It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:52

Page 13 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2016, 23:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It's true. Gunbuster is world class amazing. It has everything but it's the show's pure sci-fi elements that set it apart.

I miss the days when otaku polymaths with high IQs ran the show.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2016, 01:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It's true. Gunbuster is world class amazing. It has everything but it's the show's pure sci-fi elements that set it apart.

I miss the days when otaku polymaths with high IQs ran the show.

Yes, but those beautiful Mikimoto designs rendered so well also. The music, the retro yet cool looking mecha, the epic scale, fight against impossible odds, using Jupiter as a bomb, and of course the lack of bras..it's all so goddamn cool.. :cry:

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 18:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
Is Record of Lodoss War known rotters? Wow, guess I were really lucky with mine then. Can't recall any issues when I watched my laserdiscs of the OVA.

Didn't know it was on BD. Guess I'll have to get that one. I really liked Record of Lodoss War too.

They are rotters indeed. They were the first LDs officially released under the VICTOR name. The first 25-30 (maybe more) VICTOR titles are rotters in my experience. The "Majors" label, which was short lived before they went to with the VICTOR name are also rotters. My Megazone-23 Part III lds have terrible rot and both copies I own of Sparkling Phanton also have rot. Thankfully both NINETEEN-19 (one of my all time favourite OVAs!) and CIPHER LDs I own are rot free. I have the Loddoss box, it was a late release which escaped the rot problem the original releases had.

Mix-Jam, which released Victor's non-licensed VHD titles on LD, had perfect LDs. Not sure what happened with Mojors and VICTOR seeing as I suspect Mix-Jam was VICTOR in disguise. I have Outlanders, Lily C.A.T, BarBari Densetsu, Junk Boy, Space Phantasia and another I cannot remember the name of right now, and all are perfect. Not only are they perfect in a "rot free" sense, they are also perfect transfers with correct 3:2 pulldown and no blended frames. Same cannot be said for VICTOR and Majors!

VICTOR rotters I have are Video Girl Ai vol.2, Ningyo no Mori, Ningyo no Kizu, Licca-chan ova 1&2 and Hime-chan no Ribbon box 1. Could be some I am forgetting, too. I then have some other early releases such as Goddamn! which are fine. They must have been all over the place with their manufacturers. Maybe they used Pony friggin Canyon's pressing plant!

As for what I am watching at the moment, I've been watching the Patlabor TV and OVA BDs and enjoying the hell out of them! Also watched the rather awful Discotek release of Demon Lord Dante today along with finishing off the first BD disc of Shin Getter Robo. Man I hate all the grain scrubbing in BD releases! Also watched Ai City, Leda and Prefectural Earth Defence Force yesterday. So good! I am also about half way through the wonderful The Kabocha Wine, all on DVD.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 02:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
Maybe they used Pony friggin Canyon's pressing plant!

Are you implying Pony Canyon's plant put out rotters or good discs?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 17:20 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:

Oh rotters, DEFINITELY rotters! >_< I have more Pony Canyon rotters than anything else. Not just mid 80's titles like NORA and GREED, either. I have titles at late as 1993, Eiji for instance, that have medium level rot. I am always frightened of buying PC LDs because I never know what I will have until I hit play.

I have copies of COOL COOL BYE and X Densha de Ikkou on the way now, along with replacement copies of Salamander 2, Eiji and Pop Chaser/Roll among others. I just hope CCB has no rot, it cost a small fortune. Both GREED LDs I have are rotten, not to mention the 3 copies of NORA and 2 of Twinkle NORA Rock Me! I have with medium to near critical levels of rot. I hate Pony Canyon LDs.

