It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:08

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Value of the Columbo LD sets?
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 04:34 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Btw, when did you buy these?

A week or so ago.

...I don't know what to say. Why did you buy these in the first place? Did you not know what Columbo was? What Bluray is? What made you want them so bad a week ago so bad you had to drop $200 per box on the things and now not want them at all? Make up your mind! :)

I thought you got them back in the 90s or something. Have you even had time to watch them yet? Next time wait ten seconds before you hit the BIN button. All this LD s**t is *old*. If something 20 years old is on eBay today, then %95 of the time it's been there before and it'll be there again. Shop around. Be patient. Control yourself.

I paid £40 each for them not hundreds. And yes, I have watched them. And the first set is only listed here.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 12:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
Btw, when did you buy these?

A week or so ago.

...I don't know what to say. Why did you buy these in the first place? Did you not know what Columbo was? What Bluray is? What made you want them so bad a week ago so bad you had to drop $200 per box on the things and now not want them at all? Make up your mind! :)

I'm not in agreement with signofzeta very often, however on this occasion I have to agree with him. It makes no sense buying something like this on a whim and then selling it a week later. These are huge bulky overpriced box sets that make no sense in today's world unless you just have to own Columbo on laserdisc and even then I'd expect you'd be missing some episodes. It's not a very compelling series to collect on LD.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 12:57 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If £40 includes shipping, it's not too bad for keepers. TV shows look better on LD. Almost as good as on Bluray. If you wanted to keep them, I don't think you are at a loss.

Laserdisc facebook page is also full of people who buys lots from local adds and the same day they post them on fb for sale! They are like oh I scored these today they are for sale if anyone wants them. This is really lame. Don't buy anything you don't need or want.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 14:29 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
They must be worth more than that surely? I paid way more than that for them. Maybes I over paid?

Were they bought (two of the sets at least?) about a week to ten days ago from the same UK ebay seller - listed a few days apart & sold for around £90 for both of the sets?

If so they had the obi(s) & were in very good/near mint condition, nice sets.

You were not the only bidder as you said but on ebay, or any auction, it only takes two to tango & the end prices can go a bit silly. Also can you be sure you are bidding against another genuine buyer or is it the sellers friend/relative or the like, sadly that can happen.

If you are happy with what you paid & are pleased with the goods then surely that is all that matters. Yes, perhaps you may have paid a bit more than the "average" selling price but if you wanted them to hold onto/watch/enjoy then do just that & don't worry about the so called values. If you have "bought to sell for profit" (perhaps at a future date) then you may struggle to achieve what you have paid & any kind of "profit" after fees etcetera is highly unlikely - in the UK perhaps 50% of what you have paid if reselling but ebay prices can go a bit crazy sometimes, you may be lucky.

It really amazes me how high some LDs end up selling for on ebay when they are often readily available from sellers with shops on the LDDB site for less money, are often in better condition & the chances are it will be sent out well packed by an LDDB shop seller to protect while in transit - packing standards can be a bit of a lottery on ebay, many sellers do pack well but quite a few others can be truly dreadful on the packing front.

I am pretty sure I have paid "over the average" for a couple of my discs/sets but they were all titles that I wanted & I may have spent some time (often years!!!) looking for them. Quite often though, after much searching, you find that "rare" disc or the one that perhaps completes a set & you pop it happily into your collection to then see that same "rare" or elusive disc turning up on ebay or elsewhere & it sells for a fraction of what you paid.

The Columbo sets are rather nice & if you purchase them at a "good" price from a seller (in Japan or the US perhaps) then the postage has to be taken into account plus customs fees & duties if the parcel is grabbed by customs on entry to the country. Also being multi disc sets the chances are the parcel will be over the two kilo mark & the post costs then can be quite costly bringing the total price to acquire the set/s to above "average" values but often a bit more. If you hold your water & don't jump on a disc or a set at a high(ish) price the chances are that it will turn up again & you may bag a bargain - it can be more fun when that happens & as is often said an item is only "rare" until you find one.

Buying at fairly high prices in the hope of the "values" rising & then selling for a profit at a later date may leave you sitting on them for quite a while & the so called "values" can fluctuate by quite a bit - this is after all is said & done a dead format & the internet has levelled out the values of most "collectables" so if you can live with the postage costs & are buying from overseas most LDs are findable at reasonable costs , it's the postage that can be more costly than the purchase price of the disc or set.

Just enjoy the discs you buy & only pay what they are worth to you, if it is worth more to someone else let them pay over the odds as once they have one the chances are they are then out of the buying line & the next one that turns up could be yours at a much lower price than expected.

