Page 3 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek TNG complete LD set on eBay
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 06:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Nice job Lucas!! :clap:

How do the discs look?
POST SOME PHOTOS....

Let's see some photos of this MASSIVE collection, go ahead and bring Tokyo Raiders out too- while your at it.
....I wanna see photos!! :D :mrgreen: :D

YIPPY SKIPPY!!!!! :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 14:29 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Will need to inspect the set more closely, before rating it, pricing it and putting it up for sale .
I will take some pictures tomorrow; swamped at Haema at the moment :-( And still need to do two autopsies later...
TR is still sealed, will remain so, and is not up for sale ! Can take some pictures if you like ;-)

bibi,
lucas.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 00:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Sounds delightful my friend Lucas :mrgreen:
...photos would be nice when ever you may get the time, I understand grading/pricing so much inventory can be ALOT of work, so take your time and ENJOY the discs ;)
Yes, Hopefully all the Star Trek discs looks and play nicely :thumbup:

TR sounds AWESOME... I -LOVE -IT!!
....Everything has a price RIGHT :geek: :geek: :geek:

Best wishes
John

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2016, 12:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Sadly that the last episode ALL GOOD THINGS where not in the 7th season cover layout, it has this blue special edition cover, which does not fit to the collection. I still hope and deam maybe find a ultra rare first edition or protoype promo pressing in the right grey marble color sheme ...

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016, 05:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hey moon-child :wave: 8-) :wave:
...Wow!!! I didn't know that!!

I'd love to find a prototype/promo as well :thumbup:
...the search continues ;)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 12:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

It must be really nice to have the complete seasons of ST:TNG on laserdiscs. But I don't understand why people is eager to own an inferior complete seasons set in terms of video quality, when you can have it in superior HD nowadays. Is there anything I have been missing, apart from the esthetics part of having a gatefold cover or jacket? :)

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 12:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserpaal wrote:
It must be really nice to have the complete seasons of ST:TNG on laserdiscs. But I don't understand why people is eager to own an inferior complete seasons set in terms of video quality, when you can have it in superior HD nowadays. Is there anything I have been missing, apart from the esthetics part of having a gatefold cover or jacket? :)

Perhaps I can answer this as my wife and I did a complete viewing of TOS and TNG this past year (on laserdiscs). We were going to watch the new updated HD versions but upon viewing clips of the new remastered HD versions, two simple facts came to light immediately: "This does not look like what I remember when watching it as a kid" and "Oh look, they're using CGI there."

I was a young kid in the 80's so I only saw TOS in reruns, but I was watching TNG as it was airing so I have a pretty good recollection of the series. I don't mind that they updated the video to HD quality, that's actually cool. However, the CGI completely ruins it for me. This is especially true in TOS which just pulls me out of the narrative when I see some cheap cardboard sets and then a quick cut to some ultra detailed CGI wide shot or spaceship. I found this to be true in TNG as well. Every time the Enterprise enters orbit there is a new fancy ultra-realistic planet surface with water, continents, clouds moving... Ah,.. that's not the TNG I remember. Again, it completely pulls that nostalgic feeling out of the experience.

Some things are better left alone. I know that some don't mind that CGI millennium falcon flying through cloud city in Empire, but it always bothers me because I saw star wars 100 times before that was added in the late 90's and I instinctively know "it's not supposed to be there". I'm not against CGI or HD. However, I find it jarring to see obvious CGI mixed in with classic effects. The shift is not subtle in most cases and this detracts from the experience.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 09:28 
True fan
True fan

I agree about the cgi mixing with Star Trek on the blu-rays. Would rather see the originals.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2016, 18:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for clarifying the question, Invenio. Well, I'm too young to have experienced the unaltered Star Trek TNG at the very first screening, apart from watching the complete series a few years ago on DVD.
Star Trek Voyager was actually the first Star Trek show I grew up with. :)

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 18:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have the following;

TOS:

DVD
LD (JPN) [my US set now belongs to invenio]
BD
HD-DVD(1st season only)

Winner: BD but LDs are quite watchable. BD has the original monorual audio in lossy DD, LD is lossless PCM. HD-DVDs are the remastered versions only. On BD you can select both original and remastered. HD-DVD set has a 78 minute extra which isn't found anywhere else.

TNG:
LD (JPN)
LD (US)
BD (sold all DVDs)

Winner: LDs because the BDs don't offer unaltered versions like the TOS set did. The original Dolby Surround mix is in lossy DD on BD. Both JPN and US LDs offer the same video and audio quality, perhaps comes from the same masters. DVDs were terrible especially in the early seasons.

Enterprise:

DVD (US)
BD (US)

Winner: BD!! These were shot in 1080i in digital. The original audio was DD5.1. Blurays are correctly telecined to 24p and audio is now lossless. BDs are as good as these can get.

Voyager:

LD (US Captain's set)
LD (JPN)
DVD (US)

Winner: LD!! but the DVD versions aren't as bad as the early TNG DVDs. LD has the original Dolby Surround audio in lossless PCM.

DS9:

LD (US Captain's set)
LD (JPN)
DVD (US)

Winner: same as above.

Overall:

I recommend TOS on BD since it looks magnificent and you can get the unaltered ones on the same disc. The audio is lossy but it's adequate for a 60s show. You also get the new 7.1 mix with extra dynamics.

I recommend TNG on US LDs because they are cheaper for the US residents. Europeans can go for both JPN and US sets since shipping would probably cost about the same.

Enterprise should definitely be on BD, no questions here.

Voyager and DS9 perhaps are more efficient on DVD unless you are a big fan of the shows and want the best presentation. LDs offer a little better picture but too expensive to import from Japan. DVDs look watchable on a good DVD player.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2016, 20:25 
Nice summary, been keeping an eye out for season 4 & 5 of voyager jp that I really want. Never seen them in Europe. When they pop up here mostly the shipping from us is very high.

Maybe I should just import them through some proxy bidding instead..

Page 3 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3