It is currently 09 May 2024, 12:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Faroudja CFD-N
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 04:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So, I recently got a Faroudja CFD-N Decoder. It's an old broadcast quality NTSC decoder (that according to this was first produced in 1987, and according to this Faroudja sold it until at least 1996). It's about 13 pounds and 2"x17"x17.5". It's rainbowing results on the S&W moving plate pattern were decent for a 2D comb filter, but what was best about it was how deeply saturated the 1.0, 0.5 and 1.5 color bars at the bottom of the S&W pattern, and the dot crawl on the 1.5 pattern was very mild. It's probably the best I've seen. Unfortunately there were a bunch of problems with at least my unit. The hue was so off that no matter how much I adjusted it, everything was green and yellow. Though granted I think I'd probably be able to adjust my settings for that. The biggest problem though was this rolling horizontal black bar issue. It's not one big black bar rolling up the screen, it's a group of thin translucent black bars that roll up the screen every so often. It looks like it might be a 60hz hum, but this would be the only device with the problem. I've also tried hooking it up to an isolation transformer, so I'm not quite sure what to think.

Post subject: Re: Faroudja CFD-N
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 05:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i know from the little monitor repair i did there were trim pots inside to correct H and V hold.
can you post a picture of it so others who would know more can help you out.

the rolling should just be an adjustment, or it's the combo of the unit and your TV?

Post subject: Re: Faroudja CFD-N
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 06:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well, each one of the blue bits makes an adjustment, and there appears to be an army of them. I know which one is for chroma and which is for hue (I assume), but past that I'm clueless.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]