It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 11:41

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pioneer LD-V200 Karaoke player
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 10:15 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The player is a karaoke player but since I don't have any Karaoke discs I can't tell how well it plays those. However I can tell how it plays movies. The player was made in 1989 or 1991 I can't really find when it was made but I have found images of instruction manuals of the player and amp that I don't have and those are the two years I have found.

The player is probably one of the earliest PAL and NTSC players. The player can only play 12 inch and 8 inch Laserdiscs. It doesn't have anything fancy like s video or scart it just has AV cables so don't expect image quality to be good.

Now I'll talk about how I got this player. I bought it broken (the tray wouldn't open) for 80€ plus shipping which made the price to somewhere around 95€. It came with 5 discs 4 of them PAL and 1 NTSC. All I really needed to do was glue one cogs and it worked. I haven't found this player sold much elsewhere though I did see a working one on ebay once for something like 150€. That should give the pricing.

Anyway how well it plays movies. It has two settings movie and karaoke. In movie mode you can rewind the movie. The movie mode as far as I can tell only works on PAL discs though. When I want to play an NTSC disc I have to use the Karaoke mode. The first side of the disc 1 you can select a scene using the Karaoke controls also if the first side has more than 15 scenes you can skip to you probably can't watch all of the disc. (I'm not sure since I don't own a disc that has more than 15 scenes you can skip to.)

In the later sides and disc it just plays all of the side meaning you cannot skip anything. (This could bad if you own a TV series disc and want to see a specific episode.)

Also I'm not sure is this because of the condition of the disc or something like that but it doesn't play my copies of Star Wars Empire strikes back and Star Wars Return of the jedi. It does play my copy of new hope but my copy of new hope is newer than my copy of empire strikes back and return of the jedi.

Anyway unless you find this specific player for cheap or use it only on Karaoke I wouldn't recomend it.

(Update)

I forgot to mention this but it has a voltage selector which is very useful because you don't have to get a power adapter to use it.

Last edited by retrolaservision on 15 Jul 2018, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pioneer LD-V200 Karaoke player
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 16:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I hope someone else can help you out with this.
Sounds like something to do with PAL NTSC switching either with the player or your TV or combination of both.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 20:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I have sometimes unpluged the player from my TV it won't play those two movies. It also has 3 settings in the back. Pal, 4.43 NTSC and 3.58 NTSC. As far as I can tell nothing changes if you use these settings other than when you are playing something and change a setting it ruins the color scheme.

I have a theory and it is that my player might not be able to play analogue sound (at least on NTSC) and that is why it doesn't work with those two movies. My copy of new hope is a 1991 release while the Empire Strikes back is a 1981 copy and the Return of the Jedi is a 1984 copy.

Though it would be stupid to make it only play digital sound at the time because the player was either released on 1989 or 1991 when I think most Laserdisc releases still had analogue sound.

But if someone somehow find a way for me to play those two movies I don't mind.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 20:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So these discs are playing but not the audio??
LD doesn't work that way, only a PAL NTSC thing will make it not play, or a really bad damaged disc.
Enjoy the hobby.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2018, 23:53 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

No. The disc spins for sometimes and then spits it out. I said that could possibly be a reason that it does not recognize the analogue audio. There are some PAL/NTSC players that cannot play discs that do not have digital sound.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 02:05 
True fan
True fan

Yeah, but you said Return of the Jedi does not play either. The one in your collection has digital sound so it should play.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 02:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
So these discs are playing but not the audio??
LD doesn't work that way, only a PAL NTSC thing will make it not play, or a really bad damaged disc.
Enjoy the hobby.

LD doesn't work that way.

If you have an analog audio disc it will play in any player.
If you have a digital audio disc it will play in any player.

Your player not playing a disc has nothing to do with the analog or digital audio.
LD players are not really computer operated like DVD with encoding.

If you put a disc in it will either play or it won't.

Putting a PAL disc into an NTSC only player will prevent the disc from playing.
But your situation is something different.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]