It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:52

Page 14 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 12:01 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lons_vex wrote:
The only (japanese pressed) rotter in my anime collection is Cream Lemon - and at that "only" the sets starting with DL-xxx.
I'd take a wild guess that they were pressed by Pony Canyon. The PCLS-xxx issued Cream Lemon discs are fine.

I have the full set of Cream Lemon discs with the only rotter being the Pop Chaser side of volume 4. Very annoying as I Pop Chaser was one of the episodes I realky liked once the sex rubbish was removed. It was made by the A-Ko team, which is probably why.

I also have 2 copies of the Ami movie that was shown along side A-Ko in cinemas and both are rotted. I am still amazed that only Pop Chaser was rotted. I don't remember if I watched the Shin Cream Lemon discs though to see if they had rot. The 4 part Ami Sore kara OVA was also rot free.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 13:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:
I just hope that when my X9 arrives, the rotters will look a little better.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't hide anything. It can, however, read discs (or parts of a disc) that most standard players can't if the rot is severe. It actually shows more junk on the screen in some cases. Discs that play perfectly fine on a mediocre player suddenly have unacceptable amounts of dropouts on the X9.

I have not tested out my X9 to a great extent as yet due to it needing some repairs (thank you UPS). BUT, I did test one of my rotted discs that has coloured speckles rather than the black drop out "lines", and the speckling was reduced by about 90%+ compared to my R7Gs and D99. I was rather happy about that because the particular disc in question is Cosmo Police Justy. It has proven rather difficult to buy a second copy in hopes of it being rot free.

Once I get the repair parts and a 100v stepdown convertor (I do not want to use my 110v convertor), I will test out some other discs that have coloured speckles such as Gaduleen (which I now have 3 copies of) and both copies I own of Penguin's Memory: Shiawassee Monogatari to see if they are any better on the X9. It was the coloured speckle discs I hoped might be improved on the X9 rather than full disc rot with the black drop out lines. I think that Future War 199x had a few speckles, so I may try that one as well. My original, heavily rotted copy of NORA was certainly not improved on the X9! The sound did seem less distorted, though.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 16:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just got Mad Bull 34 on DVD. Watch the first episode and holy crap. So shamefully hilarious.

Just really discovering 80s anime. Also picked up Dirty Pair and Riding Bean. Old hat for you guys I am sure. I love how rough the animation feels to stuff today which seems too polished. Plus the stories are so not PC as to be refreshing. Does that make me an awful person? ;)

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 20:08 
Recently I viewed Time of EVE: The Movie and Psychic School Wars. Both are very well dubbed by the folks at NYAV Post, although ToE is the better of the two, movie wise. PSW has beautiful animation, but the story is so messy and choppy, plagued with unlikable characters that it really drags it down.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 21:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Finished watching Dororo [SHLY-522]
An amazing series, really nice box with a phone card, cool that it has the original pilot episode in color :shock:

Then watched a really cool pugilist anime Heavy [PILA-1017]
Hard to find any info on this one, i was able to find out there were some mangas made, i believe 8 or 11.
Cool OVA.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 06:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Heavy looks extremely cool and extremely obscure. I'm aware of everything else in this thread, except this.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Heavy looks extremely cool and extremely obscure. I'm aware of everything else in this thread, except this.

Yeah it took me a while to pickup a copy.
I haven't done one in a while, i guess i'll have to do a review one day.
There are a few other anime discs i've picked up that are unknown to me that i'll have to do a review of soon.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

finally... -FINALLY- got around to getting myself MACROSS II and MACROSS PLUS on DVD for this last X-Mas,
MAC+ OVA and MOVIE versions of course, U.S. MANGA VIDEO DVD editions all.

also picked up another of my old favorites on DVD; Galaxy Fraulien Yuna, early-2000's ADV FILMS combo edition, both OVAs on one disc.

also grabbed this up for the nostalgia of it. wanted this particular model kit BADLY back during my mid/late-90's pre-internet early OTAKU days, never could find one back then.

working on it, a little here and there, as i feel inclined;

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 22:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I built SO MANY early Valk kits when I was a kid that I basically couldn't keep track of them. They were at all the drug stores in my area in the 80s as imports. Then when the Revell ones hit clearance I snagged tons of them in both scales. $1 for the small ones, $2 for the big ones. Maybe 1986 or 1987.

