It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:15

Page 7 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the worst anime you've ever seen?
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 02:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
I'm more stunned that Tonka sued them over it, claiming it was plagiarizing Gobots(!).

I didn’t know about that. That’s funny because Bandai could much more easily sue because of the overwhelming similarity to God Mars who was for sale as a Godaikin in the US in...I want to say 1984. That toy rules, btw.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2018, 14:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:

anyhow, me and my sister chose "Princess Tutu" next. Charmingly Quirky,
with some hilarious-sounding VA work for the main character in Japanese.

all in all, a pretty fine tonic so far, for washing the aggressively lackluster taste of TH2 out...

I picked this up as well, maybe because it was just $4 for 26 episodes. I wasn't planning to get to it for awhile, compared to some of the other stuff but I am interested to know what you think of it when you are finished.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 01:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I didn’t know about that. That’s funny because Bandai could much more easily sue because of the overwhelming similarity to God Mars who was for sale as a Godaikin in the US in...I want to say 1984. That toy rules, btw.

Not to mention Transformers had way more in common with GoBots than Mighty Orbots did.

I doubt Bandai ever had any intention of suing them because they were probably co-producing it. In fact, there was a prototype of Orbots that was a retool of Godmars, which went unproduced for obvious reasons. Also didn't Golion get released as a Godaikin toy first before it ever got adapted into Voltron?

Coincidentally, I unboxed my Soul of Chogokin Godmars the other day. I really like the individual robots, especially the head sculpts on Shin and Uranus. They have a wonderful 1980's aesthetic going on.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2018, 02:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yeah. There was a Godaikin Golion and it came with all the pieces too but my store never got it. I’m pretty sure there was a Dairugger. Those toys were pretty expensive even back then. I had the ABeGa combined jet thing and I think nothing else. Only one indie toy shop in my town carried them. When the Matchbox version Golion came out he was cheaper and way easier to get but still like $45-50 some places which when you think about it was a lot of money in 1984. You could buy a couple weeks groceries or fill your gas tank up five times for that money.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018, 03:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

markwood007788 wrote:
I just saw "Overlord Anime." I really enjoyed seeing this anime.

Well why'd you mention it here, the WORST anime you've ever seen? :P

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2019, 17:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
tasuke wrote:

anyhow, me and my sister chose "Princess Tutu" next. Charmingly Quirky,
with some hilarious-sounding VA work for the main character in Japanese.

all in all, a pretty fine tonic so far, for washing the aggressively lackluster taste of TH2 out...

I picked this up as well, maybe because it was just $4 for 26 episodes. I wasn't planning to get to it for awhile,
compared to some of the other stuff but I am interested to know what you think of it when you are finished.

it was quite good, actually. surprisingly, just about the best thing among that entire SENTAI stack i picked up, even.

if you are fine with an anime all about fanciful, Ballet-centric drama, then this one is highly recommended...

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 18:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Worst LD I own has to be Kukyuaku no Chef wa Oshimbo Papa. Talk about trash! Horrible animation and really really ugly drawing in some scenes. It may have more frames than Twinkle NORA Rock Me!, but at least NORA RM had somewhat consistent character designs. Even if it was only 4 frames per second!

Columbia released some trash OVAs, but this one tops it for me. Only others I could list would be LA BLUE GIRL and Adventure Kid 1 and 3. Complete and utter trash in my mind. I actually liked Adventure Kid 2, it had a good story and not too much sex rubbish. UROTSUKIDOJI 3 OVA was rubbish too. I really like the the first 2 OVA series/movies, but it just went to crap after that. Mind you, I have only seen 3 1-4 with a godawful dub and tremendous amount of censorship. But if I saw it with subtitles and uncut, the "uncut" part would just make the rape and crap I hated in it even worse.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 21:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I liked La Blue Girl and Urotsukidoji.
Both these shows also got good LD treatment.
Box sets and whatnot.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 23:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

People being raped in half isn’t really something that you can apply normal criticism to, or defense of. That ish is absolutely horrendous and I don’t know what’s wrong with someone that they’d even be able to stomach it let alone enjoy it.

If you’re a fan of shows like that and they happen to be legal where you live then...well, lucky you I guess. Your mother must be very proud of you.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 07:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Considering it's ultimately a horror title, I seriously don't think Urotsukidoji was ever intended to be "sexy". It just gets bundled with all the other hentai titles because of what I consider to be a very American mentality that all nudity is sexual.

I mean, I guess it's technically sexual, but if you get a hardon from watching it, you should see a shrink.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 09:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
It just gets bundled with all the other hentai titles because of what I consider to be a very American mentality that all nudity is sexual.

ahh except it's not just nudity, it's penetration and a lot of it.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 12:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
It just gets bundled with all the other hentai titles because of what I consider to be a very American mentality that all nudity is sexual.

ahh except it's not just nudity, it's penetration and a lot of it.

