It is currently 21 Jun 2018, 17:25

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: WTB: Max Headroom Movie
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 18:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Looks like it was released in Japan and the US. Don't really care which version if the content is the same, and it appears to be.

Wasn't sure what section to post this in so please just move it to the correct section if I messed up.

Post subject: Re: WTB: Max Headroom Movie
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 21:46 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

I’ve never seen a copy of this. It doesn’t have a lot of selling history here either.

Easily one of my favorite sci-fi things. I still only have the copy I made from a rental tape in 1987. :( I was so glad when the series hit DVD. There was an episode on there I had never seen before, the Baby Grobags one.

If the contest promo is on the US one then that would be the one to get. It wouldn’t be on the JP one.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 21:52 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You've got good taste Zeta. And yeah the series is available for a reasonable price, for w/e reason this movie is practically impossible to find. Actually if I can't find a download, would it be too much for you to copy your current tape? I'd give you something for your trouble.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 22:50 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

I’m sure you can find a better copy than what I have. I watched the *crap* out of that thing.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 23:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Odds are I'll be able to find a download. Going to ask a couple people I know that hoard files first lol.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 23:33 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

It’s on the ol Youtub, with the contest intro. I just checked. Video quality is about as good as it will likely get too.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 15:17 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey everyone,

I suppose you are discussing this particular release? Max Headroom: The Original Story (1985) [LV367]

I do own the US version that I found on eBay a couple of years ago while searching for the japanese TV series LDs. Transfer is pretty good if you ask me but still haven't compared it to the DVD versions I own (some odd japanese pressing from the early 2000s, a weird looking bootleg box and the official DVD box set) to find out which seems to be the best transfer. However this title shows up every now and then, saw it being listed about two or three times on both Ebay and Yahoo Japan...

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 03:42 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

With the TV series the whole thing was shot on tape, AFAIK, to make it look totally “video”. Therefore I don’t think it will ever look good. The original movie may have used some film for the outdoor scenes Doctor Who style but I can’t remember. I don’t think it’s ever going to look good. It’s supposed to be lousy with analog artifacting, like CNN was back then.

I would like better audio though. The OST of both are great and they sound terrible on my old VHS copies. The DVD of the series didn’t sound much better.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 03:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

knatterbuechse wrote:
Hey everyone,

I suppose you are discussing this particular release? Max Headroom: The Original Story (1985) [LV367]

I do own the US version that I found on eBay a couple of years ago while searching for the japanese TV series LDs. Transfer is pretty good if you ask me but still haven't compared it to the DVD versions I own (some odd japanese pressing from the early 2000s, a weird looking bootleg box and the official DVD box set) to find out which seems to be the best transfer. However this title shows up every now and then, saw it being listed about two or three times on both Ebay and Yahoo Japan...

I didn't even know there were official dvds of it. Thanks.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018, 14:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The japanese DVD looks like this: https://picclick.co.uk/Max-Headroom-20-Minutes-Into-The-Future-RARE-302758177061.html
I found mine on Yahoo auctions but from what I know this release was something like a rental version for japanese video stores only!? However it includes the whole uncut pilot with original sound and japanese subtitles.
The bootleg box was made by someone from the UK some time before the official box was released, including plenty of rare extra material like the music video intros being aired on british Channel 4 (The Max Headroom Show), even several TV spots or promo clips plus the original british pilot of course. Quality is rather poor so I suppose the material was taken from old VHS tapes. Found it on eBay while searching for old Max Headroom video material.
The official (US) box includes the episodes from the TV series plus extras like interviews and a round-table discussion with most of the cast members. Can't remember if the original british pilot was on it as well, guess I need to take it from the shelf and watch it again.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 01:35 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The US release of the series from Shout does not include the movie. Good to know on that official JP dvd.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 02:24 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

To be clear, the movie is not a pilot. It was a complete story done by the same creators and many of the same actors and even FX footage but the series came from a different project completely.

The bonus stuff on the series DVD is pretty good. I like how they mentioned that they were going to get a different Blank Reg for the US because they didn’t want to relocate Sheppard. I’m *so* glad they changed their mind on that because Bigtime is easily one of the coolest aspects of the show and there is no way it would be the same with anyone else.

Another thing about the interviews on the DVD...I’ve always wondered why Headroom went away and has almost totally stayed gone. And also why Frewer didn’t seem to champion it much at all. Now that I’m a lot older though I think about him working this show...if you look at the timelines pretty much all of Headroom comes out in like three years, 84-87 or so. In that time they made the movie, the thing with Art of Noise, the Coke campaign, some of the worst merch ever, and at least two seasons of two different TV series! Then consider that Max isn’t like...lines read into the camera, exactly. There is a lot of improv and stuff coming from the actor who, remind you, has to get all that makeup on and play another main character on the show in front of the green screen and then do the stuff as Edison with the rest of the cast, which many times involved actions scene where he’s getting beat up and crashing bikes in the rain and running towards helicopters. He must have just been beat down to hell and back! Seriously! :)

And I guess after something like that winds down (ahead of its time or not) it probably gets really hard to wind it all back up again, even in your own mind.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 05:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The TV series was shot with film in a then-unique 3-perf 30hz format (other series later on used 3-perf as well) - the problem is the original film is probably lost and there probably isn't anything better than a D2 master in existance, and there were probably enough effects cuts that nobody really wants to remaster the series.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]