets, often comes all at once: for example, my last "big score" there consisted of the MI LD24, Gatchaman TV box set (I cannot recall ever seeing one of these surface here), and the Yamato Movie Perfect Collection box. All of this came from the same seller (the original owner who imported them), and I have been thinking about the circumstances that trigger these liquidations of a collection.

Making space (girlfriend perhaps complained about the clutter), raising some cash, and in some cases I suspect a collector who died leaving others to sell off their stuff - all of these scenarios help explain the "all or nothing" selection of desirable anime discs on eBay.

It is quite exciting when this does happen: like an anime LD gold rush of sorts :). I think we're overdue for another one of these feeding frenzies, and you can't beat the prices (cheap domestic shipping, for those in the USA, is paramount: the large boxes cost a fortune to ship from JP, aside from using sea mail).

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jan 2013, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on ebay anime LD pickings
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 04:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

harlock wrote:
Things have been pretty dry lately, as far as anime LDs go, on eBay. I have noticed that the nice stuff, like big Japanese import box sets, often comes all at once: for example, my last "big score" there consisted of the MI LD24, Gatchaman TV box set (I cannot recall ever seeing one these surface here), and the Yamato Movie Perfect Collection box. All of this came from the same seller (the original owner who imported them), and I have been thinking about the circumstances that trigger these liquidations of a collection.

Making space (girlfriend perhaps complained about the clutter), raising some cash, and in some cases I suspect a collector who died leaving others to sell off their stuff - all of these scenarios help explain the "all or nothing" selection of desirable anime discs on eBay.

It is quite exciting when this does happen: like an anime LD gold rush of sorts :). I think we're overdue for another one of these feeding frenzies, and you can't beat the prices (cheap domestic shipping, for those in the USA, is paramount: the large boxes cost a fortune to ship from JP, aside from using sea mail).

Yeah I agree. I remember maybe a year ago I didn't even like KOR, but I saw both boxsets on eBay for like 90 bucks and got it. It was pretty good. :thumbup: But yeah, it's been really uninteresting for a while. I've been thinking that perhaps I'm just not searching the right things, but it's good to know others feel the same. I remember also there was a complete Maison Ikkoku set for $60 (plus shipping from Japan, so it was probably a hell of a lot more in total). I kick myself for not getting it, though I think the guy who did posted here once (haven't seen him since though, I don't think).

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 04:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i picked up that astroboy set he had, you picked up that nice gatchaman box set.
i had that series once but never the box set version.

i think it's also people who move a few times and need to unload the collection.
but in the end who really wins? :think:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 15:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It has been a while since someone sold off a collection, or anything of want for that matter. I recall one about three years go where there were hundreds of discs being sold over 3 months with stating bids of $0.99. The worst part about those "purges" is the money required. I can afford about one or two discs a month, but when someone sells 20+ discs I want in less than a month! sigh...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 20:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

hoyeboye wrote:
It has been a while since someone sold off a collection, or anything of want for that matter. I recall one about three years go where there were hundreds of discs being sold over 3 months with stating bids of $0.99. The worst part about those "purges" is the money required. I can afford about one or two discs a month, but when someone sells 20+ discs I want in less than a month! sigh...

Oh man, I know that feeling. I've had to give up on so many discs.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 20:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

who got the LD lot with space firebird / hino tori and the pioneer player?
i wanted some of those discs but just didn't have money for them :cry:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 01:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just snagged a buy-it-now for both US released Hyperdoll LDs! Just when I was starting to loose faith in the 'bay.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 01:17 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

anybody see the copy of Future War 198X (1982) [TE-D014] on ebay right now.

a little crazy on the price, but i wouldn't sell mine for anything less :D
i don't believe it was ever released on DVD in Japan, i checked but could be wrong.

i guess now i'll have to watch mine and give a review of the film.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 08:00 
rein-o wrote:
anybody see the copy of Future War 198X (1982) [TE-D014] on ebay right now.

a little crazy on the price, but i wouldn't sell mine for anything less :D
i don't believe it was ever released on DVD in Japan, i checked but could be wrong.

i guess now i'll have to watch mine and give a review of the film.

The disco scene is just great, with some very smooth animation and real 80s feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqrFj9FnpB0

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 16:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i read somewhere that the same animation studio did the animated GI joe film, and some episodes.
great style that is long gone from animation :evil:

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 19:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Dang, I really want that. I just dropped a hundo on Formula 1 and jazz LDs though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 21:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

harlock wrote:

Back in 2006/2007 there used to be music LD gold rushes almost every week. There were so many great discs on Ebay everyone who collected them was suffering from the same issue - an empty wallet! Often you'd get discs that could sell for $300-$400 one week going for $10-$20 the next as there was no one out there with any more money left to buy them. If you are a seller you need to remember that flooding the market with too much merchandise at once isn't the smartest move.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 19:18 
I just received some discs that I won from the latest anime LD lot to surface. I received: 3 volumes from 3X3 Eyes, Ninja Scroll, a Dirty Pair volume, Armitage III vols 2,3,4 (still sealed), and the coolest finds (IMO): the 1984 edition of Adieu Galaxy Express 999 and the awesome, obscure classic OVA Nayuta.

