It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:54

Page 10 of 64 [ 1279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 10:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I see! Not my cup of tea with that sort of stuff. Good thing I can't read Japanese well enough to be able to play it, hehe. Noticed now that the game have a tiny, discreet triangle with the number "18". Guess the anime also containts ulterior motives since it is based on it, hehe.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 18:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lons_vex wrote:
It also wasn't the worst anime I have ever seen.

OK, now I have to know : what was?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 00:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

publius wrote:
lons_vex wrote:

Something called "MILPOM", it is from 2015 and I urge you to stay away from it.
If we consider anime I do not like from the LD area, the title I have to mention would be "Ginga no Uo Ursa Minor Blue", and it is annoying me massively that this is the only MUSE anime title.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 01:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Much worse because it's longer. :)

These are shows about 14 year olds. Not magic ones either, and the subjects never range beyond what is appropriate for 14 year olds.
What could possible happen that would entertain any adult that wasn't severely stunted developmentally? The answer is nothing.

i dunno, some people just happen to find girls doing girly things to be adorable to watch.

"Normal" people, especially "Normal" Westerners, tend to find that to be "Creepy" as can be, and i suppose that is indeed their perogative.

all the same, it seems most modern garden variety Japanese men have a rather rough row to hoe throughout their adult lives,
and are forced to subsist in a socially discriminating and financially taxing societal environment.

this environment seems to foster a sad syndrome in which a high percentage of the young/middle-age adult male populace
have a forbiddingly difficult time even considering how to find themselves a lifetime partner,
and form any degree of a nominal nuclear family unit.

this, in my observations, seems to have lead to a modern culture of young/older Japanese men
whom are seriously confused and frustrated, both in their natural Heterosexual and Fatherly instincts.

furthermore, most, if not all, are very probably quite lonely, living in a cold, rigid societal structure
in which a palpably insincere public Facade is the mean average norm in public relations.

if you consider all of this, it is not hard to see how this modern era of Underage Fetishism in Japan,
this fetishistic idolization of "Innocent, Sincere, Guileless Feminine Purity" that is "Moe" has been a very long time in coming...

It's funny that you consider the same things that I think about, but come to the opposite conclusion.

In Japan there are 30 year old professionals who have spend half a million bucks on RC cars but have never driven a real one. I see the whole moe/pedo thing as being pretty much the same thing. Would the guy eventually get a real car if Tamiya didn't make such wonderful miniature replicas? Am I the only one reminded up the guys in Otaku no Video who seem (and sometimes actually admit) that they prefer their GKs and galget games to the real thing?

Being able to interact with people of your age is a significant indicator of a healthy mental state. It's fine to be 60 in a rock band with guys in their 30s, but when you can only relate to virgins in Algerbra I, somethings screwed up.

Kirt Vonnegut famously said,

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured."

And, as with many things the guy said, I agree. People in general need to be more interested in bringing people together. However, not isolating yourself to begin with is part of that. Also, pedos need help.

Last edited by signofzeta on 31 Oct 2015, 01:35, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 01:23 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

publius wrote:
lons_vex wrote:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it got me thinking and...I don't know. I really hate nasty hentai, but that crap almost seems beneath criticism. It's weird, this is a really hard question to answer. I think it needs its own thread so we can talk about it...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 21:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just finished watching Record of Lodoss War OVA. Got all the LDs for like 5 USD each, which isn't bad. Rigged up the genlock setup to get subtitles as well. I really enjoyed this series. I'm very fond of epic fantasy stories like Lord of the Rings, and have played fantasy adventure RPGs since the 90s. This gave me some from both worlds, very enjoyable. Now what to watch next... Got the LDs for something called b*****d!! as well as DVDs for another called Berserk. Any of you veteran anime watchers that have suggestions for similar series or movies like Record of Lodoss War?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2015, 06:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

samaron wrote:
Any of you veteran anime watchers that have suggestions for similar series or movies like Record of Lodoss War?

There's the Record of Lodoss War TV Series which was a little more light-hearted than the OVA. You may also like The Hakkenden. It's sort of a hero's journey, but it follows multiple heroes who are linked by a curse that come together. It's sort of the Japanese version of Les Miserable (the book, not the musical.)

RG Veda and Heroic Legend of Arslan, maybe? I haven't seen either, but the genre is similar to Lodoss War.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 20:27 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

If you like fantasy then try b*****d! or Chivas 1-2-3 (U.S. title - Sorcerer on the Rocks).

