It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:52

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Faroudja NRS - Does anyone use it ?
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 17:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Does anyone here use the Faroudja NRS for your laserdisc player ? Are there any amprovement in picture ? Seen alot now on ebay so Im thinking of buying one. Should cost me around 200 usd. So have it made a 200 usd improvement of the picture ?

Interesting fact, I have a harman kardon AVR 260 with an projector (optoma hd200x) which did cost me 1300 usd for 2 years ago. My father which use a Harman Kardon AVR 155 but a much more expensive projector bought at the same time, think it cost him 3500 usd at the same time.

The ld picture is stunning on his screen compare to mine. Im using a RG7 and he got a CLD-95 that I gave him. Buying a new projector today I would easy pay 3 times my price to get that picture. I was actually close of going home and throw mine out the window after seeing the PQ he got.

Now I count down all hours on my lamp so I can buy a new one.

In the end, you always get what you pay for =)

Post subject: Re: Faroudja NRS - Does anyone use it ?
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 14:48 
True fan
True fan

johan184 wrote:
Does anyone here use the Faroudja NRS for your laserdisc player ? Are there any amprovement in picture ? Seen alot now on ebay so Im thinking of buying one. Should cost me around 200 usd. So have it made a 200 usd improvement of the picture ?

Interesting fact, I have a harman kardon AVR 260 with an projector (optoma hd200x) which did cost me 1300 usd for 2 years ago. My father which use a Harman Kardon AVR 155 but a much more expensive projector bought at the same time, think it cost him 3500 usd at the same time.

The ld picture is stunning on his screen compare to mine. Im using a RG7 and he got a CLD-95 that I gave him. Buying a new projector today I would easy pay 3 times my price to get that picture. I was actually close of going home and throw mine out the window after seeing the PQ he got.

Now I count down all hours on my lamp so I can buy a new one.

In the end, you always get what you pay for =)

I enjoy mine. I see a marked improvement in PQ. The NRS also has an excellent comb filter.

Be sure that you buy one with the proper resolution output for your display. They come in two flavors:

1. Factory output preset by Faroudja.
2. Upgraded to multiple resolution outputs by Lifestyles Home Entertainment.

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 14:53 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Some irda,lcos technology projectors are more suitable for analog sources. Cld-95 is a much higher signal to noise ratio player than r7g. Scaler in the receiver cant help much with laserdisc. Make sure to compare setups with the same film and make sure both systems are calibrated for ld.
Be careful with faroudja nrs purchase. Resolution is set at the factory and can not be changed. Most sellers on ebay wont mention what their nrs is set to output. I had one with 720x480 pixel configuration. So it was only deinterlacing laserdisc and another scaler was needed to scale to 1080p. I didnt experiment with it much I gave it to my friend.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The 2D comb filter in Faroudja's stand alone line doublers/scalers are much more sophisticated than the implementation in IC based Faroudja comb filters in receivers. Plus the line doublers use Faroudja's patented Chroma Bandwidth Expansion that uses the luminance edges to 'speed up' the chroma transition, making it sharper without artifacts, giving the look of much higher color resolution. The Faroudja scalers also use the comb filter circuit that eliminates rainbow cross-color artifacts on diagonals patterns and moving edges. And they have a dot-crawl/hanging dot reduction feature that can also eliminate dot-crawl that's already present in the source, like MCA Videodisc release of Olivia Newton-John In Concert - it was comb filtered and edited, then recombined for composite LaserDisc. As a result, the disc has built-in dot crawl all over it due to the simple comb filter used and even the newest 3D comb filters in modern televisions can't do a thing about it - but the Faroudja's comb filter can eliminate almost all of it without damaging the picture resolution since a cut off of all frequencies above about 240 lines of resolution is the only way to eliminate it otherwise.

All these features are present in the Sage Faroudja IC chip, but for some reason, no company has ever turned them on in their receivers or televisions. Only some DVD players, like one model from Zenith and certain Panasonic's and Denon's have implemented the extra comb filter features.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 19:36 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Crystalio 2 video processor also has these available. It has two seperate chips for sd deinterlacing. Faroudja fli2300 and gennum vxp. You can chose which one to use. Scaling is done by the gennum vxp chip in both cases. It also has the TI 3d/2d adaptive comb filter. 3d can be disabled or tweaked for luma/chroma gain and threshold. It has the dot crowl filter but the owners manual does not explain if this is the TI chips feature or faroudja. But it works like you explained it. It removes dot crowl without detail loss.
Crystalio 2 is pretty rare. It took me several years to find one used. Brandnew ones are too expensive for what it does.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 14:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

are there any way to know its locked without test it ? are there a sticker on it or something ?

Help a noob out here. if its locked at 1024 X 768 will it stretch the original resolution to fit this or will it just scale it upp to fit a 1024 X 768 ?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 14:55 
True fan
True fan

johan184 wrote:
are there any way to know its locked without test it ? are there a sticker on it or something ?

Yes, there is a sticker on the back that states the resolution that it's set at.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 15:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

lizardkingjr wrote:
johan184 wrote:

Yes, there is a sticker on the back that states the resolution that it's set at.

So would a 1024 X 768 work good or would it stretch the ld image ?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 20:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

johan184 wrote:
lizardkingjr wrote:
johan184 wrote:

no one knows ?

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 22:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Quote:
johan184 wrote:

no one knows ?