I have a VF-1S Strike Hikaru type that I got real cheap years ago, the excellent Hasegawa ones from the 90s/early 2000s. I plan to do an extremely good job of it and then possibly retire from Macross models completely.

I guess I still have a few tiny kits yet to build though, also the Yellow Sumarine Macross...

The stuff has a way of accumulating over the years...

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 04:36 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re-watching these 2 babies recently, in anticipation of the (great? disastrous?) Cameron-produced, Rodriguez-directed "Alita: Battle Angel":

Battle Angel (Gunnm): vol.1 Rusty Angel (1993) [JSLA-22201]

Battle Angel (Gunnm): vol.2 Tears Sign (1993) [JSLA-22202]

I guess "Ghost in the Shell" will somehow be a direct example on how good/bad Hollywood can turn popular Japanese series to mainstream Occidental audience.

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2017, 09:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

beautiful cover art on those. I read the comic in high school but never saw the anime

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 20:47 
True fan
True fan

Loved it.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 16:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I built SO MANY early Valk kits when I was a kid that I basically couldn't keep track of them. They were at all the drug stores in my area in the 80s as imports. Then when the Revell ones hit clearance I snagged tons of them in both scales. $1 for the small ones, $2 for the big ones. Maybe 1986 or 1987.

I have a VF-1S Strike Hikaru type that I got real cheap years ago, the excellent Hasegawa ones from the 90s/early 2000s. I plan to do an extremely good job of it and then possibly retire from Macross models completely.

I guess I still have a few tiny kits yet to build though, also the Yellow Sumarine Macross...

The stuff has a way of accumulating over the years...

Finished, for the most part;

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 07:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day guys,

Recently I upgraded to 4K Screen & Blu-Ray and so I thought I would play the Regular Blu-Ray of ''The Ghost In The Shell Innocence'' Just love viewing this movie.
The director: Masamune Shirow is a genius when it comes to fine detail in every way.

It's a shame this is of course not on Laserdisc as I would still be purchasing the format today.

Take care everyone and have a great weekend.

Sincere Regards :wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 16:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just came off of an evening of THE VENUS WARS and MADOX-01; METAL SKIN PANIC.

hadn't seen either in some years, VENUS WARS was the original U.S. MANGA CORPS VHS i found at a thrift long ago,
MADOX was part of an AnimEigo double feature LD with RIDING BEAN.

haven't seen BEAN yet, but MADOX was interesting in that it had footage of live action JSDF military exercises at the end,
something not present on the dubbed VHS edition i had bought new back in the late-90's.

speaking of Dubs, VENUS WARS had a rather goofy one, and the story was fairly wonky as well, everything besides was pretty much on point, though.

MADOX, pretty much the same, save for the singularly goofy character design (broad, BROAD shoulders, teeny-tiny heads, complete with weird, "square" cheeks)
NOT one of AIC/ARTMIC's shining moments, at least not so far as the character designs went, anyway...

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 20:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Nobody who bought MADOX cared about character designs. While not a great piece of art, it is apex mecha animation in some ways. If you don't like robots it's hard to appreciate. If you like VFs but not as much as Minmei then it's going to be hard to love.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 16:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yes, the Mecha design was indeed gorgeous, i've thought so since the first time i saw it 20 years ago on that original VHS of mine...
in fact, i always did dream of having a BANDAI MASTER GRADE-style model of the MADOX-01. around 1/8 scale or thereabouts would be just swell.
still wish BANDAI or someone would crank something like that out one of these odd days, though i'm quite certain no one ever will.

even so; i merely gripe that the characters weren't more of a match for the Mecha work... say, at least as much as Mikimoto's work for SDF MACROSS was.
i know; nothing's perfect; you seldom can expect to ever have it all... but one can still b**ch about that, just saying...

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 17:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just saw RIDING BEAN for the first time yesterday; visually striking, for the most part, but rather lacking in storyline, with some highly implausible over-the-top stunts being pulled
for a story otherwise presented so realistically.

anyhow, griping aside, it's still nice to have beside MADOX-01 as interesting, -though generally mediocre- classic Anime relics from the early days of the OVA.

while i was at it, i also saw my first volume of GALAXY ANGEL again after many years, liking it much better now than i did when i first picked it up new around 2004.
i think i might want to complete this series, providing it ain't too expensive to do so...

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 20:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos, Arcadia of my Youth: Endless Orbit SSX, Mazinger Z and Turn A Gundam.

You can probably tell what anime genres I'm into. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 20:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The good ones.

Page 14 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 64  Next