That wasn't my point.

The point was that if you think all nudity is sexual, ie. for the purpose of arousal, then the full-on penetration in Urotsukidoji is just going to confuse the sh!t out of you and make you draw the wrong conclusions about it. There was a similar use of sex to horrify rather than arouse in the original cut of Thriller: A Cruel Picture.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 14:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
People being raped in half isn’t really something that you can apply normal criticism to, or defense of. That ish is absolutely horrendous and I don’t know what’s wrong with someone that they’d even be able to stomach it let alone enjoy it.

If you’re a fan of shows like that and they happen to be legal where you live then...well, lucky you I guess. Your mother must be very proud of you.

Well if that was aimed at me, no, I am not a fan of shows like that. The original 2 OVA series and movies that came of them; Overfiend/Demon Womb to me had a great story and characters and it did not have a great deal of the tenticle s**t it is known for apart from the infamous scene with Akemi and the teacher near the beginning of the movie/1st OVA. It was a horror title. Hence why when I bought the 3rd series, I thought it was garbage that I hated because of all the rape s**t but ALSO because the story was s**t compared to the originals and was nothing of a follow up storywise. As for "not being able to stomach it", I bought the VHS tapes released in AUSTRALIA which were HEAVILY CENSORED. You didn't SEE any of it. It was obvious what was cut though! Unlike the original Manga UK videos I had of Overfiend/Demon Womb. The UK Overfiend was cut by 4 minutes, it was flat out banned in this country and then released with almost 30 minutes cut from what I read. I never saw it. But good for you up on your pretentious high horse.

Because I liked the story elements of Overfiend, I stupidly went and bought more of his titles when I was able to buy US VHS tapes. I hated it. It was just gross and trash to me. I am not a fan of "hentai" and I assure you I am not part of the intended audience.

The only "hentai" I own on LD is the Cream Lemmon series and I made myself edited versions so I could enjoy watching them without the sex rubbish. I also have some of the OVAs based on Elf games; Doukyusei, Doukyusei 2, Kakyusei, YU-NO (was one of my favourite Saturn games), BE-YOND, Dragon Knight, Words Worth etc. They are light on the "h" s**t. Much like Pia Carrot and Dousokai (renamed Friends on the Saturn). I owned all of the Saturn and PCE/PC-FX versions of Elfs games and the Pia Carrot games etc, so I bought the OVAs for them. Pink Pineapple stuff is OK for the most part because it is very light.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 15:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
Well if that was aimed at me, no, I am not a fan of shows like that. The original 2 OVA series and movies that came of them; Overfiend/Demon Womb to me had a great story and characters and it did not have a great deal of the tenticle s**t it is known for apart from the infamous scene with Akemi and the teacher near the beginning of the movie/1st OVA. It was a horror title. Hence why when I bought the 3rd series, I thought it was garbage that I hated because of all the rape s**t but ALSO because the story was s**t compared to the originals and was nothing of a follow up storywise.

Oh yeah, I've seen them all. I forget what the subtitle for that one was, Return of the Overfiend I think?

What I hated the most about that one was that that's the part where the sex scenes really were added just to titillate; apart from maybe two of them (and that's a very strong maybe), they served absolutely no purpose in the story. Worse yet, it makes some of the characters too much of an irredeemable b*****ds when they're then given some sort of a tragic angle which makes it kind of difficult to actually root for them when they do. The UK version is probably better off for removing them for that reason, but I'm pretty sure at least a couple of the edits just end up creating plotholes because of the important stuff that happens during them.

It's kind of a shame because I liked the post-apocalyptic stuff, and apparently so did Toshiro Maeda, despite he also didn't like the sequel OVAs otherwise, probably for the same reasons.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 20:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I can only assume Maeda had nothing to do with it after the original 5 part series? It was obvious that it was a completely different team that made Return/Miraihen. Characters looked nothing like the original and the story had almost no connection to the original. Really horrible cheap animation too. Not that the original 5 were masterpieces, but they were far better than the 3rd OVA. I never bought the DVD box so I have never seen the 4th series or "part 5". I had desire to after how rubbish 3 was. I also never touched that godawful cg ladden "remake", yuck. No wonder it was cancelled.

I imagine our release was even more cut than the UK version so it made even less sense! Ugh, and that Kiseki dub..... so horrid. I will admit to buying US Adventure Kid VHS because I was so damned curious about what had been cut. Another horrendous Kiseki release, I think that 30 minute OVA barely went for 13 minutes when the censors were finished with it. I really do not know why they bothered releasing it. They apparently tried to release LA BLUE GIRL here....bwahaha! No amount of cuts made that acceptible.

