It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:05

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Twin Peaks significance
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 15:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hello,

I have read about this show and many highly praise it. I have about 10 episodes or so before I am done with it. I don't see anything special about it? In fact, it looks and feels like an obscure TV show from the 80s.

The only thing I noticed about it is that its a weird mix of comedy, horror, mystery, and a lot more. It looks like it has no target audience, and I am not sure if this was due to weak directing or it was intentional.

Can you tell me why this was such a huge pop-culture thing when it first showed up on TV? Why is it praised? Did it stand the test of time? Shall I watch Fire Walk with Me?

Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks significance
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 22:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It did catch the audience at the time.

The "who killed Laura Palmer?" thing was a big hook during the first showings, once the "killer" was revelled many viewers left - there were many other reasons for the fall in ratings though.

If you are so far into the series you may as well stick with it, the last two episodes are worth watching.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 02:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rch928 wrote:
I have read about this show and many highly praise it. I have about 10 episodes or so before I am done with it. I don't see anything special about it? In fact, it looks and feels like an obscure TV show from the 80s.

I would recommend to watch the 1 season only, the second one feels more improvised.

Twin Peaks was highly regarded for its darker tone, cinema-like production, multiple cast, great soundtrack and consistent photography slowly building a thick atmosphere with typical unexplained Lynch elements. And that at a time where alternative popular shows were quite cheesy, low budgeted and mostly episode-based (less linear storytelling).

That an established movie director visited a whole TV series instead of just directing one episode here and there was rather new. Today you wouldn't be surprised at David Fincher taking a take at House of Cards, Martin Scorsese at Boardwalk Empire or Frank Darabont at Walking Dead. Even Woody Allen is working on one now!

It proved a TV series could be done right and probably help rebooted great TV shows we are enjoying now.

Julien

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 14:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

The killer is not revealed still in episode 8 Season 2. This TV show has a very high rating of 8.9/10 on par with Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]