It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:15

Page 2 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek TNG complete LD set on eBay
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 00:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening Guys,

Star Trek TNG / DEEP SPACE NINE / VOYAGER & ENTERPRISE.

I have all of the Movies on laserdisc US / Japanese and around 40 episodes of TNG on LD

I did contemplate owning them all on Laserdisc but decided many years ago That I would wait and purchase them all re mastered on Blu-Ray, of which I have done so, and should receive season 3 / 4 & 6 this coming week.

Enterprise is available on Blu-Ray of which I shall purchase next.

Great seeing all of these collections thou, very impressive, and hard work to achieve these purchases no doubt.

Kind Regards to everyone here

:thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 03:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have a lot of Star Trek on home media(not as many as blam1:) here is my take on them.

Best versions to own TOS are the blu-ray seasons. They include both the unaltered and special editions in remastered 1080p. HD-DVD version is also cool, it has one extra about 78 minutes which doesn't exist in the blu-ray versions but it has the unaltered versions in SD DVD form, only special editions are 1080p. Here I see no reason to own LD or DVD versions unless you want to own them all

TNG seasons exist in 1080p blu-ray but they are the special editions with altered special effects. They didn't include the unaltered versions on these sets. Special editions on TNG are done in a way they don't distract as much, the new cgi effects blend well with the age of the show. On the TOS, the new cgi effects really stand out, you could tell they were put there many years later. For this reason, you may not need to pursue unaltered TNG seasons but if you must, LD versions are superior to the DVD sets. Especially the first 4 seasons of the DVD sets are full of compression artifacts and don't offer sharper video. They are probably ported from the LD masters. The US LDs and the JPN ones are similar in picture. In my opinion, BDs are the definitive ve versions to own but I also recommend your favorite episodes on LD.

Enterprise were shot on film but edited/mastered in HD video for broadcasting. These are direct ports to blu-ray so they are the definitive versions to own.

DS9 and Voyager didn't make it to blu-ray, perhaps never will. Like TNG DVDs, the first few seasons are poorly mastered except Voyager. Voyager is above average but still not great. I prefer LDs over DVDs. Only the first 5 seasons made it to LD so no choice but DVDs for season 6 and 7. But later seasons are better mastered anyway.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 10:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
I have a lot of Star Trek on home media(not as many as blam1:) here is my take on them.

Thanks for that, very informative & helpful :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 15:36 
True fan
True fan

je280 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:
The prices on Ebay are crazy. Am actually better off just importing the dvd sets. Just bought seasons 1, 2, 3 box sets released in 2002 for about £72(think I been fiddled on the shipping cost). Shipping was still more than the actuall items.

And I got charged £19.30 customs costs of which £8 was an admin fee, the rest was VAT. Grrrr. Value on the package was $51 but I think customs saw it as £51. I would query it but it isn't worth the effort.

Declared value of the package contents plus the actual postage cost added together then the VAT at 20% is calculated..... ouch!!! Is that perhaps the reason for the £19.30 total charged?

Received parcels in the past (usually from Japan) that had low value declared items inside but was unlucky in having the parcels pulled at customs, the post cost was around 3 times more than the items so the customs charges all told cost me more than the goods being imported. They were LD box sets so heavy hence the higher postage costs.

Customs fees hurt!!!

In that case they have under charged me as I paid £72 for it. But I thought they don't charge on postage.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 21:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
In that case they have under charged me as I paid £72 for it. But I thought they don't charge on postage.

Hi daro2096,

been a wee while since I had a parcel stopped at customs but the last couple that were, when I picked the parcels up at our local sorting office, had the fees explained that way to me. The value was declared at US $25 which took it to just above the non-fee threshold & the postage cost was about US $15 or so. I cannot remember the exact amount I had to pay but will check back, might still have the packing boxes - around about the UK £13 or £14ish mark each time or thereabouts including the £8 so called handling fee.

There were also a couple of times in the past customs read the $ as £s so the cost to clear was higher than normal but spent almost an hour explaining why a parcel from Japan was declared in dollars rather than yen but they did get it & the fees were adjusted.

Hope I have not been ripped off be our customs office :thumbdown: :lol: .

