It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Faroujda VP-100 Composite Output
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:20 
True fan
True fan

What's the deal with the composite output on the Faroujda VP-100?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look here: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/1/8/ ... 1585_o.jpg

Does it output a prefiltered input signal or is it a simple passthrough?

Post subject: Re: Faroujda VP-100 Composite Output
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:29 
True fan
True fan

acuozzo wrote:

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look here: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/4/1/8/ ... 1585_o.jpg

I don't know, but I once borrowed one of these and tested it with the Snell & Wilcox 2 (floating orb) test pattern, and it looked like crap (rainbows galore). I wouldn't buy one and expect a good result compared to a modern 3D comb filter.

TLK :cool:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 18:41 
True fan
True fan

lizardkingjr wrote:
acuozzo wrote:

I don't know, but I once borrowed one of these and tested it with the Snell & Wilcox 2 (floating orb) test pattern, and it looked like crap (rainbows galore). I wouldn't buy one and expect a good result compared to a modern 3D comb filter.

TLK :cool:

I actually don't intend to use it as a comb filter. Instead, my plan is to use it to correct the APL/AGC problem in my Panasonic LX-900U, as mentioned here: viewtopic.php?p=26023#p26023

This is why I'm interested in its composite output. If it does prefilter the input signal, then it will correct the APL/AGC problem and I can use the corrected output as input to an excellent 3D comb filter.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 20:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The composite out on the VP-100 is just a loop-out. No processing.

BTW, the S&W pattern should not be considered the be all and end all test of comb filters it seems to be around here. If I feed the VP-100 into the Faroudja NRS I get no rainbows except when the orb is moving. The Faroudja does cross-color suppression on S-Video as well.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 20:13 
True fan
True fan

gumbyandpals wrote:
The composite out on the VP-100 is just a loop-out. No processing.

BTW, the S&W pattern should not be considered the be all and end all test of comb filters it seems to be around here. If I feed the VP-100 into the Faroudja NRS I get no rainbows except when the orb is moving. The Faroudja does cross-color suppression on S-Video as well.

I figured. Damn! :cry:

The 3D comb filter in my capture card (Hauppauge USB Live-2, CX23102-based) is supposedly good, but I've yet to test it out.

Maybe I can connect the s-video output of the Faroujda VP-100 to the s-video input of my Panasonic DMR-ES10 and connect its composite output to my capture card.

Does this sound like it'll work?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 21:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Assuming the vp-100 corrects the problem it would work. However, I wouldn't recommend splitting and recombining the signal that many times. You'd have y/c separation in the player, combined for the player's composite output, separation in the vp-100, combination in the DVD recorder, then separation in the capture card.

The AGC problem really is overstated in my opinion. Feed the composite from the lx-900 into the capture card and try out some of your star wars captures. If it looks acceptable to you stick with that. You're not going to be producing a product to sell, I'm assuming, so your eyes will tell you everything you need to know.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2013, 21:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gumbyandpals wrote:
Assuming the vp-100 corrects the problem it would work. However, I wouldn't recommend splitting and recombining the signal that many times. You'd have y/c separation in the player, combined for the player's composite output, separation in the vp-100, combination in the DVD recorder, then separation in the capture card.

The AGC problem really is overstated in my opinion. Feed the composite from the lx-900 into the capture card and try out some of your star wars captures. If it looks acceptable to you stick with that. You're not going to be producing a product to sell, I'm assuming, so your eyes will tell you everything you need to know.

Yep, it's not as bad as its made out to be and since APL varies with each disc you can overcome it with correct calibration of your set and a tweak to brightness/contrast as needed. On my LaserDisc transfers to DVD if the disc has color bars I calibrate my capture card with that or use VE. Afterwards, if a few scenes need tweaked, I do it in Vegas. The vast majority of players have APL problems - its consumer gear after all - so you do a transfer and fix it as needed... And fixes are rarely needed. I've noticed the APL problem on my 900 on only 3 discs so far and a bump of the brightness control fixed it. The 900's night mode that darkens the picture can also fix it on discs that play way too light.

Oh, and yes, the VP-100 clamps the APL black level to 7.5 IRE so it's S-Video out appears to have full dynamic range and doesn't 'float' like the stock 900. I use it in place of the comb filters in my 900 and Philips CDV-488 - it's especially useful to correct the 900's chroma/luma delay - the Runco fixed that. The VP-100 has excellent chroma bandwidth and since it's a Super NTSC decoder, it decodes SuperNTSC encoded LaserDisc's perfectly. They almost look like DVD's.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 21:17 
True fan
True fan

gumbyandpals wrote:

Alternatively, what if I used the comb filter in my Panasonic DMR-ES10 instead?

The chain would be:
Panasonic LX-900U =(C)=> Faroudja VP-100 =(*)=> Panasonic DMR-ES10 =(S)=> Capture Card

C=composite
S=s-video
*=Y/C combiner (e.g., http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KR7FY)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 23:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

acuozzo wrote:
gumbyandpals wrote:

The chain would be:
Panasonic LX-900U =(C)=> Faroudja VP-100 =(*)=> Panasonic DMR-ES10 =(S)=> Capture Card

C=composite
S=s-video

Going through three comb filters sounds like a bad idea. Also that plug would be the wrong thing for this. You'd want female RCA to male S-Video.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013, 23:20 
True fan
True fan

naiaru wrote:
acuozzo wrote:
gumbyandpals wrote:

The chain would be:

C=composite
S=s-video

Going through three comb filters sounds like a bad idea. Also that plug would be the wrong thing for this. You'd want female RCA to male S-Video.

You're probably right. :(

I was planning to connect the plug to the s-video cable coming from the Faroudja VP-100. I didn't think of connecting it directly... thanks!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 18:36 
True fan
True fan

disclord: What Delay value do you set on the Faroudja VP-100 for your Panasonic LX-900U (the 1993 one)?

Is there a way to experimentally determine which value is best for my player?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 20:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

acuozzo wrote:
disclord: What Delay value do you set on the Faroudja VP-100 for your Panasonic LX-900U (the 1993 one)?

It's the -.5 position to the left of the 12o'clock straight up position. If you have AVS or VE there are chroma/luma delay patterns to set it. If you don't have them, use a disc with a red border somewhere and adjust it slightly till the red is inside the Luma border but not spilling the other direction. You'll be able to see the right setting because the I,age will kind of pop into focus since it doesn't have the chroma blurring outside of the edges. You won't need much adjustment though, probably no more than -1.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 20:50 
True fan
True fan

disclord wrote:
acuozzo wrote:

It's the -.5 position to the left of the 12o'clock straight up position. If you have AVS or VE there are chroma/luma delay patterns to set it. If you don't have them, use a disc with a red border somewhere and adjust it slightly till the red is inside the Luma border but not spilling the other direction. You'll be able to see the right setting because the I,age will kind of pop into focus since it doesn't have the chroma blurring outside of the edges. You won't need much adjustment though, probably no more than -1.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]