It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:00

Page 11 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 11:25 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Although not all OVA's were added in the remastered blu-ray box.
-Ranma 1/2: Nettou Uta Gassen (released only in Japan on VHS, LD and DVD)
-Ranma 1/2: Tendou-ke no Oyobidenai Yatsura! (released only in Japan on VHS, LD)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 17:43 
First Post*

Hi All,
I have just broken into the LD scene for some of the anime thats hard to find on DVD and decided to make my first post :D

My pickups so far have been Vampire Hunter D, Bubblegum Crash and Gall Force 3 - Stardust Wars. I just watched GF3 the and it was ehh. But thats kinda par for the course with the Gall Force series. I loved the original BCC so im hoping crash will be good too.

What have you been watching in this new year?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 18:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

welcome! my mind was blown as a teen back in the mid-90's when i rented all eight eps of BGC
at the massive video rental that was near my Grandma's place at the time.

i only first saw them that one time for years, until i came across someone's CRAIGSLIST
for fifty-odd Anime LDs and a CLD-S104 for $80.00. back around 2009.

in that set were all four volumes of AnimEigo's BGC LD release,
all eight eps plus the two HURRICANE music video compilations on four discs.

i didn't need the S104 to see them again with, -i had my trusty CLD-3030 for that-
but i found myself still enjoying them plenty over a decade after the first time.

the music was -and still is- sensational IMO, and, although i can now see flaws in the series storytelling
that i never could as a 14 year-old, it is still a fantastic series on the whole,
just about the overall best thing AIC ever produced.

even then, however, AIC's early-90's abortive OVA treatment of "Ah! My Goddess" could have been a serious contender
had AIC have given it opportunity to spread it's wings even half as much as their "Tenchi Muyo!" had...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 15:54 
tasuke wrote:
welcome! my mind was blown as a teen back in the mid-90's when i rented all eight eps of BGC
at the massive video rental that was near my Grandma's place at the time.

i only first saw them that one time for years, until i came across someone's CRAIGSLIST
for fifty-odd Anime LDs and a CLD-S104 for $80.00. back around 2009.

in that set were all four volumes of AnimEigo's BGC LD release,
all eight eps plus the two HURRICANE music video compilations on four discs.

i didn't need the S104 to see them again with, -i had my trusty CLD-3030 for that-
but i found myself still enjoying them plenty over a decade after the first time.

the music was -and still is- sensational IMO, and, although i can now see flaws in the series storytelling
that i never could as a 14 year-old, it is still a fantastic series on the whole,
just about the overall best thing AIC ever produced.

even then, however, AIC's early-90's abortive OVA treatment of "Ah! My Goddess" could have been a serious contender
had AIC have given it opportunity to spread it's wings even half as much as their "Tenchi Muyo!" had...

damn man, by todays prices thats a steal! haha very nice pickup.

And dude you couldn't be more right, BGC music is some of favorite. The whole space 80s vibe is one of my favorite themes in lots titles.

I never became a Tenchi fan but honestly my only exposure to it was on adult swim back in the day. Maybe since its one of the few titles with an LD release this is a perfect time to break in

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 00:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I assume you mean it's one of the few titles translated. Nearly all anime you've ever seen or heard of made before 2001 has been released on LD. LD will probably always remain the one physical format with more anime on it than any other.

Btw, I you like BGC, get the remastered box set. The upgrade is very very significant. It's one of best looking anime LDs there is, similar to the Ghibli box. If only other shows could have seen such a treatment.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 05:43 
signofzeta wrote:
I assume you mean it's one of the few titles translated. Nearly all anime you've ever seen or heard of made before 2001 has been released on LD. LD will probably always remain the one physical format with more anime on it than any other.

Btw, I you like BGC, get the remastered box set. The upgrade is very very significant. It's one of best looking anime LDs there is, similar to the Ghibli box. If only other shows could have seen such a treatment.

yea my bad ha. I never really thought about it until now but you're probably right about how much anime came out on LD. The entire japan-only LD market is a can of worms i have not yet opened (though knowing myself, it will at one point :crazy: ). Are you fluent or do you just own JP titles to collect? Which i may add, there is nothing wrong with haha. My first inclination to even buy any LD was because they had such great art, and often different/better art than say a dvd release. Not to mention that one has ever hung a dvd on wall to look cool ha

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 09:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There are a few threads with information on how to superimpose subtitles. The drawback is that a lot of subtitle files have disappeared over the years since it is obsolete now. The hardware/software needed is at least 15 years old too. I collect anime for the cover art and/or extras in boxes etc. I also try to buy anime on LD that I have subtitle files for. I like to tinker with old hardware and software, but wouldn't recommend this if you don't like to do so. Most of this stuff is made to run on the Amiga computers, but does exist Windows 98 software too. Take a look at the threads on the subject.

