It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can my CLD-59 work with my home theater system?
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 03:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Ok so I have a Pioneer CLD-59 Laserdisc player and I have a Pioneer HTP-522 5.1 Home Theatre System (the actual individual receiver/amp itself being a VSX-522-K). Anyway, since my 5.1 set up is in my lounge room connected to my Hisense 55" LED HDTV I thought I would move my Laserdisc player into the lounge for a test. I couldn't get it to work however I didn't have much time so I may have missed something. However before trying again (since its actuelly quite a big bother to shift my LD player into the lounge) I have decided to ask here first to see if anyone knows whether or not its even possible to hook up my CLD-59 to my VSX-522-K receiver.

Here is a picture of the back of a VSX-522-K:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
VSX-522-K: Image

Could anyone help me out? Where should the component cables go? What input setting would I have to set the receiver to? My HDTV has a: AV 1 and AV 2 and component inputs.

Last edited by alien on 03 Jun 2013, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Can my CLD-59 work with my home theater system?
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 04:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I'm guessing this is one of those receiver/amps that doesn't upconvert incoming video signals? So if you're connecting the LD player via composite cable, you will most likely have to connect a composite cable from the amp to the TV in order to work.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 07:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I'm guessing this is one of those receiver/amps that doesn't upconvert incoming video signals? So if you're connecting the LD player via composite cable, you will most likely have to connect a composite cable from the amp to the TV in order to work.

I'm not sure if it upconverts video signals or not, but what you are saying is that I'd have to connect a additional composite cable from the amp to the TV with the first composite cable being connected from the Laserdisc player directly into the amp?

Do you think its a possibility that selecting one of the 4 available HDMI outputs on my HDTV might display the video and audio of the Laserdisc player that is connected via composite to the receiver? Because I didn't try selecting any of the HDMI outputs previously, I just tried the AV 1 and AV 2 outputs which both had 'No Signal'.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 17:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Just checked the manual for this amp. It does not upconvert. Even says if you connect a video source via composite, HDMI won't work for that source . . .

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013, 18:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Just checked the manual for this amp. It does not upconvert. Even says if you connect a video source via composite, HDMI won't work for that source . . .

The receiver not cross converting isn't necessarily a bad thing - I had a Kenwood Soverign VR-5090 THX receiver that converted everything to Component and output it via component and its decoding of composite and S-Video was awful - instead of using any sort of comb filter, composite was decoded with a simple notch filter, limiting luma resolution to 260 lines and the chroma was decoded with an equiband decoder that had only .5 MHz of bandwidth, meaning 40 lines of chroma resolution, max. The S-Video chroma was also demodulated with the .5MHz equiband decoding, destroying S-Video's ability to carry extended color detail. So I ended up running everything through its matching output to the TV - composite to composite, S to S and component to component, thus bypassing the built in conversion and convenience of using only a single component connection. I couldn't believe THX would put their name on a receiver that destroyed NTSC signals like that. Later the whole receiver failed due to solder defects and the SHARC chip thinking AC-3 was DTS and DTS was MPEG audio - there's that excellent THX QC for ya! I got a Denon AVR-3808CI to replace it. It's not THX certified, but it has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, which I think is one of the most important advances in receivers ever introduced - I never imagined my speakers and room could sound so good.

Happily, my Denon has full bandwidth Faroudja SuperNTSC decoding and deinterlacing/upconversion built in so I don't have to worry about composite or S-Video signals being destroyed when output via the HDMI jack, and the chroma demodulation is a full 2MHz, which is 160-lines. My only wish is that its HDMI could pass 3D signals, but its just a bit too old for that.

Anyway, having to use seperate connections for each type of signal ensures that the receiver isn't degrading them - and if your television has a good 3D or 2D comb filter then you are getting the best quality from LaserDisc's.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 02:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elahrairrah wrote:

Ok..

So knowing that the receiver doesn't upconvert/display the Laserdisc video/audio signal via any of the HDMI outputs, just going on what you were saying before, are you suggesting that I'd have to connect a additional composite cable from the amp to the TV with the first composite cable being connected from the Laserdisc player directly into the amp in order for the receiver to detect the Laserdisc player? or are you trying to say something else?

Also I only have one set of RCA composite cables and the 2 leads are colored RED and WHITE, no third YELLOW cable. Would I have to buy composite cables that include the YELLOW lead as well? Because the RCA composite RED and WHITE only cables I currently have work fine when plugged in directly to my 32" LCD.

Picture quality is not so much an issue as I don't plan to keep the LD player hooked up to my 55" LED, the only reason I'm doing this is for a test because the 5.1 surround sound set up happens to be connected to my 55" display, so its all about curiously in checking out what Laserdisc sound has to offer...

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2013, 02:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

sorry that i didn't read all of the above.
can't you just hook the audio to the amp/receiver and the video straight into the 55"??

and from what i see in that scan of the instructions you will need to use yellow from LD to receiver and yellow from receiver to TV.

that's what i had to do with my pioneer receiver, i couldn't use S-Video for all stuff and yellow for my VCR.
it all had to be the same type in same type out.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 02:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I found a spare RCA composite cable that includes the yellow lead unlike my previous set that only came with red and white leads. So when I have some time I'll try hooking the player up with it. I will report back here as soon as I do regardless of what happens.

Thanks for the help so far guys, appreciate it.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 03:23 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

you can use the red or white also, dosen't have to be yellow.
just make sure you use the same color.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 04:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well I had a bit more time today and I have tried just about every alternative way using my RCA composite cables to try and hook up my LD player to my receiver and sadly nothing at all worked, no sound no video, nothing. I tried selecting all the different inputs on both the receiver and the TV itself as well as trying to connect the RCA cables into all the available "yellow, red and white" ports at the back of the receiver and like I said nothing worked. I even tried hooking up the LD player directly into the "55 HDTV itself (without the receiver) and even then I could not get anything to work.

It seems as though both my 55" HDTV and receiver are too modern to work with analog devices full stop and believe me I tried.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 19:25 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That just seems odd. My VSX-53 has an onscreen menu and you can change inputs and outputs, if it has that make sure the analog isn't switched off by default or something. I would think running the input into the DVD and audio in DVD audio in and then a single composite to TV from the monitor out would work. Are you sure the player works? Also what audio outputs are you using on the CLD? Analog or digital? Make sure you have the right ones for the disc you're playing. I have analog, digital, RF and optical coming out of mine.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 23:34 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

alien wrote:
Well I had a bit more time today and I have tried just about every alternative way using my RCA composite cables to try and hook up my LD player to my receiver and sadly nothing at all worked, no sound no video, nothing. I tried selecting all the different inputs on both the receiver and the TV itself as well as trying to connect the RCA cables into all the available "yellow, red and white" ports at the back of the receiver and like I said nothing worked. I even tried hooking up the LD player directly into the "55 HDTV itself (without the receiver) and even then I could not get anything to work.

It seems as though both my 55" HDTV and receiver are too modern to work with analog devices full stop and believe me I tried.

If your TV has a composite jack on the back then it is duty bound to accept composite video. It can't do anything else. That's what it's FOR. Composite is always analog SD. If your TV can't sync to that then it isnt too modern, its just poorly made. If the LD player doesn't work when plugged into the TV then either it's broken, or your TV is, or there is some kind of NTSC/PAL problem.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]