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 23:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, watched my LDs with b*****d!! and loved it! I must say it falls under the category "it is so bad it is good". It was a really fun watch. Lot of cliché and heavy metal band names used. Depends on your sense of humor, of course, but I found this just fantastic! Guess they realized how bad it was and just went all out with it. Kind of like the person playing the main character in Deathstalker II. You can clearly see that he do realize he is in a turd of a B movie and just has fun while filming it. :lol:

I'll check out the other suggested titles. I've found that some of the more obscure titles can be hard to find. Hopefully they're not one of those unobtainable ones. :)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2015, 00:55 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I also like b*****d! quite a bit.

Lately I've been going though the fantasy/RPG/D&D series Violinist of Hameln.

The Violinist of Hameln: First Movement vol.1 [PCLG-00042]
The Violinist of Hameln: First Movement vol.2 [PCLG-00047]
The Violinist of Hameln: First Movement vol.3 [PCLG-00048]
The Violinist of Hameln: Second Movement vol.1 [PCLG-00049]
The Violinist of Hameln: Second Movement vol.2 [PCLG-00050]
The Violinist of Hameln: Second Movement vol.3 [PCLG-00052]

I watched this show when analog off-air fansubs were still a thing. I got into it because I'll give anything Yasuhiro Imagawa does a try. He's a great director but also polarizing since he really did a number on G Gundam (I love it, but I'm sure his turning hi sifi into a Street Fighter Parody got him a few death threats) and also this series. He also took 6 years to release all 7 episodes of Giant Robo. It was worth it, because that show is the absolute cool.

The show was criticized for using a lot of still shots. Its also rather darker than the manga it was based on. At the time I didn't mind all the still shots, it reminded me of 70s Tatsunoko, but now that I'm going through it again...yeah. Its uses a LOT of still shots. More than a PC Engine digital comic at times. Less like vintage Tatsunoko and more like an animatic that just never got completely finished into a show. The budget must have been a *really* low and in that regard...it actually looks OK. The music is all classical and extremely well recorded. That part wasn't cheap at all...other than for the fact that classical music doesn't usually require publisher's fees...

Anyway, its about elemental magic users that conjure stuff through playing musical instruments. Its pretty cool.

Now there is also a movie version:

The Violinist of Hameln: The Movie [PCLG-00040]

This one is much more popular. Its slapsticky and way more in line with something like Fortune Quest. A completely different production in every way. The series isn't for everyone, but most people would like the movie.

The first LD in both TV series comes with a box that will house the rest. The movie will also fit in there.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 13:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Lol, the forum has a censorship for that word? O.o

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 20:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

so i finally got around to getting together with my sister to screen the AnimEigo LDs of KIMAGURE ORANGE ROAD vol. 1 and UY;
that came in that Anime LD lot i picked up off of CL about five or six years ago now.

well, the animation was good, and we both liked Lum herself, but otherwise neither of us could even begin to follow LUM THE FOREVER,
nor could we even begin to develop even a faint clue as to what the hell was going on.

and while ORANGE ROAD was easy enough to understand, we found ourselves in mutual agreement
that for the most part, the storytelling was generally silly and often downright stupid.

i dunno, perhaps we're spoiled or overly serious or something. i mean, i appreciate, -REALLY APPRECIATE-
the 70's/80's character fashion and soundtracks of these entries, but those qualities aside,
i find myself at an acute loss as to understanding exactly what makes Anime such as these such well regarded Classics.

i suppose in the end it is probably little more than simple Sentimentality, and believe me i very much respect that.
apologies if i might come off ignorant and brusque about it all, but i personally see much wasted potential
in what i've seen so far of these Anime Classics, and it all kind of chafes in a rather frustrating way. Apologies...

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 21:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Unfortunately, what you started with was material intended for people already very familiar with the properties, & some of the worst choices out of that. If you had watched Volume 2 of the KOR OVAs, you would have wound up with a very different impression, more so if you had watched Volume 3 (the movie).

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 22:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

UY and Orange Road were on TV once a week for YEARS. You jumped, completely out of context, into a fanboy firestorm. I'm not surprised it doesn't make sense.

