It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:19

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer Elite DV-45A SACD/DVD-Audio player
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 18:49 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

So picked a used one of these up for next to nothing off of Craigslist. Is it a quality SACD player? I never owned one before, so I hope I can get some good quality sounds off of this:

Product Brochure

Owner's Manual

Post subject: Re: Pioneer Elite DV-45A SACD/DVD-Audio player
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 19:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

should be decent enough. my own 2001 ELITE DV-37A is an excellent performer that just keeps chugging along...

one of these days, i wouldn't mind replacing it with the 2001 TOTL (and mostly identical) DV-38A;

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 23:10 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

got the DV-58AV one and finally took a risk and made it region free. I enjoy it at first it was used solely for music but I don't have many SACDs or DVD-As so I use for all my discs of course not BD since it won't play it.

Bought it new from Pioneer. if you found any Pio DVD player cheap get it.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2014, 23:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

How did you make 58 region free?

I have a dv-79avi as far as I know it needs hw mod for region free. Jvdigital is asking $150 for the mod.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 02:37 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

firmware from http://www.pioneerfaq.info/ though I really hate the change background and screensaver. I wished the guy kept it red like the official one.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2014, 09:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Guys,

The Pioneer ELITE DV 38A is a lovely player that was the last of the single Elite player to have the Wooden side panels.
I am glad to say that I have this player of which was purchased brand new.

The UK dealer checked the exchange rate straight away whilst I was there $2000 into Pound Sterling, of which was around £1,350 and I was very grateful to this gentleman, as he placed this order without taking a deposit from myself.

I shall be using this player for music playback on a stereo system, it has only had around 100 hrs or less use.

I would never part with this player.

Thank you for sharing the photo's of your players, as they are a pleasure to view gents.

Kind Regards to you

:thumbup: :D

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 02:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Finally got this thing hooked up to my receiver--WOW.

Hooked it up via RCA to the 5.1 inputs on my Elite VSX-27TX so that the DAC in the player will do all the decoding.

Wasn't expecting to hear this jump in quality from just regular CDs on this thing. Listened to "Kiseki no Umi" by Yoko Kanno and "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin on regular CD and the detail was definitely evident when I put those same CDs in my Runco LJR-I and listened through the TOSlink with the receiver doing the decoding for that one.

Then I tried some DVD-Audio discs. I only have 2: Metallica's "Black Album" and "Brain Salad Surgery" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Metallica sounded good, but definitely better on the 2-channel mix than the surround mix. Surrounds were barely engaged on that.

ELP was an ear-opener. "Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression Part 2" sounded amazing. I heard certain synth sounds I haven't heard before even though I heard that song a billion times. Though I will say that on "Still...You Turn Me On" Greg Lake's vocals had a lot less reverb than what I remember. Not sure if this was how it was supposed to sound or if the remixers when they got ahold of the original recordings decided to do away with the reverb that's on the original album release.

Also "BSS" is mislabeled as having a 2-channel option. There was only a surround option on the disc.

Now I can't wait to find some SACDs to test on this!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]