Cheers

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 15:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
TV shows look better on LD. Almost as good as on Bluray.

While I do agree with you that TV shows can look good on Laserdisc, I highly doubt it's anywhere as good as the Blu-Ray in this case.
http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/to ... ere/page-3
Upper two shots are from the Japanese Blu-Ray set, and look really nice imo apart from slightly visible combing.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 15:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

To be fair, in Europe only one Columbo story is on BR, and as far as I can see it's not on Netflix UK. (US has S1-7 in HD)

Box sets are definitely for the harder core collector IMO, especially once a good HD transfer is available in one's region. And definitely not items to flip . o O (they're too heavy. they would just fall. /Drax )

The completionist thing - well that and money - are what's kept me back from getting the DS9 S1-5 box sets (less interested in VOY, and if I bought anything TNG it would be the BluRays, aside from maybe S2)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 18:43 
True fan
True fan

je280 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
They must be worth more than that surely? I paid way more than that for them. Maybes I over paid?

Were they bought (two of the sets at least?) about a week to ten days ago from the same UK ebay seller - listed a few days apart & sold for around £90 for both of the sets?

If so they had the obi(s) & were in very good/near mint condition, nice sets.

You were not the only bidder as you said but on ebay, or any auction, it only takes two to tango & the end prices can go a bit silly. Also can you be sure you are bidding against another genuine buyer or is it the sellers friend/relative or the like, sadly that can happen.

If you are happy with what you paid & are pleased with the goods then surely that is all that matters. Yes, perhaps you may have paid a bit more than the "average" selling price but if you wanted them to hold onto/watch/enjoy then do just that & don't worry about the so called values. If you have "bought to sell for profit" (perhaps at a future date) then you may struggle to achieve what you have paid & any kind of "profit" after fees etcetera is highly unlikely - in the UK perhaps 50% of what you have paid if reselling but ebay prices can go a bit crazy sometimes, you may be lucky.

It really amazes me how high some LDs end up selling for on ebay when they are often readily available from sellers with shops on the LDDB site for less money, are often in better condition & the chances are it will be sent out well packed by an LDDB shop seller to protect while in transit - packing standards can be a bit of a lottery on ebay, many sellers do pack well but quite a few others can be truly dreadful on the packing front.

I am pretty sure I have paid "over the average" for a couple of my discs/sets but they were all titles that I wanted & I may have spent some time (often years!!!) looking for them. Quite often though, after much searching, you find that "rare" disc or the one that perhaps completes a set & you pop it happily into your collection to then see that same "rare" or elusive disc turning up on ebay or elsewhere & it sells for a fraction of what you paid.

The Columbo sets are rather nice & if you purchase them at a "good" price from a seller (in Japan or the US perhaps) then the postage has to be taken into account plus customs fees & duties if the parcel is grabbed by customs on entry to the country. Also being multi disc sets the chances are the parcel will be over the two kilo mark & the post costs then can be quite costly bringing the total price to acquire the set/s to above "average" values but often a bit more. If you hold your water & don't jump on a disc or a set at a high(ish) price the chances are that it will turn up again & you may bag a bargain - it can be more fun when that happens & as is often said an item is only "rare" until you find one.

Buying at fairly high prices in the hope of the "values" rising & then selling for a profit at a later date may leave you sitting on them for quite a while & the so called "values" can fluctuate by quite a bit - this is after all is said & done a dead format & the internet has levelled out the values of most "collectables" so if you can live with the postage costs & are buying from overseas most LDs are findable at reasonable costs , it's the postage that can be more costly than the purchase price of the disc or set.

Just enjoy the discs you buy & only pay what they are worth to you, if it is worth more to someone else let them pay over the odds as once they have one the chances are they are then out of the buying line & the next one that turns up could be yours at a much lower price than expected.

Cheers

I paid £40, £35.99 and £35.99. Yes, all 3 sets were from the same seller. I suspected some shill bidding was going on because I put my bids in with 3 seconds to go and still someone else managed to put in an bid upping the price. Still, I still won.

By the way I am no longer selling them. Going to keep them and hope the other sets come up in the future.

