It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:34

Page 5 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime on LD
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 21:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Yeah, I've had a feeling for a while the player is slightly out of alignment. I'll have to see if I have the problem still when I get a 2nd player with rs232 on it. I keep trying to find a LD-V8000 but haven't been able to yet. Maybe I'll just get a cheaper/easier to find one but i really wanted the LD-V8000. Most other discs play fine. A few of my Tenchi Muyo discs skip during the credits as does one of my Oh My Goddess discs, but I've watched through 20something episodes of Tenchi Universe (also CAV) in the last 2 weeks without any skipping or distortion issues.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 21:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Tenchi Muyo TV episodes are shorter than OVA episodes so...maybe the laser isn't moving as far.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 21:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

m45hu wrote:
Most other discs play fine. A few of my Tenchi Muyo discs skip during the credits as does one of my Oh My Goddess discs, but I've watched through 20something episodes of Tenchi Universe (also CAV) in the last 2 weeks without any skipping or distortion issues.

This being "picky" about discs is typical of a player slightly out of adjustment. Some discs are slightly harder to track than average, due to variations in manufacturing.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 04:30 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well I'll have to try those discs I have problems with once I get another LD player. This showed up today so the project to subtitle my YUA LDs as they play back and keep the subs synced to the LD player through the computer connection is one step farther along. http://imgur.com/hCLzU
It's a Deltascan GL external genlock overlay adapter I found on ebay for $40 shipped. Hooked to the laptop it seems to flicker a little every once in a while but but maybe it will like the output from another one of the computers around here more. It's a fun little piece of equipment in any case.

Also since this is the Anime on LD thread I have to share my excitement in finally getting this thanks to philburque46!
http://imgur.com/bSM2S

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 02:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

m45hu wrote:
Well I'll have to try those discs I have problems with once I get another LD player. This showed up today so the project to subtitle my YUA LDs as they play back and keep the subs synced to the LD player through the computer connection is one step farther along. http://imgur.com/hCLzU
It's a Deltascan GL external genlock overlay adapter I found on ebay for $40 shipped. Hooked to the laptop it seems to flicker a little every once in a while but but maybe it will like the output from another one of the computers around here more. It's a fun little piece of equipment in any case.

Also since this is the Anime on LD thread I have to share my excitement in finally getting this thanks to philburque46!
http://imgur.com/bSM2S

I have been thinking of buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PC-VGA-To-V ... 748wt_1139

do you guys think that would work to use as a genlock ? Feels a little better to buy something thats not 10 years old and well used =)

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 08:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

m45hu wrote:

My experience with these units is that they can be a bit cranky when it comes to the input signal. My Deltascan Pro GL wouldn't accept 800*600@60 (its supposedly preferred resolution) at all from one of my laptops, but took it just fine from the other.

johan184 wrote:
I have been thinking of buying this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PC-VGA-To-V ... 748wt_1139

do you guys think that would work to use as a genlock ? Feels a little better to buy something thats not 10 years old and well used =)

It appears to have all the right functions, & would probably be much less temperamental than the older equipment. On the other hand, $238 is pretty high, comparatively.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 04:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Stumbled across this on my lunch break at work today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kimagure-Orange ... 2ec106a539

Looks nice but wow that's a lot of money. I'll stick with my beat up outer box with discs that play fine. Just started ep 14. Man this show is as awesome as I remember it.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 05:05 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Wow. I had a hard time justifying the $200 I paid for my set. I suppose for the die-hard collector, getting a set with the pin may be worth $400, although I had no idea the original set came with a pin. Anyone have this pin? I'm curious what it looks like.

HOLY s**t! Just noticed it's an additional $100+ bucks to ship from AU.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 05:26 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Yeah I don't have the pin. I just looked to make sure. I do have this though http://imgur.com/Zzwrm

Man, I want a Minky Momo cell. Why was Animeigo giving away Minky Momo cells? I didn't think any of the Minky Momo stuff was ever released here. I should email them that picture and ask if they have any left. I'm sure they don't but maybe they'd get a kick out of it.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 06:10 
I got the Japanese Kimagure Orange Road Perfect Memorial box on ebay a while back for about $50. The packaging is much nicer than the Animeigo set, with Akemi Takada illustrated covers for each individual disc in an impressive box. Once more, the quality of Japanese LD packaging blows away the domestic effort. The Animeigo set up now is overpriced, compared with past instances. Animeigo probably did not want to incur the cost of licensing the art needed for individual jackets - after all, this KOR LDBOX put out by VAP was close to $1000...

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 06:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have both the US & Japanese sets, with the pin, as well as the two KOR CDVs. So, y'know, I win the internet.