I think I also bought Demon Beast Invasion and didn't mind what I saw of it. Of course having everything subbed from the US was a big help. It had the post apocalyptic world setting, decent characters, horror and yet still somehow comedy and from what I remember, not too much of the tenticle crap.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 06:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
I can only assume Maeda had nothing to do with it after the original 5 part series? It was obvious that it was a completely different team that made Return/Miraihen. Characters looked nothing like the original and the story had almost no connection to the original. Really horrible cheap animation too. Not that the original 5 were masterpieces, but they were far better than the 3rd OVA. I never bought the DVD box so I have never seen the 4th series or "part 5". I had desire to after how rubbish 3 was. I also never touched that godawful cg ladden "remake", yuck. No wonder it was cancelled.

There's an even better reason to not buy 3 and 4 on DVD, and that's the absence of English subtitles. Apparently CPM thought nobody would watch them for the plot anyway so you get English and Japanese audio but no subtitles - which kind of goes back to my earlier comment on how this sort of content is viewed in the west, or at least in Americas. You're literally better off downloading the fansubs. I think they're uncut too, but apart from the first two episodes of part 4, all that means is the ridicilously long recaps are included.

Interestingly, the third episode of part 4 was given a limited theatrical release around the world on some film festivals. The DVD presents it in letterboxed 1.66:1 ratio.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 18:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Right, I forgot about the no subs. Although I don't need subs anymore, I did at the time and I think that put me off as well. I refuse to watch dubbed.

That series 4 "part 4" was actually the start of a cancelled 5th series, wasn't it? I seem to recall reading that.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019, 00:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
Although I don't need subs anymore,

Real envious of you. Despite university classes, a year studying in Japan and 5 years working there I still can only understand 20% of what's being said. Anyway last year I resolved to relearn it. After 6 months of restudying JLPT N4 daily I think some of it is sinking in, but it's so slow. I was never good at language and now I'm older it's even harder but I'll never give up.

What JLPT level do you think you have in vocab? Any study tips? Thanks.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019, 05:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

segasonic91 wrote:
Right, I forgot about the no subs. Although I don't need subs anymore, I did at the time and I think that put me off as well. I refuse to watch dubbed.

That series 4 "part 4" was actually the start of a cancelled 5th series, wasn't it? I seem to recall reading that.

I think it's not even "part 4", if memory serves me right the title card calls it "UROTSUKIDOJI V".

It's also completely redundant because it basically retcons the end of Inferno, which is clearly intended to be the real ending.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 17:38 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
segasonic91 wrote:
Although I don't need subs anymore,

Real envious of you. Despite university classes, a year studying in Japan and 5 years working there I still can only understand 20% of what's being said. Anyway last year I resolved to relearn it. After 6 months of restudying JLPT N4 daily I think some of it is sinking in, but it's so slow. I was never good at language and now I'm older it's even harder but I'll never give up.

What JLPT level do you think you have in vocab? Any study tips? Thanks.

Well, I think I have lost a lof in the past 5 years. I remember watching Maison Ikkoku on DVD from start to finish back then and understanding 99% of it. I think I would lose a bit now. Also, I am terrible with technical stuff. Something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes is reaaally difficult. I felt really overwhelmed watching it until an episode a few eps in where there was a return visit to a family home. THAT was the first episode I fully understood! War and political stuff is so over my head. Yakuza stuff is hard too, or "manly men speak". I have played the entire Ryu ga Gotoku series from PS2 through to the PS4 but always struggled at times.

I remember I bought the first game when I was at uni there in 2006 and one of my best friends was watching me play and even SHE had trouble understanding some stuff. She is Japanese so that says it all. She was the typical type of Japanese person that thinks anyone who likes anime and games is "weird otaku". I ended taking her to Akihabara and she loved it, lol. I was happy to educate her that "anime lover" does not mean weird and creepy as they are always potrayed in Japan. It is no different to her watching American crap. Densha Otoko had aired around that time and she said it changed a lot of people's attitude over there.

As for study tips, for "tangou", I always found that making up a way to remember words worked really well. Same with kanji. I also spoke keigou which is just like another damn language. Repetition is only good to a point, but if you have a way to remember words, I guarantee you will never forget them. Practise is really the only other way.

When I started, I already knew katakana as I had taught myself with my Saturn Fan books and also use to watch a kids school programme on SBS. Hiragana I also knew, but not as well as katakana. To get it into me head, instead of just writing things over and over, I used to use romanji lyrics of Hamasaki Ayumi songs and also some Utada Hikaru. That worked really well. They are also the songs to this day that I still remember off by heart as well! I know ALL Ayu's songs off by heart, but those songs I used to write out, I remember every word by heart to this day. She was my absolute favourite singer ever. Seeing her live in 2006 was amazing. Also got to see Hikki as well and was 10 rows from the stage. Wish I had seats like that for Ayu :(

Page 7 of 10 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next