It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wheres a good place to start
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 16:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My sister is into Anime in a big way and I've decided to at least give it a go on laserdisc. She watches the newer ghibli anime mostly and recommended that I find some of that as a starting point. Most of the discs I've look at however are all Japanese with very little if any listing english subtitles and/or english dubbed tracks. I've been using the database as a source to try and determine if there is any english on the discs but I understand its not complete so there will be missing information. I suspect I need to look at more the american releases to get the english subs or audio I'm after.

Where would you advise I start looking? The only anime I've heard of is Ghost in the shell and akira. Being honest I've never seen either so perhaps that should be the starting point. Just wanting your opinion.

Post subject: Re: Wheres a good place to start
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 16:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Very very few Japanese releases have any English. The well known ones are, as you said, Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I know the Ghibli collection box also have some movies that have English dub on a seperate track. You will have to dig out US releases if you want any with English. I think most of them have CC encoding, so you can switch over to Japanese audio and have English subtitles if you have the decoder. Or watch the dub, if you prefer that. I've heard that the releases done by ADV are prone to rot, so be sure to ask the seller if the disc is tested.

I my self mostly have Japanese discs, but I use a device called a "genlock" to superimpose subtitles. Not much have subtitles available for this system, as most of it have been lost over the years. It became obsolete when DVD hit the market and PCs started to handle video, around the year 2000.

I'm sure some of the more veteran viewers here can pitch in with some more information and suggestions.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 16:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Regarding Studio Ghibli, for vieweing I'd say skip the Laserdiscs and get the Blu-Rays. They are terrific in every sense of the word (with possible exception for original release of Nausicaä). The Ghibli LD box set however is very nice as a collector's item and rather easy to find on Yahoo Auctions so that may be of interest if you become a fan of theirs.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 16:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The Blu-Ray discs are cheap too. Cost like 10 quid for each when I bought them.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 20:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The only LD anime that I have is the 6 Moldiver LD's. The rest of my anime is DVD with one exception: HAL the movie is a DVD/BR combo.

In the DVD realm, I have the following:

Air TV
Ai Yori Aoshi
Azumanda Daioh
Castle in the Sky (aka Laputa)
Cowboy Bebop, the movie
Haibane Renmei
Hal, the movie
Kamichu
Kiki's Delivery Service
Nausicaa
Spirited Away

I could go on; but, you get the idea. I do know that Kiki's Delivery Service is available on LD.
Hope this helps.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]