On another subject, more on-topic: Lately I've started to watch the Tenchi Muyo TV series. It is a bit different from the OVA series. Currently I'm at episode 10 or something, so still have a lot more to cover.

I also plowed through a series called Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai. Quite silly, but funny series.

When I've plowed though Tenchi Muyo I'm considering to take on Maison Ikkoku. Got the HUGE box set on LD earlier and see that I have most of the subtitle files for the LDs. Is this one worth giving a go? I really liked Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2, so I'm sure this one could be interesting too since it is based on stories from the same author.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2016, 23:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Maison Ikkoku is awesome (imho). I loved it.
"Having subtitles" is one thing, knowing that they are actually in usable quality for LD without editing them beforehand is another.
That's why I always work on them before I watch a disc, just so I wont be annoyed later.

Currently watching Maze on LD, am on the last disc (Vol. 9) editing subtitles for the last episode tonight.
Will probably continue with Rurouni Kenshin after that. More subtitle editing ahead.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 00:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, have worked on quite a few. Mostly just changed the start time so that the sync point is frame 1 or start of the disc. Have converted a couple of DVD subtitles, but that got really messy. It works, but not perfect. Still haven't quite mastered the editing... Hopefully I'll grow from a young padawan and become a subtitle editing master one day.

Regarding Maison Ikkoku: From what I can tell, it is more a serious series? Seems like it is targeted towards a more mature audience. Have read it isn't as crazy as Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2016, 10:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Maison Ikkoku is pretty crazy too.
Basically it is about a "good for nothing" type of guy who is a lazy student.
And he lives in a boarding house with a bunch of crazy folks.
Then the new manager moves in (an attractive woman, Rumiko style).
And from there the struggle begins.
Really enjoyable, lots of misunderstandings and funny moments.

About editing subtitles:
The easiest way to edit the timing is by recording the audio of the whole side from the LD.
In SSA go to "Timing -> Record WAV file"

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2016, 16:32 
let me just say, i salute all you guys messing with the genlock subs. I read about it more and just WOW. So your commitment to watch, bravo haha :clap:

Got snowed in on the east coast this weekend so i popped in another new pick-up, Wanna-bes

It drew my interest when i saw the Kenichi Sonoda was responsible for the character design. Turned out to be a pretty fun, easy watch. The wrestling sequences were pretty well animated too.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2016, 17:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

bizbeagle wrote:
let me just say, i salute all you guys messing with the genlock subs. I read about it more and just WOW. So your commitment to watch, bravo haha :clap:

I like to do it because I like to tinker with old, obsolete hardware. Genlocks is a walk in the park compared to old chinese piracy hardware for the 8-bit nintendo consoles that I also tinker with. :P Is this practical and useful in any way? No not really. Is it fun? Oh yes!

I watched Ghost in the Shell the other day. Finally a movie which makes the LD-G decoder useful! Really great movie, some of the background drawings were really stunning to watch. A lot of detail put into it!

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2016, 22:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Watched through an old betamax tape with Robotech. Turned out to be Macross, guess it has been edited to fit western audience. The hilarious part is that this one is dubbed in my own native language. Really horrible, but also gave me a good laugh!

The tape is labeled as number one, so guess it is part of a series (I don't have the other tapes). According to wikipedia, it is an 85-episode series. This tape went on straight for about an hour, so guess they removed the openings and endings and stitched it together to one continuous thing.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 18:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

saw GENOCYBER vols. 1 and 2 for the first time. in a sentence; Lavishly Animated Garbage. nothing more than a wooden excuse
for a talented team of designers and animators to get their collective perverted rocks off on pouring talent into finely crafted Fetish Gore.
doubtless one of the ill-concieved projects that ultimately killed studio ARTMIC. Two Thumbs Down.

finally got around to seeing most of MOLDIVER once again (still missing LD vol.2) after watching it the first time five/seven or so years ago.
it's pretty cute and fun, -better than i remembered- though it does kind of fall apart a little towards the end, probably the usual deadline crunch syndrome at work.

capped it all off with something Brainless, HYPERDOLL Mew&Mica the EASY FIGHTER vol.1,
just another one of those goofball 90's Anime projects PIONEER threw money into, but never really got off the ground even though.

again, very cute and silly, clearly a deliberate attempt at a lighthearted entry in the 90's Neo-Sentai/Tokusatsu revival era.
Very Cute Chara design, i personally kind of wish that Chara designer got around more.