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2015, 22:59 
True fan
True fan

je280 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:

Hi daro2096,

been a wee while since I had a parcel stopped at customs but the last couple that were, when I picked the parcels up at our local sorting office, had the fees explained that way to me. The value was declared at US $25 which took it to just above the non-fee threshold & the postage cost was about US $15 or so. I cannot remember the exact amount I had to pay but will check back, might still have the packing boxes - around about the UK £13 or £14ish mark each time or thereabouts including the £8 so called handling fee.

There were also a couple of times in the past customs read the $ as £s so the cost to clear was higher than normal but spent almost an hour explaining why a parcel from Japan was declared in dollars rather than yen but they did get it & the fees were adjusted.

Hope I have not been ripped off be our customs office :thumbdown: :lol: .

First time this year I got hit for customs charges. And it is for some reason always Star Trek the Next Generation. When I imported the LD's over 12 years ago every time I imported STTNG I got hit with customs. Wouldn't mind so much if there was no admin fee to pay. The deliverer was Parcelforce.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 00:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
TNG seasons exist in 1080p blu-ray but they are the special editions with altered special effects. They didn't include the unaltered versions on these sets. Special editions on TNG are done in a way they don't distract as much, the new cgi effects blend well with the age of the show.

In TNG's case (and early DS9 IIRC) most of the effects were filmed, so they're the same effects with much better telecining and compositing. Things that only existed in video are probably easier to recreate faithfully.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 02:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

happycube wrote:
In TNG's case (and early DS9 IIRC) most of the effects were filmed, so they're the same effects with much better telecining and compositing. Things that only existed in video are probably easier to recreate faithfully.

Yes that was my understanding too - whenever possible they used the original filmed elements to recreate the exact same effects for the TNG special editions.

This wasn't always possible, but from what I see they were still as true to the original look as possible. The only major 'upgrade' I can think of off the top of my head was the crystalline entity, but even then it stays quite true to the original but with greatly increased detail.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 02:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I'm just watching DS9 through for the first time on LD after completing TNG, and I totally agree with substance that these are nicer to watch than the DVD's.

The quality of original TNG's early on was very variable. I was watching season 6 or 7 episodes on LD and when I jumped back to a season 3 episode it looked quite bad in comparison. On the early ones PQ can vary episode to episode and even changes noticeably sometimes between different shots in the same episode.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 18:36 
True fan
True fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
I'm just watching DS9 through for the first time on LD after completing TNG, and I totally agree with substance that these are nicer to watch than the DVD's.

The quality of original TNG's early on was very variable. I was watching season 6 or 7 episodes on LD and when I jumped back to a season 3 episode it looked quite bad in comparison. On the early ones PQ can vary episode to episode and even changes noticeably sometimes between different shots in the same episode.

Is that why there is a red tint in some of the 1st season episodes? Or does my tv need adjustment?

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 23:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

:-) Ever since my first TNG LD back in the early 90's at times I found myself fiddling with the tint control; never seeming to be able to get it quite right.

The red uniforms sometimes had purplish hues which if I remember right the DVD's have too and I think are part of the NTSC video masters in this case. (We in PAL countries used to feel some kind of smug superiority as we gloated over our extra lines of resolution and referred to NTSC as Never Twice the Same Colour!!!!). The issue is of course corrected in the BD versions with nice vivid red uniforms.

Though above I was thinking more of how it looked like going back to a blurry 'low res video tape' look by comparison to the later episodes where it would seem the video gear they were editing the show on must have improved considerably and they're really nice and clear and sharp. DS9 is good from the start (commencing at the same time as season 6 TNG) and I popped the first episode of Voyager in for a peak a while ago and that looks really very good.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 00:26 
True fan
True fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
:-) Ever since my first TNG LD back in the early 90's at times I found myself fiddling with the tint control; never seeming to be able to get it quite right.

The red uniforms sometimes had purplish hues which if I remember right the DVD's have too and I think are part of the NTSC video masters in this case. (We in PAL countries used to feel some kind of smug superiority as we gloated over our extra lines of resolution and referred to NTSC as Never Twice the Same Colour!!!!). The issue is of course corrected in the BD versions with nice vivid red uniforms.

Though above I was thinking more of how it looked like going back to a blurry 'low res video tape' look by comparison to the later episodes where it would seem the video gear they were editing the show on must have improved considerably and they're really nice and clear and sharp. DS9 is good from the start (commencing at the same time as season 6 TNG) and I popped the first episode of Voyager in for a peak a while ago and that looks really very good.