The important question is: Is 1024x768 the native resolution of your Optoma?
Wasn't there a scaler especially made for Optoma units, I think the name was like Optoma HD 3000 or something along the line.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 23:33 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Good point, its not. Native res is 1080 on mine. There is currently 3 for sale on ebay.

1024x768
540p
16:9 - Whatever this means ?

I am open for any processor that can be bought for <200 usd. That improve the PQ.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 03:36 
True fan
True fan

johan184 wrote:
Good point, its not. Native res is 1080 on mine. There is currently 3 for sale on ebay.

1024x768
540p
16:9 - Whatever this means ?

I am open for any processor that can be bought for <200 usd. That improve the PQ.

The 540p one should work if your 1080i projector.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 04:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Almost every 720p plasma tvs in the market has the 1024x768 resolution. There were very few in the past that had true 720p resolution. Your Optoma projo is 1080p60fps native display. It does NOT support 1080p24fps. I guess any resolution upto 1080p60fps minus(-) 1080p24fps will work. Scaling is a simpler tast than de-interlacing. Scaling is always done in (p)progressive form. So if you provide a quality progressive feed into your scaler, it should upscale it to 1080p60fps with little difficulty.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 10:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

substance wrote:
Almost every 720p plasma tvs in the market has the 1024x768 resolution. There were very few in the past that had true 720p resolution. Your Optoma projo is 1080p60fps native display. It does NOT support 1080p24fps. I guess any resolution upto 1080p60fps minus(-) 1080p24fps will work. Scaling is a simpler tast than de-interlacing. Scaling is always done in (p)progressive form. So if you provide a quality progressive feed into your scaler, it should upscale it to 1080p60fps with little difficulty.

I am pretty sure it does support 24 fps.. but anyway. its only the laserdisc player I will feed to the projector, might go threw my reciever if I dont see any difference.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 02:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

how much of the picture is cropped when switching between letterbox and anamorphic?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 16:31 
True fan
True fan

elieb wrote:
how much of the picture is cropped when switching between letterbox and anamorphic?

Too much for my liking.

This is why I switched from the NRS to a Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 13:26 
Hello all and sorry for necro-bumping (I hope someone out there still reads this)! :angel:

I've got myself a Faroudja NRS 720p from ebay. I wanted to hook it up with a Pioneer CLD-D925 laserdisc player, an Onkyo-TX-NR906 AVR and a BenQ W1070 projector.
The idea is to let the Faroudja do the interlacing and upscaling to 720p, then apply the different noise reduction filters of the Onkyo and - if neccessary - upscaling to 1080p.
Since I would have needed to buy special BNC-to-cinch cables to properly connect the Faroudja's YPrPb ports to the Onkyo I chose to buy a cheap VGA-to-HDMI converter and simply used the Faroudja's D15F output.

This way I successfully got a proper picture out of my projector. I liked what the Faroudja did to my laserdiscs, it seems to handle the deinterlacing and upscaling much better than the Onkyo on it's own. In layman's terms I'd say the picture now looks more natural and analogue than it did with the Onkyo's enhancements which looked more artifical. I'm sorry my english doesn't suffice to describe it any better.

Strangely though, the Onkyo isn't able to process the image any further, it seems to only pass it through to the projector. Whatever setting I choose (e.g. mosquito noise reduction, gamma correction or uscaling to 1080p) there's no visible change in picture quality and the projector is still receiving 720p resolution.
The Onkyo's display seems to confirm this by showing both input and output signal as RGB-8-bit. This gets even stranger considering that Onkyo boasts that the TX-NR906 is able to upscale any video signal from any source to 1080p.

What could be the matter here? Did I choose the wrong connection type or am I outputting the wrong signal type? Needless to say I'm not very proficient with signal types and their appropriate connections, so please bear with me.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, perhaps someone uses a similar setup and could tell me how he got the AVR to process the image received by the Faroudja.

Thanks in advance for your help and please pardon my english.

Best regards,
FuzzyQ

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 18:23 
True fan
True fan

Hello,
I have a Faroudja NRS 720p and use these and connect with a component cable (red blue green). I then select YPrPb from the NRS menu and am able to upscale to what ever my AVR can do. The connectors are cheap and should be available in your area.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2015, 18:31 
Thank you, bguzman, I'm very glad to read this! You're right, those adaptors are available here. I'll order some right now.
Have a great day and best regards!

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 09:47 
Hello again!

Something's amiss here. Those adaptors finally arrived and I hooked the NRS like you described. Now I can't get any picture from the Onkyo. I get a 480p backlit window on screen and the input/output field on the amp shows unknown->480p (meaning unknown input signal and 480p output signal). So it doesn't seem to recognize the incoming video signal, which should be 720p. I double and triple checked that I assigned the proper component video channel in the receiver and tried every different output setting on the video processor but still no dice.
Just to make sure the adaptors and the component cable are alright I hooked up the whole thing directly to a monitor, thus bypassing the amp, and voilà: There was my picture.
Any ideas what could be the problem here?

Could a factory reset of the NRS help? The manual states that one should contact tech support before trying a factory reset because it "may cause compatibility issues with your setup". Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks again in advance for any helpful answer!
Best regards.

EDIT: I just connected a XBox360 to the component ports of the amp and tried every possible output resolution (408p - 1080i). Everything worked flawlessly, so I'm not having any damaged component ports either. This really puzzles me. Why can't the Onkyo interpret the video signal from the Faroudja?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next