Live-Action skit/music video on SIDE-2 is (intentionally?) Hilariously stupid, with ridiculous production values...

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Been trying to look up old OVAs lately. Always fun with some obscure stuff. A bit hard to look up, since a lot of stuff seems to be forgotten by time. Probably easiest to just buy LDs blindly and see what I get. Any of you more veteran anime viewers that have any suggestions for older obscure OVAs or series worth looking up? Would be even more fun if it is something that isn't available on DVD or BD.

Recently got Y's II on LD, but realized it kind of continues where the original Y's ended. Guess I gotta get the first part of the series and watch that first. I've never played the games, might be easier to follow the anime if I did?

Watched through something more modern as well, one called Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. I found it really fun at least.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 19:52 
samaron wrote:
Been trying to look up old OVAs lately. Always fun with some obscure stuff. A bit hard to look up, since a lot of stuff seems to be forgotten by time. Probably easiest to just buy LDs blindly and see what I get. Any of you more veteran anime viewers that have any suggestions for older obscure OVAs or series worth looking up? Would be even more fun if it is something that isn't available on DVD or BD.

Recently got Y's II on LD, but realized it kind of continues where the original Y's ended. Guess I gotta get the first part of the series and watch that first. I've never played the games, might be easier to follow the anime if I did?

Watched through something more modern as well, one called Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. I found it really fun at least.

A good oldie on LD would be battle royal high school. It got a small dvd release but i think goes for more than the LD. Plotline is too crazy to explain, but the title basically says it all. I just re-watched it last weekend and if you love how no-holds-barred the 80s were then you will like it. Nothing deep, just cool character designs and decent to good animation. I loved it for how it just kept it's foot on the gas the entire hour, regardless of how convoluted the story got by how much they tried to cram in haha.

I just picked up lensman which is also an only LD release I believe, so if that's good i will recommend it :)

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 21:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tasuke wrote:
saw GENOCYBER vols. 1 and 2 for the first time. in a sentence; Lavishly Animated Garbage. nothing more than a wooden excuse
for a talented team of designers and animators to get their collective perverted rocks off on pouring talent into finely crafted Fetish Gore.
doubtless one of the ill-concieved projects that ultimately killed studio ARTMIC. Two Thumbs Down.

finally got around to seeing most of MOLDIVER once again (still missing LD vol.2) after watching it the first time five/seven or so years ago.
it's pretty cute and fun, -better than i remembered- though it does kind of fall apart a little towards the end, probably the usual deadline crunch syndrome at work.

capped it all off with something Brainless, HYPERDOLL Mew&Mica the EASY FIGHTER vol.1,
just another one of those goofball 90's Anime projects PIONEER threw money into, but never really got off the ground even though.

again, very cute and silly, clearly a deliberate attempt at a lighthearted entry in the 90's Neo-Sentai/Tokusatsu revival era.
Very Cute Chara design, i personally kind of wish that Chara designer got around more.

Live-Action skit/music video on SIDE-2 is (intentionally?) Hilariously stupid, with ridiculous production values...

That is funny that you mention Moldiver as it is the only anime that I have on LD. I have only watched volume 1 (Metamorforce) to the end so far even though I do have all 6 volumes. It is just that I need to take the time and sit down and give the series a try. I tried to watch volume 2 (Overzone); but, I found it too silly and lost interest in it. Maybe, volume 2 is just a hiccup and the rest of the volumes are better (I hope).
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 23:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I'm still trying to find a copy of Bomber Bikers of Shonan, the one volume AnimEigo released.

CPM put out a variety of odd little OVAs, such as The Ultimate Teacher and Wanna-Be's (sic). I like them, mostly, although I guess I'm in the minority.

Moldiver is pretty silly — light-hearted, I'd say. You have to be in the mood for that kind of thing. But in one episode, they shoot an idol singer into space!

PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 01:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Favorite "obscure OVA"

Birth
Dragon's Heaven
Deluxe Ariel
Plastic Little
Twilight Q
Otaku no Video
MADOX 01

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 13:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Dragon's Heaven was probably my most cherished VHS bootleg, I ordered Otaku No Video (from Books Nippan?) at great expense back then too but it was so worth it...

Cheating with downloaded fansubs of SPT Layzner at the moment. Such a cool show..have wanted to see it since the early '90s and it being mentioned in fanzines/newsletters/protoculture addicts/animerica. Never got a Western release then though. Need the LDs with English synospses, my Japanese sucks so much..

Page 11 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 64  Next