It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:23

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Internal Photos of Crystalio II VPS-3800 Pro and VPS-330
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 18:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Custom gamma settings wont work for faroudja as it has a completely different output.

vxp looks washed out because ld is supposed to look less detailed. Dont expect sharp dvd or bluray look. Truelife is edge/detail enhancement. You need to do custom but it is difficult to adjust without any pattern.

Bad deinterlacing on faroudja makes truelife and superior noise reduction useless. Thats why I choose vxp.

there is no ire test pattern disc for muse. So I cant calibrate it. Test disc only has 4 patterns. I could only get convergence and contrast adjusted. Muse output appears within acceptable error level. My decoder is sony 4000.

I dont have top gun I have dances with wolves. It is a good disc.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 14:31 
Honest fan
Honest fan

What experience do you guys have with checker boarding from the Vps-3800 comb filter? Through testing I found I need to keep Luma Coring below 8 to remove checker boarding. Anything above this and there's lots of checkers.

My settings are:

Luma gain 4
chroma gain 0
Luma Coring 8
chroma Coring 65

This produces the most detail (using snell and Wilcox test pattern) while keeping the checker blocks to a minimum. I'd like to increase the luma coring further but the issue is very noticeable if I do.

I've used your suggested settings Substance but it becomes too noisy from all the blocking.

Anyone had this experience or is my unit faulty in some way?

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 23:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I spent a little more time on the registers with the tvp5160 service manual. I only calibrated for hld-x0 input.

X0 settings:

Y/c at 2 out of 8(no effect since composite input is used)
Ynr at 0 out of 8
Cnr at 2 out of 8
Vnr at 0 out of 5(I use 1 or 2 on very noisy discs)
Dnr at 0 out of 2(I use 1 on super noisy discs/ causes soft picture)
Sharpness 0 out of 8

Crystalio 2 vps-3800 settings:

Y/c -0.25 pixel

Luma gain 1
Chroma gain 1
Luma coring 25
Chroma coring 25

Dot crawl filter : adaptive

Chroma trap: off

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2015, 17:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have been testing the good old Crystalio II against the new Lumagen Radiance 2144. I guess Crystalio II is not the king of LD processing anymore.

- Lumagen no ringing scaling is extremely suitable for LD.
- ADV7800 3D comb filter is exact same in S&W performance but much better in real life video(no dot crawl in motion at all)
- Darbe processing works on LD too for whatever that is worth
- Support from Lumagen is second to none. (naturally for what they charge for the thing)

Issues:
There are two bugs. It has a dedicated FPGA for film mode de-interlacing which performs better than Gennum VXP for known film sources. This mode has geometry issues for composite inputs. It has an image based auto aspect ratio function. It detects the aspect ratio (LBX, FS, WS etc..) analyzing the video and select the correct aspect ratio mode automatically. This function is not enabled for composite inputs.

Jim from Lumagen confirmed these issues and they are already working on a fix which will be available soon. I requested having the composite filter registers available to users. He confirmed they will also work on this.

Of course, it also supports passing thru all new codecs(including Dolby Atmos), up to 4K60 upscaling, super fast/solid HDMI handshaking of sources, and most importantly 4913 point 3D LUT video calibration.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2015, 19:09 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Finally got a hold of a replacement 3800 after mine caught fire!

Any idea if there is a way to output 480i from the unit? I want to be able to use the comb filter in the Crystalio but then output to an external scaler for de-interlacing.

I have tried outputting from the RGB analogue to the component input of my TV but there seems to be a sync issue as the picture is completely garbled and drops in and out.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 04:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm quite sure the CII outputs 480p at lowest resolution.

Not really related to the topic but I recently tried using a VPS-2300 in line with my Laserdisc player. After playing around with the settings I finally saw how much better it was than my previous DVDO Edge. Scaling to 1080p is very good with nice textures and no ringing as far as I can see. Deinterlacing is great too and comb filter is surprisingly strong considering it being 2D. Only drawside is the delay (three frames) and its slow menus. I know the scaling algorithm can cause macroblocking but so far I haven't seen any. Maybe I'll watch a Laserdisc soon.

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3