I just bought a blu-ray player off eBay. I hope to in the new year get the STTNG blu-ray sets. Am just waiting for the right price. There was a sealed region A season 1 set on sale for £60 with corrected discs and slipcover but 1: couldn't afford it and 2: £60 is just too much to pay(it was UK based though). I could import all 7 seasons for about $218 usd(about £160) plus shipping plus custom charges.

PAL colour is immune to the problems that NTSC suffers from like faces that look like they got serious liver problems. I forget why. I used to think NTSC looked so bad on UK TV due to the conversion process but having been in the USA and watched their programmes on a tv in hotels there it looks just as bad esp. the news stations. Why are the cameras used on us news networks look so bad? I seen VHS tapes that look better and that is saying something.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 01:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Phase Alternating Line (PAL) - colour errors effectively cancel themselves out.

The TNG BD's really are nice :D

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2016, 03:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I swore to myself and my girlfriend that I would never try to collect all the episodes of Star Trek on LD...but this is tempting but I barely have enough room for my discs as it is. All I have done are favorite episodes, pilots and finales. I will stick with the BD versions of TOS, and TNG for whole seasons.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 12:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

We just finished doing a watch of the entire ST:TNG series on laserdisc. It was a ton of fun. I was able to acquire a few of the seasons in their entirety but had to hunt down a few disks to make it complete. Such a great series. Plus a very nice collection to have. I highly recommend it to anybody who is a scifi or start trek fan. The new remastered versions available on streaming sites and blu-ray are wonderful, but I actually prefer the unaltered versions as that is how I remember them when I was watching the series 20+ years ago.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 20:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If they did the LD mastering correctly, the LD's should be a really good representation of the original D2 masters. So the off-color stuff was likely always like that, at least pre-remaster.

(edit: and in the HD remaster promo material they pointed out the inconsistent color timing in the originals)

Last edited by happycube on 22 May 2016, 18:48, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Happycube Labs: Where the past is being re-made, today. [meep!]

PostPosted: 19 May 2016, 18:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

It's interesting the notes about color in the TNG discs. I have been doing a watch though of TNG on LD for the first time and noticed a few episodes together in particular some time during season 5 or season 6 that had purple uniforms and weird blown out colors in places. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my player.
LX-1000U (1990)
Samsung PN51F5300 Plasma HDTV (2013)

PostPosted: 22 May 2016, 16:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

particle wrote:
It's interesting the notes about color in the TNG discs. I have been doing a watch though of TNG on LD for the first time and noticed a few episodes together in particular some time during season 5 or season 6 that had purple uniforms and weird blown out colors in places. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my player.

I don't think it's your player. I noticed this as well.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2016, 00:37 
Third post and above
Third post and above

He,
should anybody still be interested in the complete US Release set of ST tNG, I am picking up a lot of Laserdiscs early this Sunday morning, and if all is well, it should be part of the lot ( some still sealed, I’m told ).
Not sure what to expect ! Discs might have been stored in a damp cellar or mouse-ridden attic for years…
Will see if all is as stated ( and complete ), take pictures and report back here on Sunday evening.

I live in Amsterdam, the NL; so when shipped within the EU, should avoid import duties 
( a Nexit is on the agenda here more then it was a week ago ;-) )

Sort of a shame.
Bought, what I thought was a complete set years ago, counted them then and there, thought it was complete, only to find one disc missing as I laid them out on the table at home. Grrr…
Spend years trying to find the “final” disc, and did so on Monday, just two weeks ago 
Disc was US $ 15 and S&H costs US $ 25 ( not sure what import duties will be; VAT is 20 % in the NL ).
Still, I was over the moon !!!

But then I find this add on a Saturday, just shy of a week later…
Two Voyager Season 5 boxes, some DTS, Criterion, Signature and a lot of films and Karaoke; AND incl. was ( is ) the complete ST tNG set…
So I could have just bought this lot, and have the set complete ( now I have two complete sets, and am able to sell one as complete ;-) ).

More Sunday evening !

bibi,
lucas.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 00:38 
Third post and above
Third post and above

OK,
picked up the set this morning :-)

the good:
- the set is complete ( all 89 discs )
- all are in white paper inner sleeves
- 17 of the 89 discs are still factory sealed

the bad:
- a few split spines
- some bend corners

In general covers look good; dito for the discs ( visually ! ).

I'll have more time to inspect the set more closely on Tuesday or Wednesday.

bibi,
lucas.

Page 2 of 3 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next