It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:42

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: CRT Projectors?
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 07:56 
So, does anyone here watch their LDs on a CRT projector? The big 9 inch CRT projectors are among the finest analog displays around, and after hearing about how LDs look best on direct view CRTs one of these projectors would seem a natural step forward after a tube tv. CRT projectors offer really dark blacks and the tubes last much longer than the lamps in digitals - not to mention that CRT pjs are easily repairable and reliable. The 9 inchers, such as: the Electrohome Marquee 9500lc, Barco 909, and Sony G90 seem amazing - these units originally cost tens of thousands and were designed for highly demanding simulation applications. CRT projectors are cheap now, and the big issue with them is size: the 9 inch units weigh around 200 pounds. I have wanted to try out one of these, but there is a dearth of them in my area and the cheap ones on ebay often do not have pics of the tube faces needed to check for phosphor burn (a critical issue - projection CRTs are driven hard and often get burned to a crisp).

These often show up at government surplus auctions, as the military is a big user of CRTs in flight simulators (indeed, VDC still produces the 9500lc at a new cost of $50000 for the government). CRT pjs seem like a real deal now: I have seen good 9500lc's at some very low prices on ebay and Videogon.

Post subject: Re: CRT Projectors?
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 08:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I wish I used a CRT projector. Though you'd still need to deal with all the comb filter and scaling troubles we have with digital displays.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 14:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I onced watched a movie on 2 g90s projected on the same screen. Double the contrast ratio. It was amazing

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 15:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

this guy has a great site for CRTs http://www.curtpalme.com/

problem like you posted already is weight, you can't reall hang it from the celing.
or if you do, start rebuilding your celing :lol:

also lots of setup with the 3 tubes. i always wanted one but never knew how the picture
would look, so i took a chance on a cheap DLP projector and after using it i don't think i could
ever do the CRT due to weight.

but they look great in pictures :mrgreen:
not great looking picture quality, but i would love to have one of those old Pioneer
projector screen TVs where the screen is sort of curved. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 16:00 
rein-o wrote:

Curt's site is great, I have read the CRT pj board there frequently, and Curt seems like the guy to go to if you want to buy a CRT pj without any concerns, since he is the CRT pj equivalent of Duncan Hunter or Kurtis Bahr.

rein-o wrote:
problem like you posted already is weight, you can't reall hang it from the celing.

Actually, most of the CRT installations I've seen in pictures are ceiling mounts. There are some clever methods for hauling these monsters to the ceiling: for example, using chains on each corner and pulling the PJ up chainlink by chainlink. Then, you had best use some very strong bolts to secure the CRT, because the best seat in the house is right under it (sword of Damocles seat)! I have exposed beams in my living room, which would make a ceiling mount easier, usually you need access to the floor joists to really secure the beast. Your piece of mind when sitting under the CRT projector will be directly proportional to the effort you put into the ceiling mount :). If I find one, I might just leave it on the floor (you can also build a coffee table around it).

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 16:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yes, i have seen the coffee table hiding place.
i think also for celing mount, depending on the build you may have to add extra beams.

in the past i though about buying a cheaper one to get an idea of quality and then upgrade.
but i never did.

but you could also buy a cheap one locally and then get parts to replace or send off boards to curt palme for
repairs.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 18:37 
I had a Barco 801S,they are a pain in the a** to adjust. but once you have everything set the picture is verry sharp and natural like.

Also a big plus is even do they are 15+ years old they do 1080P and up

But big and heavy fcukers

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 19:03 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Read a review in Widescreen Review mag not too long ago (right before 1080P LCDs, Plasmas started to hit the market) about this one really hi-end, pricey CRT projector Crystal View 9" CRT Projector

The reviewer, couldn't remember who it was, couldn't stop raving about it. It kinda helped the Crystal View provided a Panasonic D-5 deck with some HD programming on D-5 tape to help show off its capabilities. After the review he said he was now spoiled and he'd never look at his current projector the same anymore :lol:

Problem is, those Crystal View CRT projectors are far from cheap.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 00:15 
Any thoughts on this Projector for sale @ $250? Good deal?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/3142162374.html

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 01:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

http://www.curtpalme.com/CRTforSale_EntryLevel.shtm

he has it for close to the same price, so if you want to try one i would get it and
this way you can tell for yourself.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 10:06 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:

also lots of setup with the 3 tubes. i always wanted one but never knew how the picture
would look, so i took a chance on a cheap DLP projector and after using it i don't think i could
ever do the CRT due to weight.

but they look great in pictures :mrgreen:
not great looking picture quality, but i would love to have one of those old Pioneer
projector screen TVs where the screen is sort of curved. :thumbup:

If I had one I'd need a bigger port window those things are huge over a LCD/DLP projector.

