Post subject: SONY HAP-S1
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 09:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.sony.com/electronics/audio-components/hap-s1

Hello!

I stumbled upon this video out of total randomness:

Using A Hi-Res Audio player to resurrect my ripped CDs (Part 2) - Sony HAP S1

Turns out I have similar requirements to that of the author of this video.

So, although if you know me I'm not a SONY fan, I've been looking for more information on this device and similar gears.

I like the idea of quickly playing in high-res format my CD/SACD collection while retaining the original discs.
No remote/network storage, just all the collection on the device with quick controls.

I'd have to re-rip all my CDs to FLAC, but that's OK (500G can hold 1450 CDs at 350MB/CD after FLAC encoding).

More interestingly the device plays DSD/DSF files that can either be purchased online or ripped through a 1st-gen PS3 with hacked firmware/OS. Sadly I don't have a PS3 able to do that.

Does anyone here toyed with such devices before?

Julien

Post subject: Re: SONY HAP-S1
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2015, 17:25 
Serious fan
Serious fan

If it can do 'true' dac of dsd, (so not converting to pcm first) and can do dsd over usb then it would be cool.
It is too expensive for me. I am somehow a bit done with dsd and like analog more, records tapes etc.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 07:37 
Site Admin
Site Admin

svwees wrote:
If it can do 'true' dac of dsd, (so not converting to pcm first) and can do dsd over usb then it would be cool.
It is too expensive for me. I am somehow a bit done with dsd and like analog more, records tapes etc.

USB is for external storage, not data streaming.

Oh yes, there is a problem here. Either you get amplified analog stereo, non-amplified analog stereo or digital output but ... in that case you can't listen to multi-channel SACDs at all. Bit pointless for me in that case. Also no support for DTS.

http://download.sony-europe.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4472849212_GHCSR.pdf

OK, back to playing from my laptop over SPDIF to my AMP (dts/ac3/stereo) + CD/SACD/DVD Audio on my player.

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2015, 07:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I am considering mirage media server autonomic mms-2 and mms-5. These are much more expensive but much more complete solutions. You can rip your CDs in various different formats including apple lossless and flac. It supports DSD rips and downloads as well. Best part is they are preloaded with pandora, spotify, tidal, internet radio, itunes and few more streaming services. Furthermore they are apple airplay compliant. Mms-2 can play music to 2 zones and mms-5 can do 5. Each zone can be controlled via smartphone apps with full two way metadata, file/folder view, full streaming services control. These have cirrus logic dacs which are above average. There is also a mcintosh mb100 clone for way more money which has upgraded audio section with ess sabre 9016 dac in quad differential form.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]