It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:18

Page 1 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Star Trek TNG complete LD set on eBay
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 18:51 
True fan
True fan

Someone is selling this for £650 on eBay. Is that about the right price or too much?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAR-TREK-THE ... 6016.l4276

Post subject: Re: Star Trek TNG complete LD set on eBay
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 18:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Well if anyone interested, I have 2 complete sets, I would settle for half of this price:)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 18:59 
True fan
True fan

If only I had the money. :(

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 18:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

It is a whole lot of money, about $1000 us, but, it would be a one stop shopping.
If you Really, Really want the collection, piecing it together would take a long time and effort on your part.
Now, if they had the decimal point slid over one, then it would be a great price!!
I would not expect the full collection be offered very often, I would also not expect that it would be that appealing to very many buyers.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 18:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

thepenguin wrote:
It is a whole lot of money, about $1000 us, but, it would be a one stop shopping.
If you Really, Really want the collection, piecing it together would take a long time and effort on your part.
Now, if they had the decimal point slid over one, then it would be a great price!!
I would not expect the full collection be offered very often, I would also not expect that it would be that appealing to very many buyers.

I have two complete sets of TNG and 1 set of DS9(only 30 discs were released). I also have the Japanese equivalent box sets for each. I have been meaning to sell one of the TNG and not sure about letting the second set and DS9 go. I am just too lazy for this laserdisc stuff. They are heavy, large, difficult to list(take pictures of each i.e) and buyers are very picky(understandably), at the end of the day they are only a couple of bucks a piece.

this set will never sell for $1000 for sure. $250 is a much more reasonable price. If I ever find the will to list mine, I will price it around $350obo + ship.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 20:21 
True fan
True fan

thepenguin wrote:

Plus the cost of shipping to the UK. The shipping cost for 1 disc can be as much as $18 usd. I asked 1 seller recently how much it would cost to ship 4 and he quoted me nearly $40 usd. :shock: The discs themselves are reasonable cheap at about £3 each but the shipping can be as much as 5 times more than the actual item. And this is before any possible customs charges.

Last edited by daro2096 on 16 Nov 2015, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 20:24 
True fan
True fan

substance wrote:
thepenguin wrote:

I have two complete sets of TNG and 1 set of DS9(only 30 discs were released). I also have the Japanese equivalent box sets for each. I have been meaning to sell one of the TNG and not sure about letting the second set and DS9 go. I am just too lazy for this laserdisc stuff. They are heavy, large, difficult to list(take pictures of each i.e) and buyers are very picky(understandably), at the end of the day they are only a couple of bucks a piece.

this set will never sell for $1000 for sure. $250 is a much more reasonable price. If I ever find the will to list mine, I will price it around $350obo + ship.

I have offered him £2 per disc but he says he paid £700 for the set(£100 of which was shipping). He did offer me the set for £450 but it would take me about 6 weeks to get the money together.

I could probably import the DVD's for less but there is something special about laserdiscs.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 00:21 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I ran this offer through my wife, and, after a few moments, she thought that it was a great offer and that I should certainly go ahead and get them.
However, she would expect us to fly over there to personally inspect each one, spend a week or so, and then return with them in some extra luggage. That would save on shipping she says...
She would do that for me, isn't she great??
[ Sorry Substance, she was not considering Fitchburg as a preferred destination....]

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 03:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Fitchburg the ghetto, man!! I was just in Nashua last friday, stopped by at the barnes and noble for some criterion discs. Invenio is also from NH but he is closer to Manchester.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 13:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I scored a lucky break when I picked the whole set up from Ebay for $200au, and postage for $100au from the US. They took ages to arrive and then the whole lot had been packed in one fairly flimsy box. It was all crushed and split open down one end so the discs (with virtually no packing material) could be seen inside. Quite amazingly, somehow the only damage was a couple of slight corner collapses on some of the discs near the split.

Then I saw how cool the Japan box sets were. Got the complete Next Gen set for only about $70au, felt very clever but then with fedex or EMS the only shipping options it cost $665au to ship all 14 box sets :-( (A big slide in the au/yen exchange rate around that time wasn't helping.)

The Japanese Box sets really are nice. Asides from the great presentation these all have a chapter mark at the end of the opening credits, making skipping them so much more convenient!

Either way 650 pounds (plus shipping) seems far too much. I'm sure with some patience you'll get a better deal.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 14:47 
True fan
True fan

The Star Trek Voyager sets are nearly £300 each in brand new condition on ebay. :shock:

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 21:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Voyager sets are 1/2 season per, but that is still $600 per season - and then they only released 5 seasons in Japan. Season 5, Volume 2 was the 5th to the last title issued in Japan.

I have some irritation over the US TNG discs. By in large, I hated the jacket art. Especially Season 5 where they used an actual toy "Enterprise" on the cover. Then there is Episode 166 (or 266 based on which numbering you use) "Sub Rosa" which is missing the entire 2nd act.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 22:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Since Voyager never had a US release it's 'rare' and they ask crazy prices.

Apparently it's not so rare in Japan...........

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 23:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Captains set in the US has the pilot episodes of ds9 and voyager.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 08:53 
True fan
True fan

blam1 wrote:
Voyager sets are 1/2 season per, but that is still $600 per season - and then they only released 5 seasons in Japan. Season 5, Volume 2 was the 5th to the last title issued in Japan.

I have some irritation over the US TNG discs. By in large, I hated the jacket art. Especially Season 5 where they used an actual toy "Enterprise" on the cover. Then there is Episode 166 (or 266 based on which numbering you use) "Sub Rosa" which is missing the entire 2nd act.

There is one seller selling the two sets that makes up the first season. Opened and they want nearly £180 for it. :shock:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 15:57 
True fan
True fan

The prices on Ebay are crazy. Am actually better off just importing the dvd sets. Just bought seasons 1, 2, 3 box sets released in 2002 for about £72(think I been fiddled on the shipping cost). Shipping was still more than the actuall items.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 15:59 
True fan
True fan

blam1 wrote:

The japan LD artwork is actually the same as the VHS releases in the UK back in the 1990s.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 17:14 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

blam1 wrote:

I have both US and JPN sets, I didn't confirm this myself but you said somewhere else, the JPN set has the corrected video with the missing footage on Sub Rosa.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2015, 23:54 
True fan
True fan

daro2096 wrote:
The prices on Ebay are crazy. Am actually better off just importing the dvd sets. Just bought seasons 1, 2, 3 box sets released in 2002 for about £72(think I been fiddled on the shipping cost). Shipping was still more than the actuall items.

And I got charged £19.30 customs costs of which £8 was an admin fee, the rest was VAT. Grrrr. Value on the package was $51 but I think customs saw it as £51. I would query it but it isn't worth the effort.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 00:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:

And I got charged £19.30 customs costs of which £8 was an admin fee, the rest was VAT. Grrrr. Value on the package was $51 but I think customs saw it as £51. I would query it but it isn't worth the effort.

Declared value of the package contents plus the actual postage cost added together then the VAT at 20% is calculated..... ouch!!! Is that perhaps the reason for the £19.30 total charged?

Received parcels in the past (usually from Japan) that had low value declared items inside but was unlucky in having the parcels pulled at customs, the post cost was around 3 times more than the items so the customs charges all told cost me more than the goods being imported. They were LD box sets so heavy hence the higher postage costs.

Customs fees hurt!!!

Page 1 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next