AnimEigo never put out a box with discs in individual sleeves, so far as I have been able to ascertain. But, then, I've never seen that kind of packaging on any US release. I've also not seen "slipcover" boxes (generally premiums, for storing discs bought separately) on US LDs of any kind. AnimEigo packaging seems to be limited to standard single-disc sleeves, gatefolds, the two KOR boxes, & the disastrous UY binder.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 14:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Wow, Harlock. That was a steal.

The closest to individually sleeved discs in the US would probably be Green Legend Ran (PILA-1330A. The sleeves were nothing special, just the translated versions of the Japanese sleeves. Still one of my favorite US box sets.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 16:13 
The Japanese video companies really went the extra mile with their packaging: nice thick sleeves that don't punch through, and these amazing box sets with lavishly illustrated individual jackets for each disc. This really is a great time to collect these Japanese sets, and it's amazing to think about the prices otaku paid to import these back in the 90s. I was looking through the USENET archives for info on my KOR LDBOX, and it's amazing to see what it was going for after it went OOP: one message from 1998 is selling a copy for $1200! It would have been very easy to spend tens of thousands amassing a good anime LD collection, back in the day.

I have a pretty good story regarding the luck I had in obtaining the KOR box. My DSL modem actually died on the day the auction ended, and I'm in a rural area with few WiFi signals. The KOR box was about to slip from my fingers, I was freaking out! So, I went out on my porch with a Dell netbook and held it almost over my head to pickup a faint signal! With this sluggish connection poached from a neighbor, I successfully bid at the last moment and won the set for that great price!

I paid about the same price for the Maison Ikkoku tv box, which was also a pretty astounding score. The MI box was from the original owner who imported it from JP, no less! Talk about depreciation. My next mission is to obtain that crown jewel of anime ld boxes: the Urusei Yatsura LD50. With surface shipping, the UY LD50 should be pretty cheap and I'm just waiting for the right one to surface; perhaps from a place like Suruga-ya.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 17:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I got the Japanese Maison Ikkoku & Kimagure Orange Road boxes from the same guy, for $5 per disc (so, $60 for the KOR, $120 for the MI), & counted myself lucky. Of course, I dealt with him in person, so there was no shipping cost.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 20:39 
If I had the funds, I would go to Japan and buy a land-sea container load of anime LD box sets, and whatever other cool discs I could find, and thus save immensely on shipping costs :). There may even be enough of a razor thin margin to turn a profit, since LDs are really dirt cheap now over there. With some HLD-X0 players going for less than $2k there, the balance of the container could be filled with every X0 I could score cheap in Nihon, and I would keep the best X0 and flip the rest for $3500 or so a piece. Anyone who pulls off this scheme will be a legend here on the LDDb: a real Otaking and LaserKing all at once :lol:.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 20:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Oh man I'd love to have Maison Ikkoku on any format. I have a bunch of the Viz DVDs but volume 8 is stupidly expensive... Don't have any laserdiscs of it. Also today for the first time in a while I had something delivered that wasn't a laserdisc. My copy of the Macross Do You Remember Love collectors edition blu-ray finally showed up. Immediately opened it up and started watching it. After years of watching the horrible Kiseki Films VHS (only copy released in the US uncut and with subtitles officially) it's so nice to see all the detail in this movie. It's amazing looking. Plus a ton of extras and if you put the disc in a ps3 there's a game to play too.

http://imgur.com/a/6zGpg#0

Now I need to get my hands on a scanner and scan all those cards/mini posters that came with it and use them as wallpapers.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 21:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

stupid question, are there subtitles on macross?

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 23:46 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

No, unfortunately no subtitles on there. The only officially released version with english subtitles is the kiseki films vhs. I'm hoping I can find a subtitle file to go with it and rip a copy of the video from it when I eventually get a blu-ray drive for my computer, but in the mean time I'm just relying on having seen it many times before on vhs subtitled and the year of japanese I took in school. Luckily since I've seen it that's working out well enough.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 02:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

O.K. i totally love that film, but i don't have a bluray player.
but i have 2 versions on LD already so can i justify having another version?

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 02:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
O.K. i totally love that film, but i don't have a bluray player.
but i have 2 versions on LD already so can i justify having another version?

I don't think not having a BR player is a decent excuse for anything anymore, especially since you could buy 2 or 3 BR players for just the cost of the DYRL box set!

I already have the Perfect Edition DYRL LD and this BR just blows its a** right out of the water. Its as good as it can possible get, and its not overrestored at all. Also, the printed extras are *extremely* nice. The only downer is that Flashback was upconverted from tape because THEY LOST THE NEGATIVE which just breaks my heart. Flashback is so well done and...whatever, nothing I can do about it.

publius wrote:
But, then, I've never seen that kind of packaging on any US release.

Aside from the aforementioned Green Legend Ran box (which is basically the JP box) my Pioneer Special Edition of Amadeus has individual sleeves inside the box. They are still paper thin cheap stuff, so is Ran, as opposed to the 4x thick stuff that is the norm in Japan.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 5 of 7 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next