The seller was jagsmanuk.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 18:50 
True fan
True fan

happycube wrote:
To be fair, in Europe only one Columbo story is on BR, and as far as I can see it's not on Netflix UK. (US has S1-7 in HD)

Box sets are definitely for the harder core collector IMO, especially once a good HD transfer is available in one's region. And definitely not items to flip . o O (they're too heavy. they would just fall. /Drax )

The completionist thing - well that and money - are what's kept me back from getting the DS9 S1-5 box sets (less interested in VOY, and if I bought anything TNG it would be the BluRays, aside from maybe S2)

I am against all this remastering stuff and replacing all the model shots with cgi. That is like a kick in the teeth to all the people who worked hard producing all those shots. I know I would be mifed.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 19:19 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

All star trek, the prisoner, twin peaks look very watchable against the blu-ray counter parts on my setup. Ld has the original soundtrack lossless whereas bd has new mix in lossless. Close up shots one would have hard time recognizing it a bd or ld. Distant shots bd is much more detailed.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 21:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

daro2096 wrote:
I am against all this remastering stuff and replacing all the model shots with cgi. That is like a kick in the teeth to all the people who worked hard producing all those shots. I know I would be mifed.

I haven't seen em, but the TOS Blu-Rays do offer the original versions as well. Until those, the Japanese boxes were the best NTSC versions apparently - according to a Trek wiki the cleaned up version wasn't used for the US DVD releases(!?)

The TNG remasters kept the original filmed model shots whenever possible - the rest of the post-production like compositing and color timing was redone. There's still a good argument for having the TNG boxes as the best original version, since the DVD's weren't comb filtered very well!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 22:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I haven't seen Columbo on LD or BR, but I can't see the LD being in the same universe as the BR. It depends on the episode and era, but Columbo was a very well made show, basically each episode was the equivalent of a low budget Hollywood movie. Everything was shot on 35mm by some of the best in the business. The BRs should look absolutely amazing, even better as the show goes on into the mid 70s. This isn't some 80s junk shot on tape we're talking about.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2015, 22:46 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
I haven't seen Columbo on LD or BR, but I can't see the LD being in the same universe as the BR. It depends on the episode and era, but Columbo was a very well made show, basically each episode was the equivalent of a low budget Hollywood movie. Everything was shot on 35mm by some of the best in the business. The BRs should look absolutely amazing, even better as the show goes on into the mid 70s. This isn't some 80s junk shot on tape we're talking about.

The Columbo ld sets are a good transfer. Just as good as the DVD releases. The only thing that lets them down are the subtitles. The english track is on the right audio channel only.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 03:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I'm sure they are very nice, but 35mm film has way more picture information than LD can contain. If you want to see this information, the BR is what you want. If you want the nostalgia of NTSC blurr, then get the LD.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 04:40 
Listen Columbo is NOT NOT on blu ray. It is on regular dvd there is no comparing to be done here. It is available on regular dvd either single seasons or as a boxset.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 05:56 
True fan
True fan

Yes it is. Its on blu-ray in Japan but expensive at $500 or so and thats before any taxes and stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbo-Complete- ... B0058BDP80

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 10:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
Yes it is. Its on blu-ray in Japan but expensive at $500 or so and thats before any taxes and stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Columbo-Complete- ... B0058BDP80

I am playing the original reason here. Columbo might be shot it 35mm with much more information that ld could fit. But it wasnt intended to be viewed in high def, so if you want to watch it as the makers though it would be seen when making it, then there is no reason to have anything else then the ld.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 10:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Well you better get a 14" b/w TV too then, since authenticity is important. You should probably get a short range VHF transmitter too, so you can have some nice snow.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 15:09 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Well you better get a 14" b/w TV too then, since authenticity is important. You should probably get a short range VHF transmitter too, so you can have some nice snow.

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well said

don't get me wrong, I love LD and have 100 more than I did when I signed up to the forum.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 17:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:

I would if I could :P I just meant that the hunt for HD doesnt really make the show any better, as long as it decent. That its avaible on BD doesnt really matter for me, the ld is good enough. But in this case I wont want columbo.

Series is so much work to watch, and only 1-2 episodes on each disc, so annoying. But I did however watch that animated Star Trek, that was quite fun, and I really didnt think about that it would be easier with a dvd.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2015, 20:48 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Watching LDs isn't "easy" enough. If I were the sort of person who likes to point out hallmarks of a crumbling society I would use that attitude as a reference. It's...a pretty sad and pathetic attitude unless you are Steven Hawking or Frank Williams or maybe 4 years old.

The reaon why I'm saying all those stuff about HD versions of stuff from the 60s and 70s is because I've watched it. Star Trek TOS is really divisive because of the new FX and change in aspect ratio (neither of which I care for) but when I went through the whole series that way I really appreciated the clarity in actual photography. Columbo is another example. There is no such thing as a detailed wide shot in NTSC. Even shows like Gilligan's Island really come alive on better than NTSC formats.

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next