The worst rotter I own though, is probably Amon Saga. I have 3 copies, 2 are near death with horrible distorted sound. I got lucky with the 3rd copy, only light rot! Still need a perfect copy of both NORAs and GREED.... I just hope that when my X9 arrives, the rotters will look a little better.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 23:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

segasonic91 wrote:
I just hope that when my X9 arrives, the rotters will look a little better.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't hide anything. It can, however, read discs (or parts of a disc) that most standard players can't if the rot is severe. It actually shows more junk on the screen in some cases. Discs that play perfectly fine on a mediocre player suddenly have unacceptable amounts of dropouts on the X9.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 02:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

samaron wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:
I just hope that when my X9 arrives, the rotters will look a little better.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't hide anything. It can, however, read discs (or parts of a disc) that most standard players can't if the rot is severe. It actually shows more junk on the screen in some cases. Discs that play perfectly fine on a mediocre player suddenly have unacceptable amounts of dropouts on the X9.

WOW its totally opposite from the LD-S1.
If your disc has some light rot or drop outs it will actually NOT show them
If your disc has mild rot it will show a little less, about 15% less.

A really great player for the price if you can find one working, top of the line at the time and is still a top contender.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 07:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
forper wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:

Oh rotters, DEFINITELY rotters! >_< I have more Pony Canyon rotters than anything else. Not just mid 80's titles like NORA and GREED, either. I have titles at late as 1993, Eiji for instance, that have medium level rot. I am always frightened of buying PC LDs because I never know what I will have until I hit play.

I have copies of COOL COOL BYE and X Densha de Ikkou on the way now, along with replacement copies of Salamander 2, Eiji and Pop Chaser/Roll among others. I just hope CCB has no rot, it cost a small fortune. Both GREED LDs I have are rotten, not to mention the 3 copies of NORA and 2 of Twinkle NORA Rock Me! I have with medium to near critical levels of rot. I hate Pony Canyon LDs.

The worst rotter I own though, is probably Amon Saga. I have 3 copies, 2 are near death with horrible distorted sound. I got lucky with the 3rd copy, only light rot! Still need a perfect copy of both NORAs and GREED.... I just hope that when my X9 arrives, the rotters will look a little better.

Oh that's really interesting. I have probably over 20 Pony Canyon music LDs and they all play back perfectly.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 10:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
WOW its totally opposite from the LD-S1.
If your disc has some light rot or drop outs it will actually NOT show them
If your disc has mild rot it will show a little less, about 15% less.

A really great player for the price if you can find one working, top of the line at the time and is still a top contender.

Been discussed before. The conclusion was that the compensation circuitry isn't adjusted for the different type of laser used in the X9. Thus, it can show more errors than other players with a standard laser.

The 3rd Urusei Yatsura movie (US release) have (at least my disc) a lot of dropouts when played on my X9, but completely clean when played on my CLD-2950. However, my 2950 isn't able to play side 1 at all of the first (US) release of WarGames, while my X9 manages to get it playing (video/audio is distorted).

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 12:25 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Heh, had no idea it made matters WORSE. Bugger. It woukd be interesting to watch my Animeigo LDs which were all bought new back in 1998-2000. With the exception of the UY movies which I bought as ex-rentals in 1999. They always had loads of drop outs on my old player, and those strange wiggly lines in the centre of the screen which was always noticible at the very beginning of a disc. I always wondered what that was. Non of my other US discs ever displayed such weird defects.

I can't say I thought that the X9 would make rot vanish, as that myth was quashed years ago. I was, however, hoping that titles I own with light speckles of rot would play withought the speckles. Especially for my Justy LD, it is just too hard to buy another cooy these days and hope it is perfect. I have seen an X9 capture of a rotted disc and I was surprised to see it had the same problem my R7G's have. It displays a sort of distorted line across the screen that looks like a worn VHS line. Usually towards the end of a side and beginning of the opposite side. Both R7G's I own display this defect with medium to heavy rotters yet the CLD-D99 does not.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2016, 15:41 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
!
Oh that's really interesting. I have probably over 20 Pony Canyon music LDs and they all play back perfectly.

