It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:50

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 01:50 
True fan
True fan

...when I can buy the Blu-Ray sets much cheaper?

Post subject: Re: Is it still worth it buying the STTNG Japan box sets...
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 00:38 
True fan
True fan

Then again the LD sets do keep their value to some extent. I have some of the 2003 region 1 releases and couldn't even get rid of them at a fiver each when I tried to sell them a few months back.

Just don't think the japan sets are worth more than £20 each however. It is the huge shipping cost from the US or Japan that is putting me off.

Weird answering my own question.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 01:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

daro2096 wrote:
Then again the LD sets do keep their value to some extent. I have some of the 2003 region 1 releases and couldn't even get rid of them at a fiver each when I tried to sell them a few months back.

Just don't think the japan sets are worth more than £20 each however. It is the huge shipping cost from the US or Japan that is putting me off.

Yes the shipping is the killer on sets like that & with payment in most cases in US $ plus given the exchange rate at the moment on GB £ sterling being pretty crappy (& for the foreseeable future) it makes them even more costly for UK buyers, don't think I will be buying much from outwith our shores for the next wee while.

Also didn't want you feeling "weird" answering your own question!!

Cheers

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 01:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

je280 wrote:

lol

Well I have the blu-rays, R4 DVD (Best packaging of any region I think!), US LD's and Japanese LD's. Clearly I've not been excessive about this and am well placed to provide sensible advice!

I'm glad I have them, those nice shiny black box sets are very cool. Picked them all up complete with obi's for less than $10au each from Yahoo JP, but then yeah those big heavy discs, shipping was around $50au per box.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 09:20 
True fan
True fan

je280 wrote:
daro2096 wrote:

Yes the shipping is the killer on sets like that & with payment in most cases in US $ plus given the exchange rate at the moment on GB £ sterling being pretty crappy (& for the foreseeable future) it makes them even more costly for UK buyers, don't think I will be buying much from outwith our shores for the next wee while.

Cheers

Got in touch with a seller from Japan selling 4 sets and he(I am assuming it is a he) said he could ship for $72 but by sea mail. :( (I had a STDS9 season 2 vol 1 set sent by surface and it took at least 8 weeks to arrive, cost me about £40 in total but it arrived with the spines of the covers split due to the discs moving back and forth inside their covers I think. I hate those elephant condom sleeves). Don't know if the seller would accept £80 plus shipping for his sets plus the £60 for shipping. Looking at possibly £140-£160 for the 4 sets. Is it worth it?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 23:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Yes. The blu-ray remasters, while excellently done, do have some revisionism issues. There are some composite shots, effects, cgi, etc. that are noticeably redone. Notable examples include the planets in orbital scenes, CGI Borg drones added to a cube interior shot in Q Who, and redone CGI for the Crystalline Entity. There are many other examples, admittedly mostly less noticeable stuff including corrections. To be honest, I personally went for just the blu-ray of season 2, for the reconstructed unaired extended edit of Measure of a Man.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021, 23:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

yayanalog wrote:
Yes. The blu-ray remasters, while excellently done, do have some revisionism issues. There are some composite shots, effects, cgi, etc. that are noticeably redone. Notable examples include the planets in orbital scenes, CGI Borg drones added to a cube interior shot in Q Who, and redone CGI for the Crystalline Entity. There are many other examples, admittedly mostly less noticeable stuff including corrections. To be honest, I personally went for just the blu-ray of season 2, for the reconstructed unaired extended edit of Measure of a Man.

Stuff like the Crystalline Entity had to be redone, the original effect was only ever rendered in SD.

I have the old 20th Anniversary DVD box set and while I don't mind the changes, I had to keep it because Paramount didn't bother porting over all the extras from past releases, and I hate it when studios do that. But I suppose if you just want to watch the show in SD, Laserdisc is probably the best it's gonna look.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

We do all know that this bot resurrected a dead topic from 2016 right???

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 01:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

That explains why it seemed so strangely off-topic, I thought they were just being metaphorical.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 06:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's on Hulu. Whatever versions they are airing look alright to me, and are in HD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]