It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:26

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Projector Home Theater Thread - Gallery and Projector To
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2014, 00:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Sorry guys but receivers and projectors are not scalars. A video processor is not all about the chip in it. It really is a small part of it.

Could you elaborate on this a little... As I understand it, a scaler is simply a component that takes a signal and converts into a higher resolution signal. Receivers and projectors essentially are devices with scalers built in. There are bad and good stand alone scalers, and there are good and bad scalers built into receivers/projectors (although I have never seen a great scaler in a projector alone, I have seen really good scalers in high end receivers and other components (the oppo digital blu-ray players come to mind)).

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 00:08 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If you really mean strictly a "scalar" then yes all receivers, projectors, even TVs have one built in. I was assuming you meant a video processor then nearly none of the projectors, TVs, receivers have one built in. Of course in the sense of a modern video processor circa 2006+. If you compare your receiver to a faroudja from 2001 then yes your receiver will do a better job.

Lets check the list

EDID overwrite(to force you cable box etc.. for native output)
advance aspect ratio management including CIH(constant image height) modes, masking, over scan, position compensation, etc..
De-interlacing modes, (forced film mode come to mind)
selectable multiple scaling algorithms (sharper, more aggressive for less compress vs. smoother for high compressed sources)
Y/C delay compensation(essential for most LD gear)
Programmable profiles(so film material is output at 1080p24 where video is 1080p60 or 50 etc..)
CMS(color management system), secondary colors, gamma booster, isf modes
Colorspace management (match your displays native processing colorspace for lesser internal conversions)
Source(profiles) specific picture management(adjust each dvd, ld, bd separately) and cms, colorspace, de-interlacing mode, scaling mode, etc..
I can probably add a few more if I think further.

You can buy a lumagen radiance XS or XE for around $1000-1200. DVDO Iscan Duo and Crystalio II are much less around $1000-800. Anything older than Iscan duo lacks so many features, I don't recommend anything older. Vp50pro is good if you are really after best de-interlacing but missing CMS.

If you are already in projectors setup, another $1000 is well-worth investment. Once you have one of the above VPs in your system, you would never step down especially if you deal with subpar formats like DVD, cable/satellite, LD.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014, 13:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Oppo digitals marketing is misleading. It uses the mediatek system on chip(which is the mpeg decoder primarly) for deinterlacing and scaling. Qdeo is later used for noise reduction, contrast enhancing and edge enhancing. I own a bdp105 for a year now. Contrast and edge enhancing are as you would also guess not desired. Noise reduction even on lowest setting washes detail off. Its not really very adjustable anyway. One control for dnr, mnr and bar.
So i disagree it could make a video processor. It also lacks all above listed features. It is a good transport and a cd player. Oppo bdp 85 on the other hand uses abt2010 for deinterlacing, scaling, noise reduction(same as dv983 dvd player) and is superb. But it doesn't have hdmi input.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 01:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have just recently bought a DVDO iscan VP50pro processor/scaler to go with my Pioneer LD-S2 in my main FP system. The picture does look a little smoother with the VP than straight to my projector. I am using the composite output from laser disc to bypass it's older comb filter but I will have to try it's SVHS output to see if it has the better one. I don't use any noise correction as it seems to add noise to the picture instead of reduce it. I am still new to the VP so maybe I have to play with it a little more. I do find that there is a difference in quality between laser discs for picture so some look very good while others not so much. Audio is still very satisfying.

Another nice thing about using a VP is that I have only one HDMI cable going to my projector and have DVD/BluRay/Netflix, satellite TV and Laser Disc connected to the DVDO. It makes a nice video switcher without having a bunch of cables snaking around to my projector.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 01:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Dvdo vp50pro uses analog devices made 2d adaptive comb filter. I had this same unit. Comparing to the comb filter in my cld-97, it is about the same quality. I would think s2 and cld-97 have similar comb filter as they are designed 1.5 year apart. They both had the best comb filter if their time.
Dvdo units have the best deinterlacing for any source period. The problem is their scaling. Especially on vp50 it is very aggressive and cause extreme ringing. I recommended using negative edge enhancement to compensate for this.
S2s picture is noise free i wouldn't use any noise reduction of any kind.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 01:51 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you, I will give that a try! :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2