Here's the Adieu GE999 gatefold. I already have the GE999 Galaxy Box, but there was no way I'd pass up the chance to add this truly ancient, and beautiful, release to my hoard of Leiji Matsumoto LDs:

I was pretty amazed to find this one: Nayuta, a fairly obscure 80s Sci-Fi OVA which I watched on YouTube some time back. Complete with insert and obi, for just $12.84:

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2013, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 19:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I guess it didn't occur to me that Adieu had even been released outside of the Galaxy Box.

I think I was bidding on that Nayuta. I'm not familiar with it so I didn't put a very high bid on it.

I'd ditch that almost-certainly-not-original shrink wrap, btw.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2013, 20:35 
signofzeta wrote:
I guess it didn't occur to me that Adieu had even been released outside of the Galaxy Box.

I have not seen this one on ebay before (the occasional copy can be found on Yahoo JP). No corner obi present, naturally (pretty easy to lose configuration for an obi strip).

I imagine that this 1984 telecine probably differs from the Galaxy Box version, so could be useful from a "preservation" standpoint (i.e. efforts like the preservations of OT Star Wars). Somebody should do a preservation of these Leiji Matsumoto films (GE999, Adieu GE999, Arcadia of my Youth, Queen Millennia), because the digital editions have all cropped the original 4x3 open matte aspect ratio to widescreen, and in the process have lost a significant amount of information within the frame. It is cool to consider that laserdiscs are still the go to source for OAR theatrical Matsumoto.

I'll have to check out the circa 1984 Toei logo too (you are a serious LD otaku when you develop a connoisseurship for company logo intro variations! :) )

I'm always amused at how expensive these discs were back in the day: this movie was a cool 12,800 Yen in 1984!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 00:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well, in 1984 it was still like 170 yen to a dollar or something so...not so bad, at least not for Americans.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 00:37 
Hmm...Crunching the numbers, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_y ... hange_rate , in 84 the dollar was actually worth around ~230 Yen, which seems even better (at least initially)! So, 12,800/230 gives us about $57 in greenbacks - pretty reasonable. However, plugging the worth of $57 in 1984 into the inflation calculator (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/) spits out a cost in 2012 dollars of $124.02! (which is amazingly close to the value of 12,800 Yen today: $136.99)

Pretty weird...

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2013, 18:23 
The Adieu GE999 LD definitely does not disappoint after a quick viewing: the video quality is quite nice for an 84 release and this LD has: trailers for Adieu before the movie starts, trailer for the first 999 film at the end of the movie and Arcadia of My Youth plus, best of all, a trailer for Future War 198X at the very end! A real 1980's time capsule. Based on what is in the LDDB, this was one of only 14 anime titles released in 1984.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 17:50 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Guest wrote:

I was pretty amazed to find this one: Nayuta, a fairly obscure 80s Sci-Fi OVA which I watched on YouTube some time back. Complete with insert and obi, for just $12.84:

Damn, it is a bit late to be replying to this thread but if you ever want to sell Nayuta, let me know! I cannot even manage to find it listed on this site. Nayuta is one of my most wanted discs along with TWD Rolling Take-Off, Twinkle Heart, Dragon Fist and Download.

Also, it absolutely is original shrink wrap. Most Toshiba EMI, VAP, COLUMBIA and SONY, as well as some Bandai Visual/C.MOON discs prior to the 90's had shrink wrap rather than the plastic that was more common later on. I have many discs from these companies with the shrink intact. Always a sign of someone taking care of their discs fo me.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 02:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Guest wrote:
(cheap domestic shipping, for those in the USA, is paramount: the large boxes cost a fortune to ship from JP, aside from using sea mail).

Ebay prices are such a rip off on some of this stuff now.

I have no problem with waiting a couple more months for stuff I've wanted for decades.

I went over to Japan in 2013, raided every Hard Off on the Kanto plain and packed up 3 large shipping boxes with LD box sets got for next to nothing. To ship each box back to Australia was about Y10,000.

I think on that run I got every UC Gundam box, Dirty Pair, Zambot 3, the three Eva boxes, L-Gaim boxes, most under Y1500 a piece. Think the Eva boxes were Y300 each..

On my last trip to Japan this year I ran out of time and just got a Macross TV Memorial box to take back on the plane.

Another Japan trip isn't on the cards for me for at least another five years. I think before then I'll just proxy and seamail through y!jp and Rakuten fork some key discs I still want to keep me happy. Saving up for a buy at Christmas this year.

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]