If I had one mounting it to the ceiling I'd need long coach blots drilled though the floor joists so it won't have any tendency move or dropping on your head.

I use LCD projector its not the best in the world but its satisfactory enough to seeing the image projected just over 100".

I'm not sure if their more troublesome to maintain over a LCD projector?

This one is about the size of house at
Quote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barco-808s-Mu ... _735wt_932

Dimensions - L x W x H (inches): 42.4 x 23.23 x 14.25
They can keep it!

The size of it is about the size of my sub :wtf: plus it would take up at least 1/3 quarters of the ceiling space in the kitchen. I'm happy with a LCD its smaller easy to fit and still provides enough entertainment to go around. :)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 10:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

CRT projectors,

Weather these are rear projected sets or front projection, I have always liked the look of the picture quality.

I was particularly interested in the Pioneer Elite rear sets, and also had my eye on the the Mitsubishi's
Panasonic in 1998 released a 47inch rear set that looked (in my eyes anyway) quite stunning, as it wasn't boxy like most.

Front projector for me Would be Sony's G90.
The fact of the matter is that these old projectors still beat the modern day projectors in the areas of contrast, resolution and the deep blacks . . . . . . .Of which is a testament of how far ahead they were.

Now that I have a place of my own, and the technology has improved with each manufacturers newest models, I have personally come to this rough conclusion . . . . . .This is just my own comments guys so forgive me for any flaws I may have;

I do not have a dedicated Home theater room so my system is based in my living room.
In all that I have done with reference decorating, fittings, carpets pictures, ect. . . . I have tried to keep my room looking as neutral as possible.

Now if I was to get one of these HUGE projectors fitted to my ceiling, then I know for sure, that this would spoil my room.
The point that laserbite34 made was a well balanced one and I agree with.

If the projector that you have researched, read about the reviews and, so on looks great in action and you are happy with the results, along with the fact that this wouldn't dominate your living environment is to be considered.

If all of these factors are taken into consideration then the end result will be good.

The improvements that have been made in projectors has been outstanding, and for most AV Enthusiast the smaller boxes are also designed more to fit in with peoples decor ect........

Now for those members on this forum who have much larger, or even dedicated Cinema rooms then well done, but I think in most house holds where the home theatre shares the same room as the rest of the family, pleasing the wife and safety factors for any young children can be a tougher challenge indeed.

The bottom line for me is yes I would love to have the 9inch crt projector but, will be more than happy to get the balance right.

It's truly good to see that these projectors are still being serviced, with enough spare parts to go round and well done to those that have them, may they give you many years of cinematic enjoyment.
The modification boards for HDMI is also a good addition for these projectors.

Regards

:D :thumbup:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 11:09 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

First time I saw a Pioneer rear projection TV was around early 90's at local hi-fi home cinema store. I noticed it was brighter when only sat in one position kinder like some LCD tv sets today some models others have uniform brightness.

First ever time I saw one of those large screen tv projectors with slightly curved screen it was front projection around an owners home who takes in students or runs a school and everyone gathers around in the evening. The screen was I think 40 or so inches large.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 22:44 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Whew...! something had me worried for 8mins I couldn't suss out why I wasn't getting no audio output least nothing was showing up on the DCX2496 inputs ABC?

I heard an electrical spike from the fridge as I usually do its gremlins in the electrical wiring that has been on going for years. Well I turned off the DCX2496 and restated thinking it might have knocked out a sensitise input to output as I noticed the LEDs light up! But didn't think nothing of it as its fairly common and I've gotten used to it.

I then looked at the CP65 and I saw input LED working. Then I switched it to bypass and back ON and since it wakes up in optical 04 always I then switched to format 60 and bingo the sound was back up, so it must have tripped out something on the CP65 nothing critical all is fine but first time that's happened. Thank goodness for switching to Bypass and back ON did the trick.

I got get my friend to look at the mains or get the council electrician to look at the mains wiring and find a way to isolate it because I would never spend thousands on black box that filters out gremlins a cheaper one with the same principle functions, yes.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 18:01 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:

Is that 3D-Theatre box worth a damn? $450 for one seems like a pretty steep price to take a flyer on one.

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2013, 23:48 
True fan
True fan

Would a cheap CRT projector be worth anything? I only have a CRT set in my low end theater setup and could get an old Runco Cinema 750 for cheap.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2013, 02:48 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

lizardkingjr wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Is that 3D-Theatre box worth a damn? $450 for one seems like a pretty steep price to take a flyer on one.

TLK :cool:

I heard the jitter is high since its 30 frame per eye.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]