You are lucky! But who knows? Maybe different divisions of PC had different plants. I know from bitter experience that the anime section used crapola plants. I have thought about this type of thing before. Apart from their very first 2 releases, DALLOS, I have only 1 or 2 Bandai Visual discs with light rot. Yet I have I have 9 or 10 C.MOON LDs with bad rot that I've had to replace. C.MOON was BV's "mature" label. They obviously did not give equal attention to quality between the EMOTION and C.MOON labels. It's a shame. There are not many C.MOON titles I can think of with DVD releases (Saber Marrionette R and....) and only Hikaruon, Call Me TONIGHT, A.D Police and Saber M R had second LD pressings.

For me, Toshiba EMI and Columbia are by far the highest quality and safest LD companies anime wise. Pioneer as well, but they do not go as far back as those two. As crap as their transfers and encoding were, SONY were also good. I only have Penguin's Memory: Shiawase Monogatari (wonderful movie) with light rot from sony and a couple of flecks here and there in Wanna Bee's. There may be the tiniest amount of speckles in my Bon Jovi Live in Tokyo '85 disc from ToEMI, but that is all I can think of.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 00:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
forper wrote:
!

You are lucky! But who knows? Maybe different divisions of PC had different plants. I know from bitter experience that the anime section used crapola plants. I have thought about this type of thing before. Apart from their very first 2 releases, DALLOS, I have only 1 or 2 Bandai Visual discs with light rot. Yet I have I have 9 or 10 C.MOON LDs with bad rot that I've had to replace. C.MOON was BV's "mature" label. They obviously did not give equal attention to quality between the EMOTION and C.MOON labels. It's a shame. There are not many C.MOON titles I can think of with DVD releases (Saber Marrionette R and....) and only Hikaruon, Call Me TONIGHT, A.D Police and Saber M R had second LD pressings.

For me, Toshiba EMI and Columbia are by far the highest quality and safest LD companies anime wise. Pioneer as well, but they do not go as far back as those two. As crap as their transfers and encoding were, SONY were also good. I only have Penguin's Memory: Shiawase Monogatari (wonderful movie) with light rot from sony and a couple of flecks here and there in Wanna Bee's. There may be the tiniest amount of speckles in my Bon Jovi Live in Tokyo '85 disc from ToEMI, but that is all I can think of.

Good thoughts. I like the look of my Sony music LDs the best, when it's a Sony, I know I'll have no worries.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 04:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

forper wrote:
Good thoughts. I like the look of my Sony music LDs the best, when it's a Sony, I know I'll have no worries.

And yet every disc I have of KO Beast (with "Sony Music Entertainment" proudly written on their edges) is massively rotted at the end, to the point where it's a fight with the players jog function just to see the end.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 22:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The only (japanese pressed) rotter in my anime collection is Cream Lemon - and at that "only" the sets starting with DL-xxx.
I'd take a wild guess that they were pressed by Pony Canyon. The PCLS-xxx issued Cream Lemon discs are fine.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016, 01:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Haha, Cream Lemon was legendary in my club days.

Yet I don't think anyone ever sourced a copy. Have to see it one day, pants optional?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016, 13:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I actually have a tape with Cream Lemon, or Pandora as the title is on that cassette. Dubbed to English with Swedish subtitles. Got it for free from someone. Put it in my player just to see what it was (I had no idea), saw a woman with a double p**is, hit stop and eject. Guess I'll watch it another day. :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016, 18:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i have a U.S. ADV FILMS copy of BLUE SEED Vol. 1 that's so badly rotted it is unplayable past about 5/10 mins. in or thereabouts.

luckily, it was the only rotter in the 50/75 disc Anime LD collection from CL i bolstered my library with about a half-dozen/eight years ago...

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016, 20:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

got around to watching my haul of Project A-ko. Still need to get 4: Final but I'm not in a hurry. the plots are cheese. I wonder who came up with with VS. that is almost completely different other than a few things here and there like A-ko and B-ko fighting.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 02:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

After the original A-Ko the sequels were really disappointing to me in the '90s. Won't bother to track them down again personally.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 03:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like 2-4. They aren't as good as the first one but they are fun. The animation stayed pretty good and I like the characters.

The Versus though...I have no explanation for that. I don't know why it got made or why the producers thought we'd want something like that. It's totally removed from the original show.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 13 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 64  Next