It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:31

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Subtitle help!
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 08:48 
Hello everyone! First time post, I read the last solution to adding subtitles to laserdisc & ive also read up on genlocks.. Beside using subtitle viewer on my phone does anyone have another way of getting subs on your tv? Genlock looks good but is also way out of my price range. Any good way to get picture in picture cheaper than that? Really want to watch my Nadia box subbed! Thanks in advance everyone!

Post subject: Re: Subtitle help!
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 12:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

capndrake wrote:
Any good way to get picture in picture cheaper than that?

Take a look here I think:

Viewing subtitles without a genlock

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 19:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

capndrake wrote:
Genlock looks good but is also way out of my price range.

What units have you been looking at? I paid like 20 USD for my unit, a Coriogen Eclipse. If you have a Commodore Amiga, you could most likely get a genlock for that computer for free. In my experience, people throw Amiga genlocks after you. You are, however, limited to a very small selection of subtitles since you will need ancient software and compatible files, if you go full vintage with Amiga. Some internal PC cards for the PCI/AGP slots have video input and output as well, which could be used to superimpose subtitles.

Using Penguin Subtitle Player with Windows 7 and a editing tool works far better in my opinion since you can use SRT files instead of a format that has been obsolete for 15 years. Trying to convert modern files to work with SubStation Alpha or JacoSub doesn't work very well, at least in my experience.

Without a genlock, the only way to add subtitles is to do what is described in the link Julien provided. You could also rip the LD and add subtitle files to the encoded video file.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 19:48 
samaron wrote:
capndrake wrote:
Genlock looks good but is also way out of my price range.

What units have you been looking at? I paid like 20 USD for my unit, a Coriogen Eclipse. If you have a Commodore Amiga, you could most likely get a genlock for that computer for free. In my experience, people throw Amiga genlocks after you. You are, however, limited to a very small selection of subtitles since you will need ancient software and compatible files, if you go full vintage with Amiga. Some internal PC cards for the PCI/AGP slots have video input and output as well, which could be used to superimpose subtitles.

Using Penguin Subtitle Player with Windows 7 and a editing tool works far better in my opinion since you can use SRT files instead of a format that has been obsolete for 15 years. Trying to convert modern files to work with SubStation Alpha or JacoSub doesn't work very well, at least in my experience.

Without a genlock, the only way to add subtitles is to do what is described in the link Julien provided. You could also rip the LD and add subtitle files to the encoded video file.

Thanks for the help! I looked up the genlock you recommend but can't seem to find one for sale. Any others you'd recommend? Also I don't want to rip them, takes the fun out of watching the disc

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 20:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What is your price range exactly? It seems like you could get a TeleVeys Pro for $50 easy. I'd be surprised if they were worth any more than that. Then all you need is a 15 year old PC, which is worth even less. That's pretty much my setup and the setup of many many 90s fansubbers.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2016, 08:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Is something like a Sony DSC-1024G Digital Scan Converter capable of being a genlock and achieving something like the OP wants to do?

I would love to do that, and prefer to keep my whole ecosystem Sony only.

It would be like having a better than 1st gen SVHS master from a fansubber back in the '90s was!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 00:10 
Serious fan
Serious fan

This is a creative solution to this very question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9_yJYNos4

Pretty good. I've been meaning to mention this video I stumbled across, with it's separate monitor teleprompter they rigged up for this very purpose.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 13:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Wow that is a very clever but inelegant solution.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 02:17 
Hey everyone i was trying to think of a way to do this with stuff I already had because I couldn't find a genlock cheap

anyway here is my solution.. pretty easy and cost $20 in supplies (if you have a computer already)

(also i posted this on the laserdisc forever! forum on facebook, might add a video there later)

:angel: SUPPLIES :angel:

01.) Laserdisc Player & movie you want subbed (obviously)
02.) A Computer
03.) VLC Player
04.) Cable from Computer to TV (Mac uses mini dp to HDMI)
05.) Video capture Device for computer (I Used a $10 one form amazon, can post a link if anyone wants it)
06.) The Subs for the movie you're trying to watch (open subtitle has tons)

:!: STEPS :!:

01.) hook the laserdisc player into the video capture adaptor
02.) hook your computer up to your tv
03.) Open VLC Player
04.) Click File & open capture device
05.) Choose the Capture Device you are using
06.) Start movie
07.) Click Subtitles on Vlc player and add the subs
ENJOY!!!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 01:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Pretty smart! I have everything I need to try that too. Got 4 weeks off from today. Might try it. Thanks

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 06:36 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Oh wow, a friend of mine recorded that video ages ago and I didn't think much of it. I'm still using largely the same set up now aside from the plexiglass being moved up to be in front of the lower third-ish of the screen, with a piece of gray translucent shopping bag folded over a few times placed behind the plexiglass on the TV, kept in place by the static attraction between the shopping bag & TV. At some point I'm most likely going to replace the necessity to use a PC, plexiglass, Lego based rig/armature & computer monitor with a raspberry pi, actual teleprompter glass, a custom made wood "frame" and a projector. (Primarily to try and remove the need to darken/slightly block the screen.)

In relation to capndrake's solution, running the Laserdisc player signal through a PC & putting subs on that way is a much more physically elegant solution to what I do, by that point you might as well download the content in question, making the physical disc redundant. Running it through a PC requires the signal to be run through a ADC, for what I feel removes a large point of using LD over DVD or the like. (This is considering A, I prefer to run a LD player straight analog to a CRT anyway to try and keep as much of the original signal as possible if possible, and B, ~90% of the titles I have (and ~70% of all of the titles I plan on obtaining) are anime, which were produced with 4:3 CRT's in mind, so playing them on anything else feels off.)

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 06:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

capndrake wrote:
05.) Video capture Device for computer (I Used a $10 one form amazon, can post a link if anyone wants it)

Any recommendation for a S-Video/Composite => USB 2.0 device?

I used to run my LD-S9 through a genlock-capable video card back in the early 2000's for subtitling Japanese anime LDs but this PC died and no other desktop/laptop I had later could do that again.

Now if I could take the S-Video from my HLD-X9, run it through a USB capture device, play it in VLC and apply the subtitles on the fly, I can output it HDMI 720p to my projector and enjoy (re)watching Lodoss, Macross, Escaflowne, etc. again!

The weakest link would be the quality of the conversion to USB capture... hence looking for hints :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2016, 02:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You know what a lot of anime fans back in the '90s used to do with import anime laserdiscs? They'd get synopses out of fanzines to get the plot and then just watch them raw over and over again, sometimes guessing at the nuances of things. I kind of like that approach. My Japanese is serviceable but I need more sci fi vocab. Time to get watching/studying/looking for synopses..

I even know some geniuses who actually learned Japanese just from anime.!

Anyone got a good link to a single place for episode by episode series synopses? I have a few issues of Protoculture Addicts with some for Ranma 1/2 and I think Xabungle from memory but need more!!! Maybe I'll just start buying old anime zines..?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 22:11 
admin wrote:
capndrake wrote:

Any recommendation for a S-Video/Composite => USB 2.0 device?

I used to run my LD-S9 through a genlock-capable video card back in the early 2000's for subtitling Japanese anime LDs but this PC died and no other desktop/laptop I had later could do that again.

Now if I could take the S-Video from my HLD-X9, run it through a USB capture device, play it in VLC and apply the subtitles on the fly, I can output it HDMI 720p to my projector and enjoy (re)watching Lodoss, Macross, Escaflowne, etc. again!

The weakest link would be the quality of the conversion to USB capture... hence looking for hints :-)

Julien

hi i've only used the s-video on this one
https://www.amazon.com/ION-Analog-Digit ... apture+mac

quality looks like how it does plugged into my tv
the player i use is a Pioneer CLD-R7G
and i'm running it into my macbook pro

hope that helps :)

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 17:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK I want to try my hand at subs.
Would prefer to try this without a genlock, I do have a second computer and could have a monitor below the TV to watch said movie etc.

My question is what should I be downloading, my extra computer has XP running, I haven't had it up and running in a while so I will need to update some stuff.
Unless it would be better to use a tablet or newer device.

Did some searching yesterday and have an idea but any hints would be great.

Mainly for anime and Japanese monster films.

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]