It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best online stores to find less common/popular titles?
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016, 15:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

So I've managed to do pretty well with Yahoo Japan Auctions, but some of the rarer releases (or just not exactly popular in Japan, like "The Big O") are very hard to find. What are some good alternatives (beyond eBay, which is hit or miss...or just overpriced), if there are any? Is there a Craigslist equivalent for Japan, or is YJA the best bet?

Post subject: Re: Best online stores to find less common/popular titles?
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 19:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Get in touch with Kevin Kobos (aka goodsquid)?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 20:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Kevin for sure and some of the other long time sellers here. I had good luck with da don and duffs for the American releases but it was a while ago. I don't buy as hardcore anymore.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 16:47 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you for the suggestions! I will message goodsquid and others. Ironically I was just outbid by $1 on the 1st volume of "The Big O", but given it went to $42 and a complete 7 disc set went for $20 in September, it wouldn't have been a great deal.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 02:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

glitchbob452 wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions! I will message goodsquid and others. Ironically I was just outbid by $1 on the 1st volume of "The Big O", but given it went to $42 and a complete 7 disc set went for $20 in September, it wouldn't have been a great deal.

So you were the one bumping it up. I was willing to go up to $50, just cause I'm a huge Big O fan and collector, and wanted a sealed copy for my collection.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 09:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I use YAJ now, the other stores having quit or dried up. The Good Squid guy is pretty popular. He's not the greatest to "shop" from since, last I checked, he just drops mediocre lot photos of hundreds of LDs on Facebook with no prices and you have to tell him what you want assuming you can even ID it. I guess that's part of the fun or maybe he doesn't do it that way anymore.

Almost everything turns up on YAJ sooner or later.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 12:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

He still does it like that, but his sales are usually of the $10 kind. If he does sales that have titles beyond that price, then he will state that. Anime can get even cheaper since it is so abundant, and not as popular because of the lack of English options. Sometimes it can be hard to identify some titles, yes. However, all you need to do is ask and he will tell you what it is. The quality of what he sells is in general great. If something is damaged, he will clarify that and reduce the price accordingly.

I also use YAJ a lot as well. Even with fees and shipping through a middleman service, it can still be way cheaper than buying on eBay. For some reason, even dirt common anime can suddenly cost houndreds of dollars on eBay...

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 14:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I never had luck with squid, whenever he had his 10.00 photos i would ask is this title still available and he would say YES its 40 bucks.......

Ebay and YAJ are your best bets.
I just made an order on YAJ and we'll see what i ended up paying per disc.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 15:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

rein-o wrote:
I never had luck with squid, whenever he had his 10.00 photos i would ask is this title still available and he would say YES its 40 bucks.......

He has $10 sales and not $10 sales. He has such a loyal customer base, it is hard to come first buy first at the moment. Most discs are sold within minutes. He is a very thrust worthy and good friend.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2016, 22:26 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

takuguy wrote:
glitchbob452 wrote:

So you were the one bumping it up. I was willing to go up to $50, just cause I'm a huge Big O fan and collector, and wanted a sealed copy for my collection.

Ah-ha, my nemesis! *shakes fist* Huge fan here as well, was a long-time member of Paradigm-City.com's forums. Only bumped it as I kept getting the message that there was a minimum amount set and I had to re-bid (perhaps that was a misworded message on Buyee's part). Well congrats on the sealed copy.

As for GoodSquid, I messaged him yesterday and he replied saying that he didn't have any, but would let me know when he gets some.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 01:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

substance wrote:
rein-o wrote:

He has $10 sales and not $10 sales. He has such a loyal customer base, it is hard to come first buy first at the moment. Most discs are sold within minutes. He is a very thrust worthy and good friend.

I've never bought from him but have heard all good things, just that when i tried to get something or request its too rare and or too
expensive :evil:

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2016, 14:26 
Third post and above
Third post and above

glitchbob452 wrote:
takuguy wrote:
glitchbob452 wrote:

Ah-ha, my nemesis! *shakes fist* Huge fan here as well, was a long-time member of Paradigm-City.com's forums. Only bumped it as I kept getting the message that there was a minimum amount set and I had to re-bid (perhaps that was a misworded message on Buyee's part). Well congrats on the sealed copy.

As for GoodSquid, I messaged him yesterday and he replied saying that he didn't have any, but would let me know when he gets some.

My man, I miss those days on Paradigm-City.com's forum.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 03:15 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

takuguy wrote:
My man, I miss those days on Paradigm-City.com's forum.

Oh you were a user there? :o My SN was "R.Smith", one of the moderators actually.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 03:46 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

So I was in yet another bidding war this morning (takuguy, was it you?). Big O vol. 1-4, used. Kept being outbid less than a minute later by 100yen. Waited until 4 seconds left, and was going to throw in 4,600 (up from the last 4,100 the other person countered me with), but thanks to being on my phone and the keyboard being just a nanosecond too slow along with the time it took to process the confirmation on the bid.... I lost.

The hunt continues. I'm honestly surprised to get into bidding wars with this title. Given someone managed to get a complete set with only 1 bid back in September....

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 02:28 
Third post and above
Third post and above

That is weird, I wonder what's triggering this collective resurgence in Big O popularity?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 18:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

90's Nostalgia, i'd wager? it had to come eventually, i suppose...

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 08:30 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well....here we go again.

I check multiple times per day to see if the Big O LaserDiscs maybe are back on Yahoo Japan Auctions... this one was a full set of 7.... auction only was up for 1hr 6min... Must have had a "buy now" option. I don't know why I didn't get an alert from the YJA app... I made sure to set it as soon as I understood the app settings (it's in Japanese after all).

I was even awake in the latter half of 8am... but this set was nabbed at 8:15am EST.

On the one hand, I'm glad to see at least more are out there being sold.... on the other, it has taken a great deal of willpower to not throw the laptop across the room when I saw the listing under the various closed auctions (I even did a double-take because I never even saw it listed originally).

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2017, 11:24 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Yeah, starting bid was around $15, with a $60 buy it now option. Considering how much I ended up paying for volume 1, the buy it now option was a no brainer. At least you don't have to deal with me anymore. ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]