What do you think of anime that genuinely isn't made to be explainable, just experienced? Stuff like 999, Unico, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Angel's Egg, etc?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 23:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Lum the Forever is the 4th movie? Definitely the wrong end for sure. Wouldn't be surprised you found it hard to grasp what on earth is going on. Kind of like when my brother walked in while I put in the first Ranma 1/2 movie. The opening sequence probably involve every character from the show, which ended in a crazy situation. My brother just sat there and just said ".......what........?" It didn't make any sense to him since he had not seen anything else from the show. I'm sure you must've had the same experience, tasuke. :)

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 19:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

pretty much.

me and my sister were on a roll yesterday, a mini orgy of LD pulling
revolving around the two vols. of PHANTOM QUEST CORP. which we found pleasant enough,
the TENCHI MUYO PRETTY SAMMY OVA, which was petty silly, but generally OK,
Vol. 1 of the 1994 LD collection of the old 70's TATSUNOKO series "HURRICANE POLYMER"
which we both felt had kind of sucked. sure, it was a JPN market disc,
and since me and my sister are only familiar with basic, common use spoken Japanese phrase,
we largely had not a clue what anybody was saying, but honestly, the series,
at least so far as the first four eps. go, is so silly and simple that one hardly seems to need fluency in the native tongue
to follow it all.

anyhow, -with considerate apologies to any vintage TATSU fans hanging around-
while we unanimously agreed that POLYMER was something of a full on dud,
we pulled out the only RANMA 1/2 LD entry i have, OVA "Desperately Seeking Shampoo"
and found ourselves pleasantly surprised.

this was the first RANMA either of us have yet seen, and it seems quite good, an effective parody of the Harem genre even.
we both went in expecting to be underwhelmed, -since Rumiko Takahashi works generally do not seem to agree with either of us-
but on the strength of this OVA we were quite unexpectedly pleased. the characters seem endearing and the writing uncommonly deft.

is anyone around here familiar enough with the RANMA anime to be able to give me an accurate summary of this series' track record,
whether this OVA's qualities are at all representative of of the balance of the series at large,
or merely an unusually well put together exception?

i mean i'm seriously considering pursuing the recent VIZ DVD reissue of the T.V. series,
and i sure am hoping that someone can corroborate my suspicion that it just might prove
to be just the Anime me and my sister have been looking for for a few years now,
and the pleasant exception to the Rumi Taka = Bad Medicine rule of thumb
that tends to strongly pervade among this sibling pair of Anime fans...

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 09:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think Ranma 1/2 is amazing. The show is slow in the start, it did get cancelled after only 18 episodes or so before it continued. Once you're over that edge and have all the different characters introduced, that's when it start to get really fun. The OVA isn't an exception, you get all sorts of crazy situations in the regular TV show too. It is indeed a harem parody type. All girs are after Ranma, he isn't into all girs. All the boys hate him because he gets all the girls etc. A lot of interesting characters appear throughout the series and they get caught up in all sorts of situations.

This anime is what got me started in the first place. I'm really not good at making reviews and such, so can't put a good breakdown of the series into words. But I think it is a good reason that this anime (and manga) got a full release in the US, several times.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 17:39 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It is one of my favorites, even though I got bored with it after 2 seasons. However, the martial arts (insert benign sport) competitions were always fun! Definitely pick up the 1st season, at least. It'll hook ya.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 18:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

thanks, sounds like i got a winner, then. guess there was reason why VIZ' U.S. Anime magazine ANIMERICA
just wouldn't shut up about it back in the mid/late 90's. i paid little attention then
since Anime for me was all about Mecha pretty much exclusively.
i kind of liked how Shampoo looked though, and actually getting a taste of her personality
almost 20 years later, i'd say she shapes up to likely be my favorite character in the series.

i'll get on finding myself that recent 1st season set, or perhaps an earlier edition of same,
if i so happen to find one really cheap or something...

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2015, 19:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'd recommend the new Blu-Rays. They've restored the video, and it was done in Japan if I'm not mistaken. Actually done correctly, in other words... Superb picture quality, and includes the original japanese video. The earlier US DVDs have different episode title screens and some censoring applied. The show didn't really have seasons, so the new restored version have the episodes listed as they would've been in Japan. There are a couple of issues, however. The picture is 16:9, 4:3 with fixed black bars on the sides. If you have a 4:3 screen, it will look a bit weird until you stretch out the image. If you also select Japanese audio, you're forced to have English subtitles on. Minor things, really.

My favorite character from the show has to be Happosai. Just hilarious!

Page 10 of 64 [ 1279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 64  Next