It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Most smoothly drawn 4:3 anime on LD?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 08:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just curious what everyone thinks is the most smoothly drawn 4:3 anime on LD.

I haven't watched much on LD, but Ninja Scroll CAV had the best animated video quality I've seen on LD so far when the action scenes were drawn on every frame.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Most smoothly drawn 4:3 anime on LD?
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 11:08 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ruinatokyo wrote:
Just curious what everyone thinks is the most smoothly drawn 4:3 anime on LD.

I haven't watched much on LD, but Ninja Scroll CAV had the best animated video quality I've seen on LD so far when the action scenes were drawn on every frame.

Any thoughts?

For high quality animation, a few come to mind (usually short and CAV):

Everything else I could think of was either 1.66:1 or 1.85:1

Julien

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 14:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Variable Geo is pretty smooth and well-drawn, especially in the fight sequences. Just that most people are uncomfortable watching it because of all the fan service :lol: :oops:

Then there's Giant Robo. This is one of my favorite anime of all time. Very nicely animated, great story and engaging characters.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 19:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

For a real trip, you could try "Gestalt". It was computer-animated (in a manner which imitates cel work) at 30 fps. Not quite what you're looking for, I'm sure!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016, 20:12 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Given that anime is usually based on economy of frames, "smooth" is as hard to define as it is to find. Most anime is shot on 3s, meaning 8fps, not exactly An American Tail. Even when the budget is high, "smoothness" is used sparingly. They might spend %50 on 3 minutes of awesome and starve the rest of the film. This unevenness is one of my favorite things about anime.

However, I can say we'd be looking at either a theatrical release or a late 80s money pit OVA. As much as I like Ghibli I don't think they're nerdy enough to achieve maximum smoothness. Even Porco Rosso, which is pretty smooth, is shot on 2s much of the time.

Here are a few things I can think of, you'll have to figure out if there is a 4:3 LD of it.

Royal Space Force (there is a "TV size" LD I have, 4:3, that shows much more detail than the LBX issues)

Crusher Joe (the movie, not the OVAs)

Daicon Opening Film (still nearly $100, very scratchy, but probably the absolute highest quality anime ever that was done completely in the hand drawn and optical sense)

I'm not an expert on Cobra, but there is something Cobra that is extremely HQ.

Robot Carnval (an anthology, some shorts are cheap, some amazing, more variety in style than any anime anthology I can think of).

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 11:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks guys.

I knew most of the suggestions but tried Gestalt as that was new. It's actually half CGI half cel animation. The animation is mostly on 2s and 3s, but they used digital scrolling and effects at 60fps. But it certainly is gorgeous, beautiful colors, drawing and effects, and a funny two-parter.

(in the 90s digital panning became really popular after it found a use in pan-and-scan movies for broadcast. a number of anime from the era (Gestalt, Sol Bianca, Bubblegum Crisis 2040) used it as well. the effect runs at 60 fields per second: unlike normal computer rendering where each image is a full frame that is then divided into fields for broadcast, this technique makes scrolling movements per each field so it looks smoother. lots of people think it looks out of place.)

signofzeta, do you know offhand the aspect ratio of Crusher Joe the movie? Thanks.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 15:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Variable Geo is pretty smooth and well-drawn, especially in the fight sequences. Just that most people are uncomfortable watching it because of all the fan service :lol: :oops:

heaven knows, enjoying one's fanservice in peace has got to be one of the very few outstanding reasons to be an Antisocial Nerd...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]